Status
Not open for further replies.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is a 240 volt model , I am about to order 1 of the valves I don't currently have , yes I have substituted the other 3 valves , still hissing badly
Is hiss present only when phono stage in use ?
Preamplifier uses a single 6922 if hiss is present on all outputs , replace that one .
Even if your ET6 was bought in UK you’d be hit with all repair charges as warranty isn’t transferable as far as I know .
If I were you I’d rather look for an independent repairer, plenty of options around here or on PFM

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
reading this has just kind of reinforced my thoughts on buying any expensive (more than £100) item from a dealer. Yes it may be more expensive, BUT gives one a greater peace of mind. And yes, buying from an individual is based on trust, BUT buyer beware, things do go wrong

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is hiss present only when phono stage in use ?
Preamplifier uses a single 6922 if hiss is present on all outputs , replace that one .
Even if your ET6 was bought in UK you’d be hit with all repair charges as warranty isn’t transferable as far as I know .
If I were you I’d rather look for an independent repairer, plenty of options around here or on PFM
No the hiss is all the time , I have not connected my TT yet . I will order a 6922 valve , I was told the unit has a 3 year guarantee ( no stipulations mentioned )

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The UK importer has indicated an hourly rate of £100 , plus parts and vat , so what will the repair cost ???? and who pays , Looks like me . I valued trust highly up until now .
Would that be Branko at Audiofreaks? Quite a character there; have a word with John at MAX and see if he can help out with a more reasonable cost and perhaps offer some advice on possible causes.

• Upvote
Reactions: hifinutt and DomT

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No the hiss is all the time , I have not connected my TT yet . I will order a 6922 valve , I was told the unit has a 3 year guarantee ( no stipulations mentioned )
Always query statements by sellers on warranty, whether on here, eBay, or whatever. The vast majority of warranties apply to the original purchaser only. The manufacturers that do offer transferable warranties will probably insist on sight of original sales invoice, so make sure that's available. Even then, caution is required. Chord Electronics, for example, offer a transferable warranty but only if the item was originally purchased brand new, not ex-dem etc.

This is a subject that does peeve me; so many ads stating 'x' years of warranty when, in fact, there is none. Verify all claims!

Of course, buyers also need to realise that private sellers are not shops and shop level service (dems, poss returns, etc) is not a reasonable request of sellers. If buyers want the reassurance of a dealer type sale then they should buy from a dealer. As I now tend to only buy expensive kit, I now always buy from reputable dealers so that I have support should any problems arise.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
valves are expensive, so is changing one on the off-chance that it is noisy. If you have kit that can show (or not, as applicable) the presence of noise in an audio circuit (eg a cheap oscilloscope) you should be able to trace back from the o/p to the stage at which the noise is introduced. The culprit could be a resistor, which is a fairly cheap component to replace.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
valves are expensive, so is changing one on the off-chance that it is noisy. If you have kit that can show (or not, as applicable) the presence of noise in an audio circuit (eg a cheap oscilloscope) you should be able to trace back from the o/p to the stage at which the noise is introduced. The culprit could be a resistor, which is a fairly cheap component to replace.
Way beyond my capability :(

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would that be Branko at Audiofreaks? Quite a character there; have a word with John at MAX and see if he can help out with a more reasonable cost and perhaps offer some advice on possible causes.
Who is John at MAX ?

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Way beyond my capability :(
Poking probes around with something like 300VDC is not something I’d advise tbh , there should be just one 6922 valve in the preamplifier so is not that expensive . Try @toprepairman or Jez Arkless on PFM

Last edited:

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have contact details for Hear audio, I'd go to them direct. John at MAX is a great dealer, good bloke, but as the item was not purchased from him, and he uses a third party for repairs, I can't see it being worth his bother getting involved.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have contact details for Hear audio, I'd go to them direct. John at MAX is a great dealer, good bloke, but as the item was not purchased from him, and he uses a third party for repairs, I can't see it being worth his bother getting involved.
Surely he wouldn't get involved but simply give Al the contact details. I had a similar situation via a Music Matters branch.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
6922 TESLA GOLD PIN NOS ordered , I will put this in first before anything else happens , However I have zero confidence this will resolve the problem, Glass half empty on this one .
Estimated delivery: 6/7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles