Well this should be interesting.. Naim and LV's?!

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
Having been digging around for a bit to find a power amp to use with robs AN M zero I'm picking up from Rob (hoops) tomorrow, I popped into see the boys at Oranges and Lemons in Clapham today and they offered me a home demo on their NAP 100..

Having never heard any Naim really I only know them from the mixed reputation they have. So, going to leave my prejudices and see how this little 50w gets on and if the AN / Naim combo can improve on the (pretty good!) Sound from the Unico.

Dont worry Rob, I think I'll still have the A500 for reference as well (plus I think itll be ace in the second system)

Will update the people of the wam with the progress!

Anyone tried Naim and LV before?!!

James

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting demo. I think there's a couple of guys over on the Naim forum that have matched LV and Naim but couldn't say how successful or otherwise. Haven't heard the NAP 100 but very good I understand. Look forward to hearing more.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hawk used to have LVs with high-end naim. Worked very well.

Hap Hazzard

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a 72 pre and a 140 power on the end of my avatars years ago. I found them great for getting a quick buzz when playing high energy uptempo music for a short period of time, but some music just grated my ears on them. I think a bit of a mixed bag really. They can put a lot of energy up the LV'S,which i think they need, but sometimes too much.

I only kept that combo for about 3 mths on the avatars before i found them quite tiring over long listening sessions and switched my Canary back into service again

My opinion. - In the long run they weren't for me, but can be fun/give you an adrenalin rush with certain music. :D

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I heard some Naim amps here for the very first time, just last weekend, 135 monos, they didn't remove the wallpaper, and sounded

fine.

Keith.

JRH101

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2013
essex
AKA
John
I have a dac v1/Nap100 in my office system, it is a good little power amp. I have used it to drive kef 104/2, ls50s,Acoustic Energy AE1 (original ones). I had the Nap200 for a while but didn't really get on with it, preferred the nap100 for some unknown reason.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having been digging around for a bit to find a power amp to use with robs AN M zero I'm picking up from Rob (hoops) tomorrow, I popped into see the boys at Oranges and Lemons in Clapham today and they offered me a home demo on their NAP 100.. Having never heard any Naim really I only know them from the mixed reputation they have. So, going to leave my prejudices and see how this little 50w gets on and if the AN / Naim combo can improve on the (pretty good!) Sound from the Unico.

Dont worry Rob, I think I'll still have the A500 for reference as well (plus I think itll be ace in the second system)

Will update the people of the wam with the progress!

James
50W is more than enough for the LVs, let us know how you get on.

I have heard of this combo before but never heard it.

Maybe you need to get some immunosupressant cables so they don't reject each other :)

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Being an recovering (quickly) naimee, I think their amplification is pretty decent. The items that probably got the paint stripping rep are players like the CDX, CD3.5, CDX2 etc..... however, some players, like CD5, CD5X are really quite smooth. To be honest, if a recording was well produced in the first place, it could sound immense on Naim but, the trouble is, most recording now sound thin and have excess treble, which is exacerbated in a Naim system. On all of my Naim systems and the real harshness came when NACA5 was added, plus a pairing with "fast" speakers (kudos, neat, pmc). I could only live with it, if I tamed it all with Harbeth.

Anyway, my ears are much happier now. :shaggers:

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
I did have to stifle a chuckle as the guy in the shop asked me with a panicked look what cable I was using, 'it might blow up if they are those litz ones' ... go salesman.

Will report back!

mole0937

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2008
Crawley , sussex
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I used to own Chord monoblocks / pre,fancied a change in speakers and after hearing all the the hype about LV's I bought a pair secondhand ,to say it was the worst sound I had had in many years is a understatement,all the equiptment was high end but together ,"awful",just shows how important matching is,surely those LV's are designed to go with Valve amplication ?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Really ???? I heard that combo a few times.Could put you off one or both forever.
To be fair it was a long time ago and my own gear at the time was awful! :D

josst

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2008
London, , United Kin
AKA
Joss
Naim and LV can work very well! I had a pair of LV OBX-R2's on the end of a 552/500 (very reasonable second-hand offer), very sweet, grippy, well resolved and natural. The LV's have moved on (I am waiting for the next turbo-charged iteration of the RW's...) and still have the Naim, part or both intended for a second system. I have heard Naim sound awful, but get the system right and more than most they really do get out of the way and let you enjoy the musical performance.

Still a member of the Kondo Mafia though, never giving that up :)

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Being an recovering (quickly) naimee, I think their amplification is pretty decent. The items that probably got the paint stripping rep are players like the CDX, CD3.5, CDX2 etc..... however, some players, like CD5, CD5X are really quite smooth. To be honest, if a recording was well produced in the first place, it could sound immense on Naim but, the trouble is, most recording now sound thin and have excess treble, which is exacerbated in a Naim system. On all of my Naim systems and the real harshness came when NACA5 was added, plus a pairing with "fast" speakers (kudos, neat, pmc). I could only live with it, if I tamed it all with Harbeth. Anyway, my ears are much happier now. :shaggers:
Some truth here. With Naca 5 I felt the treble a little sharp hence Odyssey having existed in my system for many years now. But not my experience with Neats. In fact If I was out for new speakers tomorrow a pair of Ultimatums would be almost top of my list.

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
All plugged in... letting it all warm up.

1st impressions are not bad!

esyhy4a6.jpg

M

Mike P

I'd be interested in knowing more about the new turbo-charged version of the RW's. I might have to ring Kevin!

Naim and LV can work very well! I had a pair of LV OBX-R2's on the end of a 552/500 (very reasonable second-hand offer), very sweet, grippy, well resolved and natural. The LV's have moved on (I am waiting for the next turbo-charged iteration of the RW's...) and still have the Naim, part or both intended for a second system. I have heard Naim sound awful, but get the system right and more than most they really do get out of the way and let you enjoy the musical performance.Still a member of the Kondo Mafia though, never giving that up :)

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
All plugged in... letting it all warm up.1st impressions are not bad!

esyhy4a6.jpg
Good taste in music! I'm going through a big EBTG phase at the moment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online