Nad M3 in mint condition gamble or still good ?

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the chance to buy a Nad M3 for £950 to drive my Dali epicon 2's. My question is do you think this would be good pairing and is it still regarded as a quality amp although I realize it is a few years old ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the chance to buy a Nad M3 for £950 to drive my Dali epicon 2's. My question is do you think this would be good pairing and is it still regarded as a quality amp although I realize it is a few years old ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
The M3 is a little long in the tooth but it was certainly very well received in 2007 when reviewed by Stereophile

https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107nad/index.html

Being part of NAD's Master Series it was built expensively and a big step up from their other amps. If it's in first class condition, it will give you good sound and probably many more years of service. NAD has moved to Class D now but wisely avoided the early Class D efforts such as Tripath. The M3 (as far as I know) is a traditional AB amplifier. It has all the analogue facilities you're likely to need, but no digital, so no DAC.

To estimate value, take a look at Audio Shark and see how much others are being sold for. Personaaly, because you still need (probably) a streamer and DAC, I'd put the money towards a good used NAD M32 if you can find one with streamer module included, or (at lower quality but including room correction) an M10. The M32 is discontinued and replaced by the M33, but it's a first class amp and unless you have mega-bucks speakers, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between M32 and M33.

Reactions: halcro

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The M3 is a little long in the tooth but it was certainly very well received in 2007 when reviewed by Stereophile

https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107nad/index.html

Being part of NAD's Master Series it was built expensively and a big step up from their other amps. If it's in first class condition, it will give you good sound and probably many more years of service. NAD has moved to Class D now but wisely avoided the early Class D efforts such as Tripath. The M3 (as far as I know) is a traditional AB amplifier. It has all the analogue facilities you're likely to need, but no digital, so no DAC.

To estimate value, take a look at Audio Shark and see how much others are being sold for. Personaaly, because you still need (probably) a streamer and DAC, I'd put the money towards a good used NAD M32 if you can find one with streamer module included, or (at lower quality but including room correction) an M10. The M32 is discontinued and replaced by the M33, but it's a first class amp and unless you have mega-bucks speakers, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between M32 and M33.
Unfortunately on a bit of a budget and looking to spend around £1000. I just sold my Yamaha a-s1100 hence after a new amp. I heard Nad goes quite well with Dali speakers. My epicon's are rated at 4 ohms and apparently like a bit of power so o thought the M3 looked good with its duel mono design and would fit the bill.
I am concerned with the age but like a solid state amp. 👍

Reactions: Fullrange

robbyrtp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 28, 2009
Runcorn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just having a quick read and apparently reliability and unavailable parts to repair if if goes wrong could be problematic.

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May be to much of a gamble I am on the fence it might be brilliant but I do have a few reservations. Any recommendations I have been looking for days it's draining me !!!! 😟

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did like it but had it a couple of years and just fancied a change. I think it done everything well but I felt the sound was a little two dimensional. I have had a unison research unico in the past which I loved and really regret selling. It seemed to produce magical music with my Dali's.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its going to sound very different to what you have now. I think that it's a huge gamble unless you have actually heard one with your speakers. Given that you liked the Unico (an amp that I also like a lot) the NAD is very very different to my ears in a bad digital way. I know that some people like this new NAD stuff but they are unlikely to be in the Unico camp.

Pretty sure that I saw a secondhand Unico for sale this week.

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought the Nad M3 would be not so different being a duel mono toroidal and not like the M2 which I believe was class d ?
I have heard on a couple of American sites that it is on the warmer side of neural. I think I liked the sound of the unison as it was a hybrid.
I also have had a prima Luna prologue 1 which was ok but I have to integrate my system with my av system. It was great for music bit not good for driving my fronts for av duties unfortunately.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve owned both a Unico and the Prima Luna Prologue. Preferred the Unico which had a bold and expansive sound but I can imagine it not doing justice to your Dali’s. The Prologue seemed dull in comparison. The Dali speakers I’ve heard tended to be quite upfront so I’d want to partner them with an amp with more refinement (I do like Bel Canto). I’m a massive fan of the Krell KAV400xi and, while they’re getting old, they’re built like tanks. The Krell is like the Unico on steroids. Runs hot. First 5 watts are class A…

muff

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2009
Barry wales, , Unite
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Just part exchanged a NAD m3 13years old for a Leema Acoustics Tucana anniversary amp through Audio T Cardiff they gave me £750 for the NAD. I found the NAD partnered with Dali Helicon 3 mk2 speakers worked fine. The NAD is a fine amp if it is in good condition. Should work fine with your Dali speakers. PS its a heavy beast at 55lb.

Reactions: halcro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.