Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi all, looking for a similar wax to the tannoy prestige stuff but not at £35 a tub. Would like something with the same musicality as the tannoy wax but happy to host a bake off trying different ones out to see which I prefer. Does anyone know what it is?

I'm serious, mostly

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all, looking for a similar wax to the tannoy prestige stuff but not at £35 a tub. Would like something with the same musicality as the tannoy wax but happy to host a bake off trying different ones out to see which I prefer. Does anyone know what it is?

I'm serious, mostly
Correct application of wax is seriously important for audio quality more so than the type of wax used. Wax on - wax off.

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the wax is for real wood then 100% pure beeswax is the best thing about a tenner on Amazon . Use it very sparingly apply all over the world surface leave for about five minutes and then using a clean microfiber cloth polish the surface .

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If the wax is for real wood then 100% pure beeswax is the best thing about a tenner on Amazon . Use it very sparingly apply all over the world surface leave for about five minutes and then using a clean microfiber cloth polish the surface .
How does it sound? Do siltech make any?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No idea how it sounds I use it on furniture and it smells nice . Makes my hands soft and smooth when I use it . Seems to protect the the wood well and is not too shiny . I may well polish and clean my KEF 103 stacked pair before I bring them to The Wam Show .

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Pretty sure the tannoy stuff is linseed oil based. Certainly has a whiff

Maybe the beeswax will provide better separation and fluidity however

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here you go. I use this myself. It works but only on spkrs of exceptional quality ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143583052695?hash=item216e378397:g:048AAOSwHSxeKB8u
Warm it slightly before applying to soften it up a bit. Leave on for a while. Buff up. Yearly is good but I have heard Tannoys like attention & may need a more frequent make over ?
Good luck.
* Can affect freq response if not applied while singing Ken Dodds "Happiness".

Reactions: DomT and kernow

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking to improve the dynamics of my speakers they are a bit laid back. Does anyone know if Linseed or beeswax is my best option (or maybe something else like Pledge?)

Reactions: kernow

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking to improve the dynamics of my speakers they are a bit laid back. Does anyone know if Linseed or beeswax is my best option (or maybe something else like Pledge?)

Although a piss take do not get Pledge or any silicon spray near hifi.

Technically "polish" is a fine abrasive for smoothing a surface like car paint wax adds protection and may add to shine. As my son reminded me recently, his V8 car takes up to 7 hours for him to detail, no paint swirls, in the UK we call a mixture of wax and polish "polish" a carry over from cellulose paint days and the add men from the companies selling the stuff.

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Strider and bigrod

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've waxed tannoys several times so know how to do it. Just looking for a cheaper, better sounding wax tbh

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What you use to finish natural woods depends on what wood it is ..
Wax is ok put does not penetrate like an oil..And does not harden totally
For a long lasting finish use teak oil for teak ..and a Danish oil for everything else if the wood is dark like walnut etc ..
For really light woods like a light oak use a linseed oil as the oil is much lighter ..
Remember when using linseed oil with rags make sure you soak them in water after use as they can spontaneously combust in a confined space like a dustbin or plastic bag ..
If anyone ever wants any I manufacture all sorts of wood oils under the Bestwood Brand Available on Amazon and eBay .
And also direct

Attachments

• A8423A40-25C4-4132-B4A4-4EA91732EF08.jpeg
    A8423A40-25C4-4132-B4A4-4EA91732EF08.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm serious, mostly
If you’re set on using a wax
From memory when I was a young un working for a Company called Sonneborn and Reick we used to supply wax’s to many speaker manufacturers in the Uk
This was called BriWax .. comes in assorted colours for whatever wood you got ..It does dry harder than beeswax ..

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What you use to finish natural woods depends on what wood it is ..
Wax is ok put does not penetrate like an oil..And does not harden totally
For a long lasting finish use teak oil for teak ..and a Danish oil for everything else if the wood is dark like walnut etc ..
For really light woods like a light oak use a linseed oil as the oil is much lighter ..
Remember when using linseed oil with rags make sure you soak them in water after use as they can spontaneously combust in a confined space like a dustbin or plastic bag ..
If anyone ever wants any I manufacture all sorts of wood oils under the Bestwood Brand Available on Amazon and eBay .
And also direct

If you’re set on using a wax
From memory when I was a young un working for a Company called Sonneborn and Reick we used to supply wax’s to many speaker manufacturers in the Uk
This was called BriWax .. comes in assorted colours for whatever wood you got ..It does dry harder than beeswax ..

Teak oil is Tung oil with natural additives Tung oil is expensive BriWax is good gear for all wood finishes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.