Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I work in Essex and with too many West Ham fans. Considering how smug they were last season, quite glad they are where they should have been.

Can't say I'm too sorry to see them down there.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I were a hammers fan I'd be a little concerned that when Curbs was at Charlton the 2nd half of the previous two or three seasons was a disaster.

After saying that it appears that he has a few bob to spend.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

After saying that it appears that he has a few bob to spend.
Doesn't guarantee anything though, they have two of the most wanted South American footballers in the world and the pair of them can barely get a game.

To lose their last 3 games, 2 at home where they would have been looking to get 4 points judging by the oppposition and then to get stuffed by one of the new boys must really knock their confidence.

Curbs has hardly made any difference to that side which actually has some good young players but really needs a kick up the arse.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
griffo104 wrote:

Curbs has hardly made any difference to that side which actually has some good young players but really needs a kick up the arse.
Well he may not make a difference,believe me hes not the be all and end all.Its annoying sometimes when non Charlton supporters and Pundits say Curbs was the saviour of Charlton etc.

Yes he done an ok job at our place of course he did,but the football was crap and his man management was wanting or appeared to be.

There must be a money clause re the argies or something like that,strange that Pardew hardly played them as well,especially the midfielder/defender.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Well he may not make a difference,believe me hes not the be all and end all.Its annoying sometimes when non Charlton supporters and Pundits say Curbs was the saviour of Charlton etc.

Yes he done an ok job at our place of course he did,but the football was crap and his man management was wanting or appeared to be.
Funny you say that. In the preview to the Charlton/Villa game on Sky Sports (Gillete special not the pay per view preview), Alan MacInally basically stated exactly what you mentioned above and all the other pundits ripped him part for saying it.

Quite glad we never got Curbs. I know we are having a lean spell at the moment but the youngsters are doing a good job and gaining a lot of experience. I'm not sure they would would have raised their game as much if Curbishley was the boss instead of MON, who seems to give players a lot more belief in themselves.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Done ok last night without Barry,Simon,another two pts that lot did'nt get.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Done ok last night without Barry,Simon,another two pts that lot did'nt get.
Considering the youngsters we had playing, Barry missing (he needs a slap for what he did against you lot as we were in complete control at the time), and the cost of the Chelsea side I thought it was cracking result after our current run of results.

Anything to help stop Chelsea winning the title again is good, but they seem to be all over the place at the moment - something doesn't quite feel right about that place at the moment.

Are you happy with getting Pardew ? Do get anything for a hat trick of managers in one season
tongue.png

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Didn't WH get 4 points from the first couple of games? I can't believe that the arrival of Tevez andMascherano could upset the apple cart so much. There must be something in the contracts to stop them playing though, particularly Mascherano. We're talking about 2 guys who ability-wise are good enough to play in ANY top domestic or national team.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The whole thing was weird. There were some of Europes top teams willing to spend around £20m each on these two during the Summer, both had very good world cups and Mascherano looked world class for Argentina, and they end up going to West Ham for nowt.

then the take over talks, then a huge losing streak. A lot of their players like Reo-coker and Ferdinand who both excelled last year are simply not doing it this year, may be starting to believe their own hype ?

Although chatting to a few West Ham fans the loss of Gabbidon and Ashtonhas been the biggest problem this season, Ashton made a huge difference when when he went there last season.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
Anybody got any idea as towards whether theres another reason grant left WH as assistant(after yrs there) to go to Norwich ,was it the lure of managing a club,or was there too much bull/uncertainty at WH.

eds.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't know for sure but maybe it was the lure of management.

Could have helped with Pardew's downfall as he had been his No.2 for a while. Sometimes when a management team breaks up it's the remaining manager that struggles.

I remember when we had Little/Evans/Gregory at the Villa, Gregory, who was 1st team coach, got lured to Wycombe and the team was never the same after that trio was broken. Little has struggled in management since and yet was successful and Darlington, Leicester and villa while the three of them were together.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
The lure of management was one thing --but i also think that there was so much going on behind the scenes at WH that the choice was made easy for him,now grant is stuck at norwich whom have zero money,& now theres talk of selling our top goalscorer(earnshaw)& maybe another(?).

Norwich are full to capacity at just about every home game + have good away support but cannot muster income to get a half decent team together,it comes around to the same thing i think--that too much of the available pot is given to the top teams,no matter how good of a manager you are you cant polish an understrength squad,it just becomes a season of damage control,& musical chairs with management.

oh well.

regards ---eds.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I think that after the cup defeat to Watford, they are in SERIOUS trouble confidence-wise, and at the moment reckon they're more likely to go down than stay up. One of todays papers suggests they may pay £17 million for Bent in the next couple of days. They're starting to show signs of desperation.

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a Charlton fan I would urge Charlton to take that £17M. Spend £10m keep £7M ( we are a well run club)and prepare for promotion next season. Division 2 (as I call it still) ain't so bad. Games are normally on a Saturday which is what season ticket holders like and we win more often. Know your place is what I say!

Re Curbs, how often do you see a player or manager grow with a club, gain success and then when they move on ( with ego slightly enhanced) they can't replicate that success with their new employer. It happens in life too.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PeteVid wrote:

As a Charlton fan I would urge Charlton to take that £17M. Spend £10m keep £7M ( we are a well run club)and prepare for promotion next season. Division 2 (as I call it still) ain't so bad. Games are normally on a Saturday which is what season ticket holders like and we win more often. Know your place is what I say!Re Curbs, how often do you see a player or manager grow with a club, gain success and then when they move on ( with ego slightly enhanced) they can't replicate that success with their new employer. It happens in life too.
West Ham have offered 18mill today for Bent and Charlton have rightly turned it down.

It would be totalstupidityto let Bent go now,without him we are down,with him we may stay up.

And to sell him to a relegation rival
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.