New system £2000

P

purplepleaser

meninblack wrote:

purplepleaser wrote:
A stunning amp and headphone/pre. Some where to start.Tempted myself.
wink.png

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sugden-Headmaster-pre-Musicmaster-power-amps-MINT_W0QQitemZ260042495896QQihZ016QQcategoryZ122650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lee:)
Yes! Buy these and Biscuit's super-bargain Sony standmounts (see Dealer Classifieds.) £200 left for stands and cables. Job done.
biggrin.png
Seriously that would be asuperb combo. Cheap cd player then save for a better spinnerin the future.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
purplepleaser wrote:

And a Tesco dvd player:fight:
Oops! Forgot about a source.......
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

Still, knock him down a bit on his BIN price and you should be able to get a decent s/h budget CD player to be getting on with. Rotel RCD-965, Marantz CD63 MkII KI, something like that.

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Thanks everyone, it seems that I am going to have to seriously rethink my options and I am definitely going to have to hear the Sonneteer.

P

purplepleaser

Good luck in your search. Plenty of good suggestions.

Lee;-)

P

purplepleaser

The tesco dvd player is a bit of a running joke on the forum that all cd/dvd players sound the same.
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

I use the matching Sugden cdplayer. I would guess a cheaper cdplayer would sound okay for a stop gap.

One thing i will say is the Musicmaster is low powered but sounds like valves without the problems involved. Depends on the speaker you get as to how loud/powerful a sound you get. This is the second Musicmaster i have seen on eBay in over three years. says something.

Many other good suggestions though.

HTH

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Thanks Purple, I got the gist with Tesco but thanks. Regarding the volume, I am not bothered about deafening myself but I do like to wind it up a bit from time to time. I presume that with reasonably sensitive speakers its not too much of a problem? It wouldn't be drowned out at a small party for example? Would hate to be left with the same feeling you get leaving a restaurant still hungry

P

purplepleaser

Hi

Its just not the amp i mentioned. My Sugden is powering some standmount Proac Response 1sc's not the easiest speaker to power 86sensitivity . It will go loud enough to piss the neighbours off. depends also how big a room you have. Mines about 12ft by 14 ft.Floor standers would cause more trouble to power though.

i would say low power has its pros and cons. All Sugden amps like to be pushed hard,they sound best that way.

Some say Sugden is softish sounding but thats why they say like a valve amp too.

Sounds like i'm a dealer
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

Lee:yeah:

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
If only cos it would be nice for a wammer to have tried one out.......the new Primare all in one (CDI 10??) with speakers of your flavour

You can get em for a round a grand.

Other suggestions probably better though

E

earl of sodbury

jmike wrote:

WOW! That Sugden is a beast! Anyone heard it with the Tesco DVD?
Wouldn't go the Tesco route, but the Sugden is delightful - IMHO needs quite sensitive speakers to work best (I'd try Focal JM Lab or Triangle floorstanders were it me...) by far the most CDP for the least money is Cambridge's Azur 640 V2 (£250) - it is comfortably the equal of some CDPs approaching 4 times its price - leaves more for amp and speakers.

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jmike, by now you've probably realised there is a lot of good kit and every peep on here has their favourites
smile.png
. not sure where you live but try visiting 2 or 3 dealers (that stock different brands) with an open mind and find out what sort of kit/sound you like and then start narrowing the field. it will take time but it's worth it in the end - and don't be shy when it comes to the non-mainstream stuff. there are some bargains out there like the eastsound cdp.

Jan 11, 2006
Hi & welcome,

some good recs...the soneteer amps with the neat speakers are superb.

I would look out for any of the neat range as i haven't heard a bad pair yet.

also look out for epos- rega -exposure -naim -royd -totem....Would go 2nd hand myself except poss buy new with the cd.

Good luck.

jmike

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 17, 2006
, ,
Thanks again guys, sounds like the Sonneteer and Neathave pleased a lot of people who have no ulterior motive so Ireally want to have a listen to those bits of kit.I am living in Dublin, although I haven't been here for very long, and I can only find one shop that doesn't seem to stock that many brands. I am heading over for an audition when they get the new Cyrus 8Vs2 in. I think I will end up heading to England and having a trip round a few shops, its all a matter of finding the time and keeping my impatience and desire to get a decent system under control.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Sonneteer Neat combination is very good and I would be another who would recommend a demo of these,

Regards

PB

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
If I've this amount of money to start all over again ....... these are the toys I'll get.

Cambridge Audio DVD89 £199 or Oppo971H £160

Cables £5

Samsung LCD TV £899 from Tesco.

25221-bb.jpg

£1000 for a big sofa and some comfy cushions from Ikea. If you already have a sofa then a nice Yamaha YSP thingy.

yamaha-ysp-1.jpg

M

murray johnson

Hi Wolfgang,

Have you listened to that Yamaha speaker?

I've heard it 2 or 3 times now and it is, by a country mile, the worst sounding speaker I have ever heard.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Only in John Lewis. Vocals very clear. Where have you heard them, in shops or your friend's home? Would really liketoplay withone ....... that's why I've been trying to 'convince' anyone esp my brother to get one so we could experiment in a realUK terrace with acompact livingroom.

M

murray johnson

twice at shows, once at someones house. It sounded better (if thats possible) at the shows!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
JamPal wrote:
Sonneteer Bronte CD & digital amp plus...
sbrontesys.jpg

Neat Motive Two:

Motivetwo.jpg

Gets you closer to £2grand and trust me, it's worth it: kick-ass bass, involvementAND real musicality. The Naim kit is a good call, especially if you really like to ROCK! in my opinion.

Cheers, Welcome to the tent. James.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
tongue.png
:nup:Nah, you want the Ones for that added :rockin:factor - the 2s don't cut it (IMHO).

And if you don't believe it, you're welcome to pop round to Sodbury Acres for an earwig :lwink:
Err..

Ok then! You got some Neats in stock then sodders? Summat you aint telling us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online