Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK , Did as you suggested , Plusnet swithced off , No inputs used , just main out to my amp , Yes it still has the hiss .

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you tried playing music as rabski mentioned?

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The difference between channels rather rules a number of things out. One really fundamental thought. Is your Albarry an active or passive one?

All valve equipment has a small level of hiss, though normally inaudible or near as damnit inaudible. There is just a vague possibility that the power amps have very high gain to use with a passive pre and the CJ is also high gain.

Have you actually tried the combination with music playing? If so, is it massively loud with a very small amount of volume knob turn?
The pre is an Albarry AP11 , this one , the amp is a Plinius SA 250
https://www.playstereo.com/en/preamplificatori/1967-albarry-music-ap11-pre-amplifier.html#

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes It does play music , Not overly loud
Is hiss very audible when you play music at normal levels?
Were tubes inserted into the sockets during the transport? as mechanical vibration is not something valves agree with.
Wait for new tube and let us know what happens then

Reactions: TheFlash

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: DUVET and Cambs12

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, we've pretty much ruled out mismatching and apart from the hiss, everything appears to be as normal. Once the replacement 6922 has been tried, it will be apparent whether it's a 'lucky' valve issue or a basic fault.

Even if the latter, it's a valve preamp, so nothing is non-repairable or massively complex. CJ stuff is logically laid out and sensibly put together.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, we've pretty much ruled out mismatching and apart from the hiss, everything appears to be as normal. Once the replacement 6922 has been tried, it will be apparent whether it's a 'lucky' valve issue or a basic fault.

Even if the latter, it's a valve preamp, so nothing is non-repairable or massively complex. CJ stuff is logically laid out and sensibly put together.
OK thanks everyone , I " may " have a super hero willing to have a look and see what can be done , Will update soon :)

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Avoid Hififorsale too. There should be no reason why a seller can’t email new photos with their details next to them. If it’s someone who I haven’t dealt with before or don’t know well enough from this forum, it’s a big no!
Hififor sale is no worse than any other . I have had no problems and many cant post pics to forums let alone that site . You just have to take care as normal

Reactions: mac72

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not particularly relevant, as Al has already ordered a 6922 I gather.
You misunderrstood what I was getting at Rabski .. what I was trying to illustrate is my experience with a preamp with the same or similar valves and having no hiss problem from the valve itself. Hence why I called on your expertise to confirm it is unlikely that the 5922 valve was causing hiss (which you kindly did and very expertly too) ... I was not suggesting he tried alternative valves ..

• Upvote
Reactions: mac72

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You misunderrstood what I was getting at Rabski .. what I was trying to illustrate is my experience with a preamp with the same or similar valves and having no hiss problem from the valve itself. Hence why I called on your expertise to confirm it is unlikely that the 5922 valve was causing hiss (which you kindly did and very expertly too) ... I was not suggesting he tried alternative valves ..
I know David, but you (or someone) mentioned alternatives, so it was worth emphasising. It's a bugbear of mine that a lot of sellers treat ECC88 and E88CC as direct alternatives, and they definitely are not.

Anyway, kudos to Alan. Hopefully, it's a straightforward one.

Reactions: uzzy

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I must admit, if it was me and preferably the original box / packing was available, I'd just send it off via courier to Alan Firebottle to have a look at. He knows his stuff and ime doesn't have months long backlogs. Check with him first, of course!
The one and only " Alan FIREBOTTLE " :cool: :)
Amazing.
I was about to post as above suggesting you contact Alan.
Top guy and he knows his way around kit.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
why don't you all just stick to buying from dealers. That way you will sleep at night. And the rest of us can grab all the s/h kit that is out there :p

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.