Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I was going to postpone my spinning of Neil Diamond "Hot August Night" until I get the Ekstatik next month. But I may have to render it with the Kandid instead. I'm curious to compare since the Qobuz offering is 192/24. My copy is an original so all analogue. But it will be digitized to 192/24 by the Urika 2. So the DSM will, in both cases see a 192/24 bitstream. So it should come down to which bitstream contains more musical information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roonster111

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last night, I watched most of a documentary about Gordon Lightfoot. He passed away on May 1, if you didn't know already. I was in the theatre with the Linn 5.1 system. I enjoyed it so much I got up and dug out the only album of his that I own; "Gord's Gold." I don't remember when or where I got it, but obviously acquired very used and never played by me as it was pretty dirty and beat up. So I cleaned it up and gave disc 2 a spin. What an enjoyable listening experience. For nearly 50 years (1975) that music was hidden deep in the grooves never before heard by anyone. But the transcription LP12 revealed it. The day of Gord's passing, I streamed a few of his songs on Qobuz. Last night was a completely different experience. Sometimes DS is simply no substitute for listening to vinyl.

P.S. I recall back when LPs were out of fashion Ivor saying that a quality stylus could reach deeper into the groove where no stylus had gone before, thus revealing previously unplayed music, and not to shy away from buying used discs.

Last edited:

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gordon Lighfoot? I did not know him. I think this weekend I'm going to listen Gordon on Qobuz...It will be dangerous to have a trip around Bologna in these days!

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gordon Lighfoot? I did not know him. I think this weekend I'm going to listen Gordon on Qobuz...It will be dangerous to have a trip around Bologna in these days!
As a teenager, the song "Sundown" caught my ear even on a transistor radio. "If You Could Read My Mind" would have the best chance of being familiar to you.

Reactions: Bianchennero

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chad Kassem is vociferous in not using digital copies for his own Analog Productions label (unless the original recording was digital) but, I'm pretty sure, Acoustic Sounds will sell anyone else's LPs regardless of provenance.

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chad Kassem is vociferous in not using digital copies for his own Analog Productions label (unless the original recording was digital) but, I'm pretty sure, Acoustic Sounds will sell anyone else's LPs regardless of provenance.
Yes, you're correct.
I've bought hundreds of albums from Analogue Productions and I've found that I have the greatest chance of getting good sound from all analog recordings.
Luckily, Chad clearly differentiates all analog LPs from any other process.

Reactions: ThomasOK

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't know, but that Concorde has a pretty big smile on his face!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I was going to postpone my spinning of Neil Diamond "Hot August Night" until I get the Ekstatik next month. But I may have to render it with the Kandid instead. I'm curious to compare since the Qobuz offering is 192/24. My copy is an original so all analogue. But it will be digitized to 192/24 by the Urika 2. So the DSM will, in both cases see a 192/24 bitstream. So it should come down to which bitstream contains more musical information.
Listening to the LP now. I prefer it over the Qobuz 192/24 offering. But I think it may come down to personal preference. I'm hearing more definition in the bass, as is usually the case with an LP. For a digitally stored copy, the Qobuz version is quite satisfying.

Reactions: Roonster111

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been listening to my old generation Klimax hub (2020) and Organic Exaktbox a lot of late while the LP12 was back at the shop for a service and some upgrades (Ekstaik). Roon has introducing me to a lot of great new (to me) music and the streaming sounds wonderful out of my PMC Fact 12 speakers (also newish to me). The streaming sounds about as good as I remember the old LP12 and my question is, does anybody think the NGKDSM sounds better that their fully loaded LP12? It must be getting pretty close.

Clearly, the LP12 and the KDSM have both improved a great deal over the years.

Often the vinyl version of an album sounds better than the digital version of the same album. However, it isn’t possible to make a definitive comparison and say one format is better than the other because the mastering is different. Similarly, SACD sourced files often sound better than other digital files. The apparent superiority of vinyl and DSD in some cases may be due to some CDs and digital files being casualties of the loudness wars.

In an ideal world, I‘d have both a DSM and an LP12. Unfortunately, the cost of maintaining both at the cutting edge of sound quality was too great and I had to choose between them - a bit like being forced to decide which is your favourite child. The silver lining was that I have been able to preserve my vinyl records as digital files thanks to Songcorder. Incredibly, they often still sound better than the equivalent CD rip.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no wish to reopen old arguments, but have found that digital has improved and become for want of a better expression more analogue-like with the introduction of the Melco S100 Switch, a fibre link to the KDSM/3 with Finisair SFP modules and the SR Tranquility Pods. All things I would have thought ridiculous in a hifi set up a couple of years ago.

Reactions: JWT and quinn_t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online