New system £2000

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Hi everyone, I am a newbie but haven't posted in the newbie section yet cos my current system is dead. As the title suggests I am in the market for a new system (CDP, amp, speakers and cables) for two grand. I am lookign for advice regardinga sytem for that kind of money. I am currently in Dublin which has limited hifi outlets but I am happy to travel to England if required. The music I listen to is quite varied in pace and stylebut a common feature is strong percusian, general electronica through to techno, a bit of punk and metal. Any help is most appreciated, cheers, Mike

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Naim CD5i, Naim Nait5i and Dynaudio Audience 52SE

or

Rega Apollo instead of the Naim CD5i.

Very nice.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

E

earl of sodbury

Sonneteer Bronte CD & digital amp plus...

sbrontesys.jpg

Neat Motive One

Motiveone.jpg

Stretches the definition of £2Grand pretty far, but trust me, it's worth it: kick-ass bass, involvementAND real musicality (none of that "chest wig" stuff you get with Naim
wink.png
)

churz (and welcome), eofs

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Thanks for the quick replies, 6mil, I think your amp is worth way more than that so wouldn't want to burn you. Regarding the advice for the Naim equipment, that's what I didn't want to hear. I am stuck with reviews for the moment and I can't find a dealer that doesNaim over here (or Roksan or Rega or Dynaudiofor that matter). I have an audition in the pipeline but I am waiting for the Cyrus 8vs2 to arrive with the shop. They also stock Arcam, Rotel, Primare, B+W, System Audio, Quad and a load of stuff that I cannot afford.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JamPal wrote:

sbrontesys.jpg

Neat Motive Two:

Motivetwo.jpg

Gets you closer to £2grand and trust me, it's worth it: kick-ass bass, involvementAND real musicality. The Naim kit is a good call, especially if you really like to ROCK! in my opinion.

Cheers, Welcome to the tent. James.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
tongue.png

E

earl of sodbury

HiFiWigWam wrote:

JamPal wrote:
sbrontesys.jpg

Neat Motive Two:

Motivetwo.jpg

Gets you closer to £2grand and trust me, it's worth it: kick-ass bass, involvementAND real musicality. The Naim kit is a good call, especially if you really like to ROCK! in my opinion.

Cheers, Welcome to the tent. James.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
tongue.png
:nup:Nah, you want the Ones for that added :rockin:factor - the 2s don't cut it (IMHO).

And if you don't believe it, you're welcome to pop round to Sodbury Acres for an earwig :lwink:

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Thanks guys. I haven't been keeping up with things for a good while, would the suggested Sonneteer etc take me to "the next level" or are they exceptional kit for the price, that I haven't heard of? I have have to be careful as I have already raised my budget a couple of times but I imagine that its a common problem on here!

E

earl of sodbury

jmike wrote:

Thanks guys. I haven't been keeping up with things for a good while, would the suggested Sonneteer etc take me to "the next level" or are they exceptional kit for the price, that I haven't heard of? I have have to be careful as I have already raised my budget a couple of times but I imagine that its a common problem on here!
Fact is we all go crazy spending other people's money - I've heard the combo above and it really synergised, but that's just my opinion - YOU have to go out to dealers and get demos, because there's every possibility you may not share my opinion.

I prefer something like the Sonneteers over the Naim, simply because Naim tend to emphasise the "leading edge" sonically, which to my ear artificially spotlights rhythmic bass and smothers subtler resonant qualities in music.

But TONS of others LOVE Naim to shreds, and you may be one of them.

All we can do is suggest possibles.

And while we're at it, I'd add Exposure 2010S CDP and integrated and PMC GB1 loudspeakers as another synergisitic pairing that rocks and goes low down and dirty for £2200
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

churz, eofs

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Welcome to the Tent!

I'll make my usual suggestions at this price level of Expo 2010 electronics, or Rega (the Apollo CDP is a cracker), with speakers to suit...Earl's suggestions seem good, & I'd throw in ProAc Tablettes or similar (I am biased, you know... check my system).

Personally, I'd avoid B&W speakers, as I've yet to hear a pair I could tolerate, but YMMV...

Happy listening!

Boxer

PS I have a pair of Ruark Talisman 2 for sale (c£ 250) & an MVL amp for c£600 (shameless plug time...shy bairns get nowt...)

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seing as it's your money, try and find a rega dealer and have a listen to

Apolo CD player about 500

Brio amp about 350

R5 speakers again about £700,

when youve had a good listen get him to swap the Brio for a Mira- about £600,

both of the above options leave you some pennies for cable, but if you buy a system you may get a few freebies.

When you have a listen to the Mira, then go a touch over budget and ask him to plug in a Cursa/maia. Thats about £1,100 so it will be over budget but you may think it worth it.

The Soneteer stuff is stonking good kit as well.

If the Rega or Soneteer stuff dont do it then jump in the other direction and try some

Rotel electronics, but given your listed music choices I think Rega or Soneteer will really put a smile on your face.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Are you up for ex-dem or second hand as many people will tell you £2k can quickly turn into what would be a £3-4k RRP system?

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
That could get you a Meridian transport plus DSP33 or DSP5000 speakers plus some new CDs.

Or maybe a CD playerwith built in preamp such as a Quad 99 CDP (about 600 quid I think) plus some active speakers like Dynaudio studio monitors.

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
I will give my vote to the Sonneteer and for the music you are listening to a pair of Usher X718's will do the trick. They well do plinky plonk jazz if need be but give them a bit of stick and the techno will be rocking. They go a treat with the Sonneteer - we normally have that system on the go in the shop.

My 2p's worth.

Nick

A

adam

Another thums up for Sonneteer,suprise,suprise,beg,steal or borrow a Orton:),match well with all the Neat speakers,very high VFM brands.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles