Michell

Plums

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2012
The Norf
Short of starting up a 'granite' thread, I'm in with this approach, too. This is more, now, as the t/t has been moved off the rack onto the bookcases (ie records storage), which don't quite evenly meet up. So I guess sound quality in my shoddy setup is​ improved!

I really need to wall mount, one day, to try to isolate the kids' heavy footfall.

Plums

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2012
The Norf
Any tips on covers? I literally have to 'dust my TT down' every week before using it, as it often isn't more than that, sadly. Can't be doing it any good, however striking it may look. The Michell one seems awfully expensive, and hardly an upgrade (& new music is usually the priority. And food. And wine, obviously. Sometimes even new kids' shoes. I'll say no more on budgetary prioritisation).

Suggestions?

I've had my bit of Granite for about 4 years now, plus 8 coasters and 8 Vibrapods all mounted on a corner shelf mainly for looks lol.I did Bling my Gyro SE at the time when Michell released 99 Gyro SEduction, so this was my take of a different SEduction. One day I might finish of with a complete chrome motor housing.

I would recommend a Audiomods tonearm any day, however Origin Live tonearms are also mouth watering too!!

I had a tinted cover made special order, which worked out cheaper than the Michell.

Next upgrade is a proper Pre amp to replace my AV amp.

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
A nice piece of cloth, but only when the cartridge has a good stylus guard.

I keep my Gyro SE and Orbe hidden when not in use.

Or when not dusting them ;-)

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Short of starting up a 'granite' thread, I'm in with this approach, too. This is more, now, as the t/t has been moved off the rack onto the bookcases (ie records storage), which don't quite evenly meet up. So I guess sound quality in my shoddy setup is​ improved!I really need to wall mount, one day, to try to isolate the kids' heavy footfall.
Years ago l had a full Orbe, and a floor from hell, l wall mounted her and the improvement was not subtle, but my Gyro SE odviously has a lot less real estate to flap about......

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any tips on covers? I literally have to 'dust my TT down' every week before using it, as it often isn't more than that, sadly. Can't be doing it any good, however striking it may look. The Michell one seems awfully expensive, and hardly an upgrade (& new music is usually the priority. And food. And wine, obviously. Sometimes even new kids' shoes. I'll say no more on budgetary prioritisation).Suggestions?
Hi Plums,

I ordered my cover to my specifications tint etc from Plasticonline.co.uk. However you don't need massive slots on either side for handles, and cable route keep small not like my cover.

Hope this helps?

• Upvote
Reactions: misterpete

Plums

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2012
The Norf
Nice one. I'll look into that, then. Thanks mate.

Hi Plums, I ordered my cover to my specifications tint etc from Plasticonline.co.uk. However you don't need massive slots on either side for handles, and cable route keep small not like my cover.

Hope this helps?
- - - Updated - - -

It really is such a weakness, I feel, that my Goldring doesn't have any stylus guard. You only need to lose one - and be over £200 out of pocket - to start rethinking things. Obviously, contraception is too late...

A nice piece of cloth, but only when the cartridge has a good stylus guard.I keep my Gyro SE and Orbe hidden when not in use.

Or when not dusting them ;-)

Smooth Operator

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2012
Ludlow, UK
AKA
Peter
Any tips on covers? I literally have to 'dust my TT down' every week before using it, as it often isn't more than that, sadly. Can't be doing it any good, however striking it may look. The Michell one seems awfully expensive, and hardly an upgrade (& new music is usually the priority. And food. And wine, obviously. Sometimes even new kids' shoes. I'll say no more on budgetary prioritisation).Suggestions?
Yes, Plums, I use the Michell SEcure dust cover and agree that it was rather overpriced at about £230 or so. On the positive side, it is well made and the front profile is shaped to follow the curve of the TT so it looks harmonious. On the other hand, it is a fairly close fit such that with my arm and cartridge combo there are only a few millemetres clearance between the high point of the arm finger lift (the tallest part of the arm) and the underside of the lid. I had hoped to sit my TT feet in small steel cups (like some of the photos in this thread - see Beyond you's example) but had to adandon that idea when I realised that it would raise the TT too high in relation to the lid.

I would suggest that a custom made cover might be a better bet.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011

I had this made at a local Plastics fabricator for £60. Front, top and back formed from one piece with the sides glued on. It was all laser cut and finished by hand from acrylic sheet. The base was cut to fit my wall shelf - I thought black was a nice contrast. This is about as cheap as it gets !

The thing about the Gyro is it's a looker even when not in use so it should be on display.

Plums

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2012
The Norf
Thanks to everyone - Michell owners, such harbingers of good taste! - for the suggestions. Ian, Chesterfield isn't so far from me, do you have contact details for this company please?

Dave/Plums

I had this made at a local Plastics fabricator for £60. Front, top and back formed from one piece with the sides glued on. It was all laser cut and finished by hand from acrylic sheet. The base was cut to fit my wall shelf - I thought black was a nice contrast. This is about as cheap as it gets !

The thing about the Gyro is it's a looker even when not in use so it should be on display.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
This is the company search I did ... it's acrylic sheets direct

The web site is a defunct domain name the owner bought - it's actually a company called PPS-UK.

The best thing I can suggest is you phone them and get a price - if their workshop is busy they take care of everything else before small one off jobs - my cover took around 2 weeks and a load of nagging but they were snowed under with work at the time. Give them the inside dimensions you want and that you want one piece top, sides and back with 'glued on sides'. They may not be the quickest guns in the west but they are cheap.

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
My often-seen hybrid Gyro SE ...

13983067206_f194c6b24b_o.jpg

An old and unused GyroDec MkII, some Pedersen parts, subchassis-mounted Maxon DC motor, DIY controller.

The next thing to add is an eddy current brake. The braking disc and neodymium magnets are in, now need some time to design a magnet holder and have it 3D-printed.

Reactions: REW

deejaitch

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2014
Heathfield E Sussex
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

An old and unused GyroDec MkII, some Pedersen parts, subchassis-mounted Maxon DC motor, DIY controller.

The next thing to add is an eddy current brake. The braking disc and neodymium magnets are in, now need some time to design a magnet holder and have it 3D-printed.
I'm off to get some tissues :shock: :love:

MrSammy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I am keen to see how the Eddy Brake works in practice. I am still trying to get the time to try a flat belt on a machined crowned pulley.

How do you think the SME style hanging suspension behaves on the Pedersen mod Vs the Springs of the Michell? Does it actually improve it?

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

What in the world is an eddy current brake? :geek:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wow! Some lovely looking decks there! With all the piccies of wall shelves etc and isolationhas anyone tried the Michell Iso base- looks very nice but the price a bit off putting.....

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What in the world is an eddy current brake? :geek:
An eddy current brake is a non contact magnetically operated disc brake. I've encountered them as load simulators on cycle trainers..... Not sure how you would use one on a deck other than to stop the plinth instantly as soon as you 'killed' the drive

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online