Your first festival

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Deep Purple reunion mud bath at Knebworth in 1985. They did not come on stage until it was dark on the longest day of the year.

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bristol Ashton Court music festival when I was a teen, but first proper festival was Glastonbury in about 1986.
Amazingly I went on my own via hitch hiking, and even more amazingly managed to bump into some friends, in the days before anyone had mobile devices to communicate :)
My first too! Remember the storm as The Cure finished?

A8-AADD66-9-E32-4761-B40-C-9-DB2-B610-AC40.jpg

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There was a guy serving in the pub said he been to 214 festivals
Hes relatively young 28 i think he Follows German heavy metal and Thrash metal and goes all over to see these bands

Refuses to buy CD's in shops he wants to cut out the middle man and buy music and T shirts directly of the Band to support the music not to wear, Reckons he had over a Thousand CD's

Pigmy Pony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2020
Chorley
AKA
Steve Callaghan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine was V Festival 1996 Warrington - Pulp, Supergrass, Cast, Gary Newman to name a few
Glastonbury '92, '93, '94. I could say I have some great memories of those times, but truth is I can hardly remember a bloody thing. Dance culture had really taken hold, and I embraced it and everything that came with it!

'95 was the year Oasis was the big name, and tickets went double quick. So we sacked it off and went to Phoenix.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's all changed now, mind you. I thought it could be a laugh to play at 'good old days', even though I no longer indulge in anything stronger than a bottle of Pepsi. Bleeding heck, the prices... It's thousands of quid to shack up in a yurt for three days at Latitude. Bugger that. I can easily replicate the festival atmosphere here. I'll get the Bose out and dive in the pond. That's music, water and mud sorted, and I can come back inside afterwards for a shower and a decent bed.

• Haha
Reactions: Gizza and garn63

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First one is always pretty special.
Organised by non other than Jeremy Beadle. When I say "organised" facilities were non existent. Of course the weather was appalling.
But what a stellar lineup.

Friday:
Hawkwind
Dr John,
Wishbone Ash

Saturday:
Incredible String Band
Donovan
Family
Kinks
Captain Beefheart

Sunday:
Brinsley Schwartz
Country Joe
New Riders of Purple Sage
Grateful Dead for 5 -6 hours

1644148239850.jpeg
I was conceived at this festival.

• Haha
Reactions: BarneysDad

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glastonbury '92, '93, '94. I could say I have some great memories of those times, but truth is I can hardly remember a bloody thing. Dance culture had really taken hold, and I embraced it and everything that came with it!

'95 was the year Oasis was the big name, and tickets went double quick. So we sacked it off and went to Phoenix.
Glastonbury 93 for me. Hitched from London with no ticket, got there and there was someone with a dodgy wristband you could unclip and reclip (they were made to snap if you tried). He said have it but make sure you give it to someone else when you're in, so me and my bird at the time got in free too.

High point for me was Spiritualised on the last night I think, I had the crazy idea that the guy next to me with a fire had the last human flame and my job was to make sure it didn't go out. How Spiritualised was that - don't ask me what induced it as I can't remember!!

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Bath Festival of Blues 1969. Travelled from Exeter, one of three in the back seat of a mates MG Magnet. I was sat next to the door which had a broken lock so the door was tied up with string. Every time we went round a corner the door would open slightly and I would have to grab onto the front seat. Mad times. Don't actually recall that much due to something called cider.
1661281257307.png

Reactions: Gizza

Pigmy Pony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2020
Chorley
AKA
Steve Callaghan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glastonbury 93 for me. Hitched from London with no ticket, got there and there was someone with a dodgy wristband you could unclip and reclip (they were made to snap if you tried). He said have it but make sure you give it to someone else when you're in, so me and my bird at the time got in free too.

High point for me was Spiritualised on the last night I think, I had the crazy idea that the guy next to me with a fire had the last human flame and my job was to make sure it didn't go out. How Spiritualised was that - don't ask me what induced it as I can't remember!!
Oh yes Glasto '93, I do remember one or two things. Like being robbed twice. Someone smashed the side window of my Golf and nicked my CD player and all the CDs. That was a very noisy, blowy music-less drive home.

Also on the first night I had all my money (£60) removed from my jeans while I slept. Served me right for falling asleep with my legs sticking out of the tent and my pants round my ankles. My mates (there were 11 of them) each chipped in a fiver so that was ok.

Highlights for me were The Orb (very trippy), and raving all night in the Hare Krishna tent. That was surreal.

• Wow
Reactions: Gizza

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.