Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Primaluna Prologue 5 as a possible purchase - any views at all please, it'd a blind buy. The pre would be the trusty Croft 25R and speakers Falcon Q7 or Harbeth P3ESR.

In a nutshell, I know little of these but am curious, they look great and I'm interested in trying a more powerful valve power amp with my speakers, and in particular the Falcons. The price would be right (if the chap decides to sell it !) and I know it's past (it's virtually unused) so an attractive buy and not a lot to loose. Cheers.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a great amp, I kept mine for over a year despite being a bit of a box swapping fiend.
I liked it so much I then upgraded to Prologue 7 monoblocks.
Tbh not much gained, in fact, the 5's tonality was a bit brighter and livelier which worked well for me.

And it's great that it's plug and play with a large range of valve types... Kt88, KT120, EL34, 6L6, 5881,6550.... and more.

If the price is right, go for it! (y)

Reactions: deggie and Ian

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haha, yes, true.

But it needn't be so bad.
You can actually mix valve types. So have, say, two 6550 and two 6L6.
I read somewhere that it was OK to do this, and I tried it myself with no problems.
I particularly enjoyed mixing KT120 with 6L6. Quite different sounding valves, but a good synergy.
..... At your own risk, of course!

Reactions: Ian

The Bish

The Bish
Wammer
Jul 3, 2020
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Nathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ian,

I tried the prologue integrated with P3s. Very quiet and responsive to valve changes and great on vocals, but I found it to be a touch bright and ‘clangy’ on things like acoustic guitar so ultimately wasn’t a keeper. Might have been the pre section that made it a bit bright but thought I would mention it. The 5 power has high input impedance so will be a good match for the 25r in that respect, it also has a quite high input sensitivity so you won’t get much travel on the Croft volume pots.

Reactions: Ian

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Rockchild didnt you have a Primaluna recently?
I had The Prologue Premium Pre amp and loved it.
I think the smaller Prologue 5 poweramp is good from past memory but DONT use silver coated cables. It’s a dynamic amp with transistor like qualities. My preference was EL34 valves.

Reactions: Ian and DomT

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
> It’s a dynamic amp with transistor like qualities.

I agree, it boogies and it sure isn't dull.
Although a lot does depend on what valves it's kitted out with.

I look forward to your thoughts on it.
I'll have a look in my valve drawer if you like, I'd be happy to loan you some if I have any of interest!

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
> It’s a dynamic amp with transistor like qualities.

I agree, it boogies and it sure isn't dull.
Although a lot does depend on what valves it's kitted out with.

I look forward to your thoughts on it.
I'll have a look in my valve drawer if you like, I'd be happy to loan you some if I have any of interest!
That's really kind, thank you. I've just had a chat with the chap who's selling, and I'm having a set of Genelex GL KT66 from him too. It also comes with the PL .KT88. I also have some Mullard ECC 83, so all a decent start !

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The PL KT88 are very good.
I was a bit disappointed when my Prologue 7 monos arrived with them, I had been kind of hoping they would come with something "fancy". But researching them, they are carefully selected and turned out to be very hard to beat! A nicely transparent and quite feisty sound. You should be good to go with them imo.

Reactions: antonio66 and Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to conclude on this, I've been listening a lot to this, and it genuinely feels like the missing link between the Croft and Falcons in achieving, for me, perfection.

So, first of a let me acknowledge my unfounded, un-evidenced and wholly ill informed prejudice against Chinese made equipment. Okay that's that done !

Secondly, this is great with the stock PL valves (KT88), but with Genalex Gold Lion KT66 and a couple of Mullard ECC83 in, it heads heaven bound.

Just looking to source a couple of NOS 12AU7 to polish things off.

I think these would be considered mid-price in the context of what we pay, but sometimes things just outperform the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.