FA Cup

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I remember when the 3rd round weekend would have a really special feel about it, but now that seems to be at least 10, and maybe even 20 years ago. It’s not just the big 3 or 4 teams who seem to disrespect it putting out weakened teams, but now even the teams at the bottom don’t seem that interested, wanting to concentrate on avoiding relegation, and even for the promotion chasing Championship teams it seems to be an unwanted distraction. I know this was always the case to a degree, but how many teams will take it seriously from the start(?) – there are only 3 or 4 teams in an Everton style situation of being pretty certain of playing in the Premiership next season, but with little chance of a Champions League or UEFA cup place.

There also appear to be less non-league teams in the 3rd round than a few years ago. Maybe the difference between the league and non-league teams is growing in the same way that the gap between the haves and have-nots in the top flight is growing on a yearly basis.

The only thing I can think of to rejuvenate in some way would be for the winners to be allocated an automatic Champions League spot, and not just a qualification round spot, but the second automatic place, after with the league champions. Its not as if the rules ban it, UEFA give us four places (2 plus 2) and the FA can nominate who they like. I know that unfortunately the big four would ensure that it never happens, but what alternatives are there? It’s almost reached as low as the Milk/Littlewoods/CocaCola cup. Maybe getting it back to Wembley may give it a bit of a lift, but long term?…

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it's simply a sign of the times. In fact supporting QPR if it meant guaranteeing a place in the Championship next season I'd give up the cup this weekend. Sacrilege I know but the reality I guess.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
I agree with this ,20 something yrs ago it was the highlight of the season(season closer),the stadium debacle has taken some of the edge off.

Even the corker of a final like last years doesn't seem so significant.

The off putting thing is that when you are exposed to consistant top performing teams,it takes the edge off seeing lesser team matches,they look like they are struggling by comparison.

It seems a bit of a mess with managers getting poleaxed left right & center,it sets a tone of desperation,even in the local paper here(norwich),one of the stories was about how city were going to get a dearly needed £150,000 from tv coverage for a certain match aired live recently.

I dunno

regards eds.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've watched every FA cup final since I was 6, never miss it but in recent years the final has got a bit boring - the recent Man Utd/Arsenal bore draw was a low point. Get a proper underdog vs a big boy final like last year though and the magic of the FA cup really hits home.

I still love the FA cup but I do think some of the magic has gone, this has more to do with the huge money pot of the Chamions league though than anything from the fans of most clubs who still want that day out at Cardiff/Wembley.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The magic has certainly lessened. But perhapssome of the magic was created by TV? Especially on Cup Final day withits manyhours of build up. And remember the teams on Top of the Pops singing their songs? Don't get that these days.

But then you didn't have theChampions League in those days. And the Champions Leagueis brilliant.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
notaclue wrote:

But then you didn't have theChampions League in those days. And the Champions Leagueis brilliant.
Yes you did it was called the European Cup and you HAD to be champions to be in it and only proper teams won it
wink.png

The Champions league is pointless until the knockout stages and was only invented so the big teams got their cut of the money.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
griffo104 wrote:

notaclue wrote:
Yes you did it was called the European Cup and you HAD to be champions to be in it and only proper teams won it
wink.png

The Champions league is pointless until the knockout stages and was only invented so the big teams got their cut of the money.
Yep, in the last 16 of the Champions League there are always the same 10-12 teams, which is becoming a bit tedious.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
To me the FA cup has never been the same since MUFC were allowed to opt out one year and play the world club championshipto help our world cup bid (snigger)

Anyway for cup romance watch Wycombe hammer Chelsea next Tuesday - just ask Fulham and Charlton how it feels.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AdamK wrote:

To me the FA cup has never been the same since MUFC were allowed to opt out one year and play the world club championshipto help our world cup bid (snigger)
Allowed to opt out or forced by the F.A., executives at Man U and FIFA ?

Can't believe Fergie would have wanted to have done this and lose out on the FA Cup. He just doesn't come across as that type of person.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last year's FA Cup Final between West Ham (where are they now?) and Liverpool was fantastic!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Liverpool and Arsenal on Saturday evening. Likely to be a good match between two 'on form' sides.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The magic is still there, and as much as I respect Liverpool for what they have done/won, I was sad to see often-excellent SG stop Hammers winning it in 2006.

It is possible to see past the money. Good luck everyone - even Macclesfield against my wasting-dosh lot whom I would like to win FA Cup (if not League Cup)this season when again they will mess up over-monied Chump League.

Hopefully MUt will not win FA Cup as well as League.

I love Chels (and have seen them do cack & great in FA Cup)despite their money/messing-up, and am sure thatall other supporters love their side and football.

I thought that apart from the Final result last year a lot of Liver live BBC FA Cup games were truly exceptional.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

Last year's FA Cup Final between West Ham (where are they now?) and Liverpool was fantastic!
Liverpool and Arsenal on Saturday evening. Likely to be a good match between two 'on form' sides.
Last final was probably the best football match i've ever seen, I couldn't think of greater at the time:shock:

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
syep2001 wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
Last final was probably the best football match i've ever seen, I couldn't think of greater at the time:shock:
Charlton vs Sunderland play off final is the best game of football i have ever seen.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Ant wrote:

Ahhh the FA cup
Millwall_FACFLineup_L.jpg
So what do we have to do- guess what Lawrence and Wise are holding? Maybe a bit of physical attraction forthe supersuave Swedish gent in the glasses?

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I wish one of them had killed the swede.

Great days and it doesn't look like they will return for some time if ever
sad.png

Harris has rejoined Millwall though hopefully he can score one more goal and take the goal scoring record off of that judas Sh*ringham

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Ant wrote:

I wish one of them had killed the swede.Great days and it doesn't look like they will return for some time if ever
sad.png

Harris has rejoined Millwall though hopefully he can score one more goal and take the goal scoring record off of that judas Sh*ringham
Maybe a Playoff Final sometime. Or it could be theFA Trophy final
tongue.png

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My team (league 1) beat a premiership side on saturday, the magic's still there for me. I hope they draw another in the next round!

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
audioboy wrote:

syep2001 wrote:
Jezzer wrote:
Charlton vs Sunderland play off final is the best game of football i have ever seen.
Would probably agree with that - great game of football and being a neutral I could really sit back and enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online