Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the past few days I have been anxiously awaiting the return of my LP12 with it's various upgrades.  This morning it arrived back at my house and after a settling in period I finally got to try it out.  I must firstly admit that I had begun to question whether i would really notice any difference or would it be emperor's new clothes, ie I have just spent a shed load of money so it must sound better mustn't it!  The upgrades I had were a karousel, keel and Trampoline as well as an Akurate Radikal.

Anyway first album on was John Martyn Grace and Danger.  It took a couple of tracks for my ears to adjust and it genuinely was like listening to the album for the very first time.  There was so much more musical/instrumental detail coming from the speakers it was astounding.  I then tried a couple of tracks from The Man with the Horn by Miles Davis again each instrument had so much more detail and I could hear Miles' trumpet playing like never before.  I also noticed that subconsciously my feet were tapping and my hands drumming along to the music.

It has made me think now about seriously bringing forward the upgrade to my phono stage and cartridge, which is the next weakest link to see what further improvements I can achieve.

If anyone is considering any of these upgrades for their own Linn I would really recommend them.  I cannot say how much each component individually adds to the total improvement I noticed, but getting it all done in one hit has been staggering and totally earblowing and probably the best way to appreciate the full impact of the upgrades.  it was expensive but money very well spent.

Now back to the listening 😁

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glad you like it.  Mind, for nearly $10,000, I would expect no less!

Last edited by a moderator:

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Always liked that Miles album despite it being under rated.  Enjoy, those all individually would be significant upgrades.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice indeed! 

You're on a similar path to me. albeit slightly ahead. Within the past year I have had Lingo 4, Karousel, Kore and Trampolin, with similar listening results! And the latest addition - Uphorik - puts us on a similar glide-path.

Enjoy!

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice! What were you using before?
I have had this deck from new in 1985 and I think it's highest spec was a Valhalla so I managed to get all the internal upgrades done at once.   I have the original Ittok LV II fitted when I brought it and currently a Dynavector dv-10x5 high output through a Rega phono mini A2D.  The cartridge and phono stage will be my next upgrades followed by the arm.  

Reactions: akamatsu

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having done some more listening the most obvious things that I notice is much more detail in the instruments. 

As a former bass player my passion is following the bass guitar on any recordings.  On the Miles Davis album The man with the horn, I can now appreciate more the techniques used by Marcus Miller and the sound he manages to wring from the fender he is using.   Subtle changes in finger style are more noticeable and following his renowned thumb action is also far easier.  On the John Martyn records I could now identify when the fretless bass was being played over the pickups to being plucked nearer or over the fingerboard to give a more dub bass feel with the notes blooming rather than having a definate front edge (hope that makes sense).  These are all techniques I used to use so it is lovely to be able to identify them with ease.  My challenge to myself is to play a record and have a game in identifying the bassist and/or the bass used.  So far i identified a Wal bass and looked up the bass player as Mick Karn and Pino Palladio but his style is very easy to identify and I know he mainly uses Musicman.

On the treble side the detail now showing from keyboards and percussion is noticeably much more. I am hearing musical notes and flourishes that I did not know even existed on the recording and interestingly backing vocals are now more noticable

Anyway, enough of my ramblings I now need to go away and just enjoy my new toy.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the bass is one of the most difficult instrument to reproduce on a home audio system must sinking into a muddled low frequency drone on most systems.  Good to hear that the upgrades were able to clean up the lows and allow the contributions of the "low man in the band" to flourish!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had this deck from new in 1985 and I think it's highest spec was a Valhalla so I managed to get all the internal upgrades done at once.   I have the original Ittok LV II fitted when I brought it and currently a Dynavector dv-10x5 high output through a Rega phono mini A2D.  The cartridge and phono stage will be my next upgrades followed by the arm.  
Wow! 1985 was pre-Cirkus. That must have been quite an upgrade!

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akamatsu. Indeed it was/is and my ears are the beneficiaries 😁 Also why I have been rambling so much about the positive differences in every album I am noticing. 

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akamatsu. Indeed it was/is and my ears are the beneficiaries 😁 Also why I have been rambling so much about the positive differences in every album I am noticing. 
Your description of the improvements communicates very well, and is spot on with my experiences with LP12 upgrades. Just more access to the music. I too enjoy following the bass line. But I don't have near the insight that you do. Enjoy! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.