Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
Hi all,

So far, I have had a traditional way of listening to music, mainly through CDs and sometimes through my laptop hooked up to my main hi-fi system. But the idea to dematerialize my music library seemed more and more seducing to me. To the extent that I acquired a week ago an Ipod classic 160 GB player to store best part of my music and to hook it up with my system as I explained it earlier into my "help me set up a dac" thread.

So I'm currently on my way ripping all my CDs into my laptop through Itunes, and then put it onto my Ipod. I've bought a Cambrige Audio ID100 docking station and I'm also about to buy a new Dac matching my system to connect both my CDP and the Ipod.

I must admit I'm really happy with my system so far and it's really convenient to listen to music this way, without handling CDs even though I'll still keep my CDs and love them but also want to avoid plug and unplug my laptop to the hi-fi system, hence the Ipod purchase.

Nonetheless, the Hi-Fi world is ever evolving and even though I remain an Analogue guy, I don't want to miss the trend.

Browsing through the web I saw that most brands propose today streamers, preamp & dac gears, musical servers and so on and so forth. So I'm seriously thinking of replacing my 2nd system (TEAC Reference 600 series) with a All-digital solution.

And I saw the forthcoming Naim DAC V1 and NAP 100. I've never been fan of Naim's gears appearance (too boxy to me) so far but must admit these 2 lil' boxes are rather seducing to me. Nonetheless, I don't want to use a laptop as music source as I won't know where to put it into my bedroom in a convenient manner, but would rather use something similar to hard disk drive like an Ipod or something else as a source

So I went onto Naim's own website to get some info and I did see they also propose the Uniti serve. But I absolutely did not understand how this thing will connect with the lil' DAC V1 and NAP 100 and foremost how to use it as a source.

Indeed I haven't and don't want a wifi router or internet network plug into the room and hence don't want something that should be connected to the Internet to function.

So I'd like to know whether the Unitiserve must absolutely be connected to the Internet to function? Or is it simply a kind of hard disk drive which can work completely autonomously as part of a digital music system along with the other components of Naim little series.

From a general perspective, I'd like to have explanations on what is a streamer like the ones proposed by Cambridge audio, what are differences between them and other solutions (I read about Nas server onto the naim site but guess these requires an Internet connection?) and foremost how to use it and what best solution would exist to listen to dematerialized music through a hi-fi system (other than hook up an Ipod, which is already connected to my main system). I saw that many many quality brands proposed a lot of solution but I must confess I'm really lost as I just start into this universe of dematerialized music.

I found the Unitiserve attractive but if using it requires to have an internet connection then what other solution may I have. I think the Unitiserve has 2 versions , one with 2 TB hard disk and the other with an SSD flash disk which one would certainely requires a connection, am I right ?

So would like to have some info please and please help me understanding what each kind of gear is meant for and how they work.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you go for the 2TB version of the Unitiserve, you can use it to rip and store your CDs on the internal hard disc. It then gives a digital output to the DAC V1. It needs no internet connection, and no seperate server.

A device which is just a streamer - like the Linn DS boxes, or a squeezebox - must be connected at least to a local network with your music stored on some kind of computer or NAS device. they can usually connect to the internet as well, but it's not compulsory.

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
Hi kitty,thx for the precision.

A device which is just a streamer - like the Linn DS boxes, or a squeezebox - must be connected at least to a local network with your music stored on some kind of computer or NAS device
That means the streamer must be connected to a computer right ? which way: cable, wi-fi, etc.?

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That means the streamer must be connected to a computer right ? which way: cable, wi-fi, etc.?
Either depending on the equipment.

By the way, what format have you saved all your CDs to?

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
The format is AAC. And for equipment I'd be well tempted by something like the new naim or the equivalent of Leema or another brand but something similar in appearence (small) + a laptop. But my internet connection is unstable, hooked through wi-fi to my neighbours wi-fi with their authorization but that's it; so depending on the orientation of my laptop, the connection may be more or less stable. That's precisely the reason why I wouldn't go for device or another without knowing their respective requirements and their advantages, My music library is not huge (300 CDs) but keeps growing.

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
downgrade your system
It's not a downgrade; I want to replace my current 2nd system which sits into my small bedroom. Being able to have my whole library into a unique box seems to be a huge advantage to me, sorting it by genres, artist, albums etc. is clearly convenient. But that won't prevent me from using my CDs with my main system when I want it.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
AAC is a lossy format, so ripping to AAC will reduce the quality of your music. If you go for the Unitiserve, rip everything to FLAC - it's the best quality, most versatile and most supported format.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is a downgrade, you can hear the difference between AAC and CD.

I can see the advantages of having access to your whole library in a small box, but why don't you use apple lossless if you want to stay with the ipod. If you are going to use a different DAC then save to FLAC.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No. You're all wrong. The poster obviously knows what he's doing and just needs you to confirm it.

"It's not a downgrade".

There. See. So why question?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Bouba

For best SQ without the clutter of media (cd's etc.) in your bedroom a streaming solution (eg SBT) with your music library re-ripped to Flac, would easily beat your i-pod/digital dock solution using files ripped in AAC, into your existing Dac. Keep your existing library, ripped in AAC for use with your i-pod for on the move.....this is what they truly excel at.

BR

C. :)

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
As I said above, I'm here to get advices, and plus, newbie to digital music.

Nonetheless, I don't think I'll notice any difference between AAC and CDs; I have some pretty good ears, but don't think good to that extent I'll notice differences between 0 and 1 from a CD or from a compressed file if letting apart the size issue which seems different to me.

My library is stored onto Itunes; is it possible to re-convert the files in FLAC; how ?

So vacdac do you suggest going for a streaming device ? which one ? as I asked to kitty above; does a streamer must be connected to the Net ?

What I'd like is something that allows me to store the whole library, play it back with a good sound quality but without having to be connected to the Internet

I think I may confusing a domestic network and the fact the device has to be connected to the Internet. So could you please explain what domestic network stands for ?

For best SQ without the clutter of media (cd's etc.) in your bedroom a streaming solution (eg SBT) with your music library re-ripped to Flac, would easily beat your i-pod/digital dock solution using files ripped in AAC, into your existing Dac. Keep your existing library, ripped in AAC for use with your i-pod for on the move.....this is what they truly excel at.
That's exactly what intended to do; but with 2 issues or differences: 1. I want to use the Ipod & digital dock + Dac solution only with the living room system as I may also take the Ipod when going out and reserve the streamer or fixed server solution for the second system. 2. Still have difficulties understanding differences between what is called a "streamer" and how does it function and something like a unitiserve or equivalent ?

I need help.I'm getting confused.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Look, if you don't really know anything about computer audio and networks, don't even start. On top of that, if english is not your 1st language, any attempt to help you here on a UK forum is just going to lead to more confusion... are there no computer audio forums in France? Better still, get a hifi dealer who knows how to do this to show you in person? it will be less painful for all of us.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Lossy compression permanently removes detail: you can't get it back by converting to a different file type.

A home network can be as simple as a computer connected to a streamer by an ethernet cable.

A streamer picks up music from the home network and feeds it to an amplifier, or to a DAC. They can generally do both, an external DAC may give better quaility.

Honestly though - if you can't tell AAC from CD, don't spend a lot of money on hi-fi. You are wasting it.

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
Better still, get a hifi dealer who knows how to do this to show you in person? it will be less painful for all of us.
Thought wammers were more open minded than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, if you don't really know anything about computer audio and networks, don't even start
So just because I don't know anything about computer audio, I shouldn't start getting interested about it ????

If I had followed such a stupid rule, I think I'd have never started in Hi-Fi neither

On top of that, if english is not your 1st language
That's true, not my native language, but If you did manage to read and to understand what I wrote above, then I guess my English may not be so bad at all !!!!

WTF is that kind of sectarianism? I didn't mean to bother anybody here with my question, and a forum is supposed to be a place to exchange experience and information. If I did want to go into a French hi-fi store to some info I would have done it !!!!!!!!

