Phone Stage

dn41

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2013
East Riding
AKA
Andrew
Got no idea what Im doing, but just about to treat myself to a Michell Engineering Gyrodec. Going to take advice from dealer for tone arm and cartridge with an overall budget of around £2200. Whether I go for MM or MC cartridge Ive no idea at this stage. Im initially using my Arcam AVR400 which doesn't have a phono stage, and from what I can gather, a second hand phono stage is probably a good option as Im reluctant to spend £500 on something new, which I'll probably want to upgrade within a few months , knowing my past spending habits on hifi/av gear. I need something flexible which I don't need to change should I upgrade arm/cartridge later. Quite like the idea of a valve system but may be limited by budget. There are a couple of Whest ps.20 in the classifieds which seems to have good reviews???

Help anyone !!!

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Whests are a good choice and should keep you happy for a while. Plus they will sell ok when you do move on.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get thee to a bake off if you can, cracking places to hear some kit. FWIW if you have a thousand to spend on arm/cart combo then a decent arm/MC combo can easily be had, especially if you buy a one of them used. Arms such as an Origin Live Silver, Audionote, SME IV etc and carts such as an Ortofon Rondo Bronze would be as good as any a place to start.

If you are up North you are welcome to borrow a Dino phonostage to have a play with.

tomart

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 28, 2009
Llandudno, , United
AKA
Dave
The Whest PS.30RDT I tried sounded very good in comparison to a couple of expensive valve phono stages I had. Not as rich sounding but detailed and pretty quiet.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
£500 should get you a puresound p10/t10 combo, just.

Ledhed

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 3, 2013
Dartford
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got no idea what Im doing, but just about to treat myself to a Michell Engineering Gyrodec. Going to take advice from dealer for tone arm and cartridge with an overall budget of around £2200. Whether I go for MM or MC cartridge Ive no idea at this stage. Im initially using my Arcam AVR400 which doesn't have a phono stage, and from what I can gather, a second hand phono stage is probably a good option as Im reluctant to spend £500 on something new, which I'll probably want to upgrade within a few months , knowing my past spending habits on hifi/av gear. I need something flexible which I don't need to change should I upgrade arm/cartridge later. Quite like the idea of a valve system but may be limited by budget. There are a couple of Whest ps.20 in the classifieds which seems to have good reviews???Help anyone !! I was in exactly

the same position but didn't know enough. gyro se was my pref choice but went with project rpm 10, fuckin a, good choice. even with just a audio technical at 44o mla, wow, wait till I get the at 150 mlx, should be awesome

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Got no idea what Im doing, but just about to treat myself to a Michell Engineering Gyrodec. Going to take advice from dealer for tone arm and cartridge with an overall budget of around £2200. Whether I go for MM or MC cartridge Ive no idea at this stage. Im initially using my Arcam AVR400 which doesn't have a phono stage, and from what I can gather, a second hand phono stage is probably a good option as Im reluctant to spend £500 on something new, which I'll probably want to upgrade within a few months , knowing my past spending habits on hifi/av gear. I need something flexible which I don't need to change should I upgrade arm/cartridge later. Quite like the idea of a valve system but may be limited by budget. There are a couple of Whest ps.20 in the classifieds which seems to have good reviews???Help anyone !! I was in exactly

the same position but didn't know enough. gyro se was my pref choice but went with project rpm 10, fuckin a, good choice. even with just a audio technical at 44o mla, wow, wait till I get the at 150 mlx, should be awesome
Can you translate that please?

dn41

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2013
East Riding
AKA
Andrew
Thanks for the quick replies.

Kit wise, as I mentioned have an Arcam AVR400 receiver, which for current duties is fine. May upgrade next year to Arcam pre/power combo if I come across a decent second hand deal (Hate buying stuff that's worth quarter of the price 6 months later when you can get used with decent remaining warranty). I have Monitor Audio RS'6's but have been on the lookout for a pair of GS20's to match my centre speaker for the last 6 months, and finally an Oppo 95 which I use for two channel and SACD's as well as films obviously.

