Linn Owners

Urika 2 Phono stage settings for Krystal MC

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These are the following settings on my Urika 2 phono stage via my PC and set up by my local Linn dealer for my Krystal MC. Does any body have better settings for LP12 sound reproduction? 

EQ - RIAA curve

Gain 50dB

Input Resistance - 53 ohm

Input Capacitance - 1.0NF

Reactions: akamatsu

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I selected Krystal in my Linn account and it did the rest for me. There are a number of cartridges with presets, you only have to do it manually if your cartridge is not on the list. Sounds fine to me. I’m not a tweaker so haven’t tried non-standard settings to see if I can improve on the Linn defaults. 

• Upvote

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had my Krystal set at 56 dB of gain, rather than the default of 50 dB. I also had the Kandid set at 56 dB, but changed it back to 50 and increased the volume offset (Konfig, sources) to 5.0. There was little or no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've no experience adjusting Urika II settings with the Krystal, but plenty with the Lyra Kleos SL (whereas the default settings for Linn cartridges are based on extensive listening, the settings for non-Linn carts are determined solely according to manufacturer's specification). So you would expect that for the Krystal, the defaults are optimal. 

Having said that, it's worth experimenting with different settings. I've found with the Kleos that the most important parameter is Input Resistance. The higher the number in Ohms terms, and therefore the lower the loading on the cartridge, the more 'open' the sound. By contrast, a lower Ohms setting increases the load and 'dampens' the presentation. But the difference is subtle even with the Kleos SL, and you may not find a noticeable difference with the Krystal. 

Reactions: Nestor Turton

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have default settings for my Kandid, I played a bit with other settings but I came back to default because they seemed better to me.

Maybe with Linn cartridge is better stay to default settings, probably with other brands worth experimenting with.

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The advice from Linn is to make any adjustment for the Krystal cartridge gain via the Exact 1 volume offset on Konfig

• Thanks

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These are the following settings on my Urika 2 phono stage via my PC and set up by my local Linn dealer for my Krystal MC. Does any body have better settings for LP12 sound reproduction? 

EQ - RIAA curve

Gain 50dB

Input Resistance - 53 ohm

Input Capacitance - 1.0NF
Why don't you give 180 Ohm and 10 nF a try, as recommended by Fredrik Lejonklou.

• Upvote
Reactions: Paulssurround

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Urika 2 should come with a health warning, if you have any badly pressed or badly recorded vinyl the Urika 2 will find them!

Reactions: hiesteem

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Why don't you give 180 Ohm and 10 nF a try, as recommended by Fredrik Lejonklou.
Although Linn used to have 10nF on some of the older MC phono stages, the current units don't go that high.  The max on the Urika 2 is 2nF as it is on the Uphorik.  Capacitance and resistance both work to control cartridge resonances for the best sound and interact with each other so if you use 1.5nF or 2nF instead of 10 you will also have to change the resistance, likely adding more loading (lower number) to compensate.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.