Penetrating Wagner's Ring

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This ring you all speak of must be flabby, saggy, stretched and so easy to penetrate that one must wonder if they're actually inside at all. Perhaps that's the problem? You have indeed penetrated it but feel that you haven't. Maybe Wagner's ring would have been great years ago but so many people have buggered it that the experience is sadly lacking nowadays. :(

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found that penetrating The Valkyries was easy. Siegfried - well that's another matter.

The Count

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2011
Warrington
AKA
Phil
This ring you all speak of must be flabby, saggy, stretched and so easy to penetrate that one must wonder if they're actually inside at all. Perhaps that's the problem? You have indeed penetrated it but feel that you haven't. Maybe Wagner's ring would have been great years ago but so many people have buggered it that the experience is sadly lacking nowadays. :(
I think part of the problem is that Wagner's ring tends to be brought out at least once a year and is collectively penetrated by the masses at events such as Glyndebourne. There have also been numerous attempts to open it up to the more general public over the years including adorning the ring with all manner of settings and costumes. Of course it is still exactly the same ring however you dress it up and after all these years it is fair to say that it has got a little bit tired but it certainly isn't worn out yet and for many who know it well it is something familiar and comfortable that they like to dip into from time to time.

Sometimes just going a little way into the ring is enough, I find that a cheeky dip in is quite pleasant, although of course plunging into its depths and feeling completely immersed in its deepest reaches brings a satisfaction like nothing else :)

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found that penetrating The Valkyries was easy. Siegfried - well that's another matter.
Well riding the Valkyries is easy 
smile.png

Stargazer

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2015
Devon
AKA
Victor
Wagner was my gateway into classical music.  For someone to write Seigfried's Funeral March was obviously in my mind a genius.  I was very attracted in the early stages to his music (without the singing), then I heard Bryn Terfel singing to The Flying Dutchman (I read the English translation) and it made a lot of sense to me.  Then with my friend we decided to see the whole of Ring Cycle operas performed in English in the Colosseum.  To my surprise I did not fall asleep as often I imagined during the Operas...  He does present a controversial figure with his past views expressed on Jews.  However I read an old biography on him where the question of his alleged racism towards Jews was addressed, despite his proclamations as to Jews, he ended up by hiring a son of a Rabbi to conduct his Opera (I think it was Parsifal), also a letter from the Conductor written to his father (the Rabbi) describing his experience working with Wagner was in quite favourable terms as Wagner the employer; so the idea that he was an out and out racist towards Jews is very questionable.  Most probably his friction with Jews was out of money lender issues, Wagner needed money to live on to do his work and a lot of money lenders were Jews, so there lies a minefield full of issues...!

Reactions: josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.