Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right, well I'm definitely coming over for that little speaker session now then!!

Great stuff.
And you are most welcome of course 🙂. Actually, as would any folk here, I always wanted to listen to a pair of these but nobody had any close to me.

Reactions: karlsushi

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Croft 25R, Quad CDP2, Project Classic, Primaluna Prologue 5 and Harbeth P3ESR (ok, and Falcon Q7).
That is me done, perfection. Had vintage Quads, Leaks, Radfords but this PL is a gem. I'd never say anything is 'better', but this hits my final spot 😊.
The newer gear is a bit pricier, but this thing is a nuts good price.
Have you seen all the lovely kit in the classified's Ian :)

Reactions: Ian

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The concept of "being done" & reaching your end game system is an interesting one, & is certainly the idea I had when I started in this hobby. But as I kept on improving towards that goal I realised that actually, the whole process is rather fun & I didn't want to just stop & enjoy the fruits of my labour. So now, when I think I have got somewhere near my goal I begin to think of a way to arrive at the same point but with a different philosophy. I have a bee in my bonnet now about getting a different delivery of the sound; I have always loved electrostatics, & had a lovely pair of ESL57's when I lived in a larger house, but there is no way I can accommodate such speakers in my living room as it is just too small. We have an open plan lounge/kitchen diner which is 26ft x just 10ft wide, so I sit just 7 1/2 ft away from the speakers at one end & this has to stay the same, & on top of that the floor is suspended wood, again not ideal. I am currently using Sonus Faber Toy Towers, small floorstanders that currently stand unchallenged as by far the best sound I have managed so far in here, but I long for the type of delivery of larger drivers with sound just coming out of thin air instead of being fired at you by narrow baffle drivers. To that end I recently tried som DIY Pencil 12 with Mark Audio drivers & loved the sound, but the cabinets were far, far too big for the room, so the quest continues. Some say "why mess around when you have a terrific system", but I guess I say why not?

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The concept of "being done" & reaching your end game system is an interesting one, & is certainly the idea I had when I started in this hobby. But as I kept on improving towards that goal I realised that actually, the whole process is rather fun & I didn't want to just stop & enjoy the fruits of my labour. So now, when I think I have got somewhere near my goal I begin to think of a way to arrive at the same point but with a different philosophy. I have a bee in my bonnet now about getting a different delivery of the sound; I have always loved electrostatics, & had a lovely pair of ESL57's when I lived in a larger house, but there is no way I can accommodate such speakers in my living room as it is just too small. We have an open plan lounge/kitchen diner which is 26ft x just 10ft wide, so I sit just 7 1/2 ft away from the speakers at one end & this has to stay the same, & on top of that the floor is suspended wood, again not ideal. I am currently using Sonus Faber Toy Towers, small floorstanders that currently stand unchallenged as by far the best sound I have managed so far in here, but I long for the type of delivery of larger drivers with sound just coming out of thin air instead of being fired at you by narrow baffle drivers. To that end I recently tried som DIY Pencil 12 with Mark Audio drivers & loved the sound, but the cabinets were far, far too big for the room, so the quest continues. Some say "why mess around when you have a terrific system", but I guess I say why not?
Like you I have no option but to sit 7ft away these days. That hankering for a larger spkr sound also lead me to trying all sorts of spkrs. It would take 30 mins before I knew they wouldn't work (again) :)
A kind man brought me some Zingali to try. They were the only spkrs that have managed to create that magic you speak of, in my space. Realise after many futile attempts for this.. that I really should stick them. I also use a pair of small standmounts when the mood takes me, but when I slot the Zingali back in they invariably blow me away.
They are a bit thin on the ground but well worth delving into ? Good luck with your search. M.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So many turntables to try.

You could add a sub?