Ekstatik with Urika 1

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys,

I wonder how Ekstatik would get along with Urika 1, any thoughts or experiences?
Urika 2 has many settings (via Konfig app), and a preset to comply properly with Ekstatik - input impedance of 100 Ω parallel with 1nF capacitance.
On the other hand, Urika 1 doesn't have any settings, with input resistance fixed to 75 Ω in parallel with 10 nF... with a higher gain (62.5dB) compared to Urika 2 default setting of 50dB

Regards,
NL.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi guys,

I wonder how Ekstatik would get along with Urika 1, any thoughts or experiences?
Urika 2 has many settings (via Konfig app), and a preset to comply properly with Ekstatik - input impedance of 100 Ω parallel with 1nF capacitance.
On the other hand, Urika 1 doesn't have any settings, with input resistance fixed to 75 Ω in parallel with 10 nF... with a higher gain (62.5dB) compared to Urika 2 default setting of 50dB

Regards,
NL.
Actually it should work just fine. On the Lejonklou Entity 1.2 the Kandid/Akiva (which the Urika 1 was designed for) and the Ekstatik both are most musical at 120 Ohms/10nf. On the SINGularity the Ekstatik is most musical at 82 Ohms/10nf. So you should be just fine. Fredrik found that 10nf was musically preferable to 1 to 2nf.

• Thanks
Reactions: Trunkmonkey and NL.

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ThomasOK , many thanks for your answer. Should I preferably use Balanced or Single ended Linn Silver interconnects between Urika 1 and my Klimax DSM/3 hub? The distance I need to cover from Urika 1 to DSM is cca 4m (13ft). As I already have Silver Balanced interconnects 8m long (which I used to connect Klimax 350A to DSM), I could use them also?

If I use a preamp other than Klimax DSM, I suppose the choice between balanced and single ended interconnects have more to do with the type of the preamp and the distance that should be covered than with Urika 1?

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Linn recommends single ended out of the Urika 1 unless you have a very long run of cable needed. This has been my experience as well. I don't think 13 feet would be long enough that there would be a need to go with Balanced. I have used unbalanced Linn Silver for longer runs than that in various setups with no problems.

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be surprising indeed if the Ekastatik did not work just fine with Urika 1, for which it was presumably specifically designed. Urika 2 offers greater flexibility for adjustment to suit other (non-Linn) cartridges, for example Lyra which sound best at much lower (higher value in Ohms) loading.

Reactions: NL. and akamatsu

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With Urika 1 analogue, simply without any settings, I don't think that's necessarily a big disadvantage for many cartridges. Lyra, Dynavectors, Ortofons Audiotecnica... can be Urika partners, Linn Akiva and Kandid cartridges, Linn has probably imagined kendo and Exstatik with Urika 1 . The Linn Silver unbalanced RCA phono cable works well with Urika. However, in my opinion, Linn Urika 1 becomes superior when used in Semi-Symmetrical RCA mode (+ and - signal having the same physical structure) with the shielding braid connected at one end only to the signal ground. RCA ground and signal transmission play an important role; RCA WBT 0110 Silver NextGen 75 Ohms delivers a generous response, fine and clear, fast and expressive; in conjunction with Mogami 2549 and Qed Reference 40 Urika cables is excellent.
I've tried Linn Silver XLR balanced cables with Urika, and the results are less interesting than Linn Silver RCA unbalanced cables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.