If you did not have nothing else to say except being disrespectful please do not feel forced to take part into this thread. It's not because you won't have the patience to explain something that others won't.

To others, If you had the impress I made you lose your precious time, please forgive me and forgive my ignorance I only thought I'll ask questions before going to a store next week end.

Nonetheless, I'm really disappointed to see some people with such an intolerance; and people who claim to know everything or give that impress.

- - - Updated - - -

Thx to meninblack, vacdac, tel. Your help was really appreciated so thx.

• Upvote
Reactions: awkwardbydesign

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not being sectarian (by which I think you actually mean Xenophobic), nor am I being disrespectful. I am merely pointing out that the partially sighted leading the blind over a language barrier will lead to a train wreck of a thread.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1) Yes it's possible to convert from AAC to Flac, but as AAC is a "Lossy" format your music files will not be as good SQ (Sound Quality) as if you re-rip your files using EAC or DB Poweramp & rip them to Flac....which is "Bit-Perfect" & none lossy. If you are using a PC & not a Mac, DB Poweramp is about the best SW there is for doing this + it's fast & simple to set up/use, which is a real boon.

The streaming device I'd recommend is a SBT (Squeezebox Touch), there are others, such as the ones you mention + the C.A. Audio Stream-Magic, which also looks v. good.

You do need a home network up & running to Stream (your home router etc.), you can have your devices hard wired to the router using ethernet/LAN cables or working over WiFi. Normally you'd stream your ripped files from a "pooter"/laptop, many use a NAS (Network Attached Server) to do this, which is what I do myself. These have the advantage of lower power consumption than p.c.'s & you simply don't need the processing power of a full on P.C. for use as a music server.

You only need external internet access to stream internet radio & to use music streaming services through the device, such as Spotify etc. You can still stream your ripped music files to the streamer even if your I.P. (internet provider) is down for any reason as the server will still be seen on your home network & still able to communicate with other devices on your network, providing your router is still on. :^

As I said above, I'm here to get advices, and plus, newbie to digital music. Nonetheless, I don't think I'll notice any difference between AAC and CDs; I have some pretty good ears, but don't think good to that extent I'll notice differences between 0 and 1 from a CD or from a compressed file if letting apart the size issue which seems different to me.

My library is stored onto Itunes; is it possible to re-convert the files in FLAC; how ?

So vacdac do you suggest going for a streaming device ? which one ? as I asked to kitty above; does a streamer must be connected to the Net ?

What I'd like is something that allows me to store the whole library, play it back with a good sound quality but without having to be connected to the Internet

I think I may confusing a domestic network and the fact the device has to be connected to the Internet. So could you please explain what domestic network stands for ?

That's exactly what intended to do; but with 2 issues or differences: 1. I want to use the Ipod & digital dock + Dac solution only with the living room system as I may also take the Ipod when going out and reserve the streamer or fixed server solution for the second system. 2. Still have difficulties understanding differences between what is called a "streamer" and how does it function and something like a unitiserve or equivalent ?

I need help.I'm getting confused.[/Quote

Humpty was pushed

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Bouba,

Your English seems pretty damn good to me. We have many Wammers who can't speak it as well as you do.......

Don't be insulted by the downgrade comments - you say you have good ears - well at some point you will regret having to listen to compressed formats just because you wanted to save a bit of Disk space. Bear in mind that your current laptop, HD or iPod will be replaced within a few years with probably 10 x the storage capacity.

AAC will sound poorer than FLAC - increasingly so if you get better and better performance from your system in the future. Use FLAC - it is better, and the most future proof! Once stored and backed up, every 1 and 0 can be recovered - not true with AAC.

Any laptop networked to the same HD, or a dedicated streamer like the Squeezebox - will then give massive flexibility and great sound potential.

Bouba

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Grenoble, France
AKA
Bouba
Many many many thx for the advices, I do appreciate. I have a better image of what a domestic network looks like. Thank you very much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.