Remove Speaker Cable outer jacket

LeeScan

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2011
Cheshire
AKA
Lee
Hi, have some runs of the Van Damme Blue series speaker cable the 6mm thick stuff. I need to run it past a door way from amp to speaker but its hose like thickness is stopping me doing this. I'm thinking of removing the outer blue jacket and installing under the carpet like install cable.

I just wonder if anyone had any thoughts on this and whether its a clever or bad idea?

Cheers

Lee

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I'd have thought it might defeat the object of having bought the cable in the first place.

Although assuming there is indeed a layer underneath should be fine from a safety point of view.

LeeScan

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2011
Cheshire
AKA
Lee
I wanted the thick (6mm) copper connection between the amp and speakers as its fairly long rungs (10m), but not necessarily the 14mm thick cable that is the end result. The two cables inside the main outer jacket are separately sheathed, is simple thin red and blue jacket. its them in that state that i'm think of installing under carpet tacked next to carpet grippers.

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would use duck tape or similar instead of tacs

- - - Updated - - -

if you have a wood floor why not go under it ?

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do you need 6mm?

2.5mm should be more than adequate, what loads are you expecting?

V

Voice_Coil

use this... ?

lssb2.jpg

it'll stretch and shrink to size.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sell it and buy something less macho. 6 mm2 cable is for welding, not music.

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I think the outside diameter of mine is less than 6mm.

Mind you, that Linn K20 stuff is hefty and I enjoyed that years back.

Sorry I've wandered off topic a touch.

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an issue with some Chord(can't remember the name) speaker cable a few years ago,when i needed a long run from amp to speakers.I routed it round the lounge,cutting a trench in the underlay beneath the carpet,but making sure it was at the edge of the room,so it wouldn't be felt underfoot.Duct tape secured it nicely,and Swmbo never noticed...

Alternatively,there are plenty of flat cables on the market which would do the job just as well.

LeeScan

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2011
Cheshire
AKA
Lee
My thinking was that, the distance between the amp and speakers was less than ideal to accommodate aesthetics, 10 meter runs and with that in mind i thought it might be prudent to throw a bit of girth at it, being that the van damme cables are so reasonably priced. I have the cable now so may as well use it.

Why do you need 6mm?2.5mm should be more than adequate, what loads are you expecting?

LeeScan

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2011
Cheshire
AKA
Lee
Thanks for the replys, i have currently got some Nordost 2 Flat running under that carpet, but i've since gotten a bigger amp and bigger speakers and the waifer thin size of the cable just doesn't sit well with me - very scientific i know

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can get down to a thickness comparable to the underlay then it should be good - cut back the underlay near to the gripper.

I've got a load of cable installed around the edge of our lounge and I used some flat stuff I got from SuperFi. Don't use it though as the hi-fi got banished to the other room! :oops:

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replys, i have currently got some Nordost 2 Flat running under that carpet, but i've since gotten a bigger amp and bigger speakers and the waifer thin size of the cable just doesn't sit well with me - very scientific i know
No it isn't at all scientific, the size of the amp is basically irrelevant as is the size of the speakers. Many large floor standers are much more efficient than small bookshelf speakers and easier to drive.

The Nordost stuff is probably fine, have you noticed a problem using it?

I wouldn't strip the insulation from the cable you have, either re-route it or get the cable suited to the job.

The last think I would do is strip off mechanical protection to the cable in an area where it is likely to be mechanically damaged

LeeScan

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2011
Cheshire
AKA
Lee
Thanks for taking the time to replay. I'm not having and problems with the Nordost stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm getting all i can from the system.

The lengths are longer that usual, copper is a good conductor, this cable has more copper, thats my logic and i'm told thicker cable can help over longer runs. I don't want to be using a cable that might be letting the side down so to speak. The Chord Odyssey install cable is the same as the regular version but with the outer sheath removed, for installing in walls etc. wont this be the same for my van damm? unlike the chord this cable is not in 'snake oil' category that many mention as its quite reasonable priced. other wise i wouldnt even be considering this option.

No it isn't at all scientific, the size of the amp is basically irrelevant as is the size of the speakers. Many large floor standers are much more efficient than small bookshelf speakers and easier to drive.The Nordost stuff is probably fine, have you noticed a problem using it?

I wouldn't strip the insulation from the cable you have, either re-route it or get the cable suited to the job.

The last think I would do is strip off mechanical protection to the cable in an area where it is likely to be mechanically damaged

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I'm going to regret this I know :run:

I would expect better results from the Nordost at any length.

But aside from potential foot traffic damage I really can't see any harm in removing that outer layer.

Do be extra careful not to nick the inner cores though.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm with post 15. Been researching cable since i was 12. Pm me if your interested in my findings. or not!

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for taking the time to replay. I'm not having and problems with the Nordost stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm getting all i can from the system. The lengths are longer that usual, copper is a good conductor, this cable has more copper, thats my logic and i'm told thicker cable can help over longer runs. I don't want to be using a cable that might be letting the side down so to speak. The Chord Odyssey install cable is the same as the regular version but with the outer sheath removed, for installing in walls etc. wont this be the same for my van damm? unlike the chord this cable is not in 'snake oil' category that many mention as its quite reasonable priced. other wise i wouldnt even be considering this option.
The important point I think is the last paragraph of my post, I wouldn't remove mechanical protection on the cable in the eaxact place where it is liable to receive mechanical damage, as you say the Chord install is designed to go in walls or under floors, not in doorways where there is footfall and you will get mechanical damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.