Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well done Rob, about time we had a Michell thread, l myself my going to start one entitled " get yer Gyro's out for the boys" but will scrap that one now. :)

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gyro SE owner here too! Until recently it mainly carried an SME309 and Kontrpunkt b but these are doing duties elsewhere at the mo so it's currently sporting......nothing.

Can't help thinking my Audio Note Arm Two/II would look nice back on it though...

Reactions: DomT

rich46

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2010
had a few linn rega project 10 BEST by a mile full orbe under rated classic design/sme

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would still like one of these, so if you know anybody with one?

I have owned Gyro SE, Orbe SE and an original Transcriptors. All nice decks. I would also like a Focus 1 as well, so again if anybody has one?

Reactions: macvisual

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
OK then chaps with the current setup, what would be the next step?

Michell Gryro SE (with dampening, decoupling kit and clamp)

Standard PSU

Standard Rega RB300

Ortofon 2M Blue

~Phonostage not decided, currently a Rega Brio-R but I doubt that will stay long term.

The RB300 arm is not the best, bit old and the base is a bit loose. I guess this might be the first place to look (S/H TechnoArm?), other than the HR PSU?

Budget, depending what I spend on the next amp, if I am sensible that would give me ~£300.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
OK then chaps with the current setup, what would be the next step?Michell Gryro SE (with dampening, decoupling kit and clamp)

Standard PSU

Standard Rega RB300

Ortofon 2M Blue

~Phonostage not decided, currently a Rega Brio-R but I doubt that will stay long term.

The RB300 arm is not the best, bit old and the base is a bit loose. I guess this might be the first place to look (S/H TechnoArm?), other than the HR PSU?

Budget, depending what I spend on the next amp, if I am sensible that would give me ~£300.
Audiomods arm, or HR PSU? Both would be a great choice.

MrSammy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Audiomods arm, or HR PSU? Both would be a great choice.
Definitely the HR PSU and then get the DINO and NC powersupply as the cases match the HR PSU since they are made by Trichord.

The AN IQ range work well on the REGA and in offer a different UK made approach to the Ortofon MM range.

My Hydraulic Reference is a Transcriptors but can I still put in this thread?

Smooth Operator

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2012
Ludlow, UK
AKA
Peter
Just checking in as a fellow Michell owner. My Orbe SE/SME IV/Dynavector is the best TT I've owned by a country mile. The enginering is superb and we all know about the sonic capabilities of Michell TTs; my only regret is not getting a slightly more 'blingy' version. With the exception of the arm, mine's all black - including the granite slab it stands on.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just checking in as a fellow Michell owner. My Orbe SE/SME IV/Dynavector is the best TT I've owned by a country mile. The enginering is superb and we all know about the sonic capabilities of Michell TTs; my only regret is not getting a slightly more 'blingy' version. With the exception of the arm, mine's all black - including the granite slab it stands on.
Hoops and yourself are using granite as isolation- any cop?

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my bit of Granite for about 4 years now, plus 8 coasters and 8 Vibrapods all mounted on a corner shelf mainly for looks lol.

I did Bling my Gyro SE at the time when Michell released 99 Gyro SEduction, so this was my take of a different SEduction. One day I might finish of with a complete chrome motor housing.

I would recommend a Audiomods tonearm any day, however Origin Live tonearms are also mouth watering too!!

I had a tinted cover made special order, which worked out cheaper than the Michell.

Next upgrade is a proper Pre amp to replace my AV amp.

• Upvote
Reactions: Plums

Smooth Operator

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2012
Ludlow, UK
AKA
Peter
Hoops and yourself are using granite as isolation- any cop?
Not heard any difference my end, looks nice though and it cant not help can it? :^
I tend to echo Rob's sentiments here, Andy. I can't pretend there's any identifiable improvement in sound quality, nor does it harm it, but it does show the TT off well. I feel that the SE variants with their small footprint can look a little 'lost'(?) on top of a rack of equipment, particularly if the shelves are glass, as mine are (Stands Unique jobby).

Worth investigating solely from an aesthetic point of view though ... :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.