As you can probably gather, I'd love to get a second hand arm/cartridge but A, wouldn't know where to start and B wouldnt dare attempt to assemble something as delicate. I'll definitely be going to a bakeoff as well as Scalford, but with the imminent arrival of my turntable I need to make some decisions. Now if someone wants to sort us out.....

In terms of music, Ive been slowly rebuilding my collection over the last month since deciding to go back to vinyl. So far Ive things from The Beatles back catalogue, a couple of Madonna albums, New Order, Arctic Monkeys to Daft Punk, so I would say my music is quite diverse.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have the A28 and am not particularly fond of the sound from its phono stage and I also know certain phono stages work better with certain amps as I discovered at a recent bake off good luck

dn41

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2013
East Riding
AKA
Andrew
Theres no phono stage on the avr400, which is probably a good thing.

It seems I'm probably in the most densely populated county of Wammers in the country-East Yorkshire. Might be an idea to buy a second hand arm and cartridge which I could sell on once I've got a few bakeoffs under my belt, and maybe been to Scalford

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Im reluctant to spend £500 on something new, which I'll probably want to upgrade within a few months , knowing my past spending habits on hifi/av gear.
Have you already signed up to buy the new turntable. If not, dont panic buy.

If you then start going to bakeoffs etc, it will do your head in. what if? etc etc

You sound like many on here (including me) who like to chop and change. If you buy wisely 2nd hand it can be done without losing too much of your hard earned. If you buy new, you will lose big time on the re-sale.

There is a Bake Off next week near you. It may be full, but possibly worth getting in touch with Steve. See "Octoberfest" in bake off section.

David.D

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Nr Cirencester
Quite a few people have purchased the Cambridge 640P and had it transformed by Jez Arkless into a very high quality phono stage.

Costs £150 to have it converted and donors pop up on eBay from time to time. You would not lose any money by getting one.

dn41

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2013
East Riding
AKA
Andrew
Quite a few people have purchased the Cambridge 640P and had it transformed by Jez Arkless into a very high quality phono stage.Costs £150 to have it converted and donors pop up on eBay from time to time. You would not lose any money by getting one.
Sounds like a sensible option

- - - Updated - - -

Have you already signed up to buy the new turntable. If not, dont panic buy.If you then start going to bakeoffs etc, it will do your head in. what if? etc etc

You sound like many on here (including me) who like to chop and change. If you buy wisely 2nd hand it can be done without losing too much of your hard earned. If you buy new, you will lose big time on the re-sale.

There is a Bake Off next week near you. It may be full, but possibly worth getting in touch with Steve. See "Octoberfest" in bake off section.
I haven't actually signed up yet, but have pretty much decided. as I want it for Xmas, time is running out however because of the time from ordering and time to delivery. Only concern with a Bake Off is, whilst giving me an indication of what sounds best, its highly unlikely an AV receiver or Monitor Audio RS6's will be used. When its amp upgrade time (Whether is pre/power, dedicated 2 channel amp or valve amp) will the Bake Off be more relevant.

I guess what Im saying is I'm looking for phono stage, arm and cartridge to get me started until I really get going, and something Im not going to lose too much on when it comes to trading in. There again I don't want to get kit which Im going to disappointed in on Xmas day morning!!!

Think I may post a wanted thread

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
East York's is within an hour of me. Happy to offer any assistance I can, even if it's just to give you some perspective of what other stuff sounds like.

I just sold a Giro with RB700 in favour of the 401 I've kept. That was bought here and re-sold for £750 so your 2K budget could go an awful lot further if you're happy to entertain well loved kit. Mine was mint btw.

There are a few members in your neck of the woods, and there are regular meetings for tune playing and gear testing.

dn41

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2013
East Riding
AKA
Andrew
East York's is within an hour of me. Happy to offer any assistance I can, even if it's just to give you some perspective of what other stuff sounds like.I just sold a Giro with RB700 in favour of the 401 I've kept. That was bought here and re-sold for £750 so your 2K budget could go an awful lot further if you're happy to entertain well loved kit. Mine was mint btw.

There are a few members in your neck of the woods, and there are regular meetings for tune playing and gear testing.
Going to be working around Mansfield / North Nottingham this week!!??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.