2020/2021 Football Season

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that was a weekend and a look at the table is different . Everton top of the league and in many ways deserve to be there . After the Leeds game and some pundits saying Liverpool were less than impressive well wonder what they will say now .

Sunday Liverpool again showed what made them such a good team last season . Whatever the challenge and however the opposition set up they just find a way to get through and achieve the win . Could have been so different of course , without VAR then the sending off may never have happened but despite Frank's statement that he might have not been sent off I think in the end the right decision tackling a player with no attempt to play the ball when he is that close to the ball is just not right .

Then the first goal shows how creative and neat the front three are and how they now almost always understand were each other are and what each of them will do . Superb interplay and a cracking headed finish . Second goal is probably the end of the goalkeepers Chelsea career and were he will end up is mystery as after watching his performances and with his confidence shot who would take a chance on him ? Sad it is never nice to see a player crumble like that and he has shown that he has real talent . Mane though does show how caring about making up for your mistakes and just working hard to correct them can be turned in to something special .

I still think Chelsea will show an improvement on last season but sadly by the time they get themselves sorted out and their best team in place and working together they may well be just too far behind against teams that are not going to drop that many points.

Wonder how Manchester City will fare tonight , last season Wolves did the double on them and seem to be just as good if not stronger this season could well be a difficult first game .

Lots to look forward too just wish it could be inside the ground and not through the screen .

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arsenal v West Ham was not a great match, in fact a very poor one. In recent seasons Arsenal would have lost that, or at best a draw, so pleased with the win, if not the performance. They will have to be much better next week against Liverpool, or the result will be embarrassing. Everton have looked good in the opening 2 games, seem to have a better balance in the team than previous years. Looking forward to the Wolves against City  game tonight.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Everton were still quite impressive last night and as has been mentioned they do indeed look a little more balanced as a team and this even after quite a few changes . I really hope they can sustain this they might well not be challenging for the top spot but top 6/4 could be possible. Sadly Jordan again showed the fragile nature of his game (though i do think Keane should be given a good kicking for a terrible back pass that slaughtered his goalkeeper) . I still feel he is a very good keeper and makes some outstanding saves but you know he is always likely to do something daft. Grobellar was much worse in the error stakes but he was a great goalkeeper and a real laugh to watch as a supporter of either side.

Liverpool play the mighty Lincoln tonight and it is another game were if you win well then it  is expected and if you struggle it is signs of being complacent or not as good as last year . Klopp will not be using many of his first choice players so nice to see some of the fringe players and seeing if they are stepping up from last year .

Monday will be another early test to see if we have the stomach for getting another title run started . Arsenal now set up differently for Liverpool and do not make it easy for us to do what we do very well . Thiago may well be an answer to getting the ball moving quickly and causing problems . Not sure if he will be in the first eleven though have to wait and see. This might also be the first game for Jota who i have to admit was a really surprise signing , last one like that was Mo and if turns out the same then the Transfer Committee will have pulled off another miracle.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you been charged for this ticket? Liverpool have not issued any season ticket renewals so not sure what is going on.

lower bullens

NSNO Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Wirral
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you been charged for this ticket? Liverpool have not issued any season ticket renewals so not sure what is going on.
Yes, we’re getting refunds pro-rata at 3 points in the season, so there’s leeway in the system if fans are allowed back.

Reactions: bencat

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks that might have been a better idea for Liverpool as well but at the moment they are just not issuing any prices or details . Nice to see Everton carry on with the good results they have shown in previous games they are looking very balanced and seem to have found a real cutting edge up front which is essential .

Tonight will be a good indicator of how Liverpool are going to either carry on as they did last season or show signs that they are not as hungry as they were . Arsenal under Arteta have found a way to play Liverpool and if they are not at their best beat them . In the last three games for different reasons there has been not too much on the games for Liverpool and they have been slow and lacking in intensity . Tonight is very different not only do we need to win to halt the Arsenal challenge we also need to win to keep pace with the leading teams like Everton and Leicester . As Man City found last season it can really a problem to let your rivals get too much of a point advantage . So as normal the Liverpool roller coaster will be running again tonight , I do not expect this to an easy game and we will be tested in defence by a quick attacking team with strikers that will taker their chances . In attack we will need to be cute on the ball and pass and move quickly in order to get behind a line that will be determined for us not to pass . What could go wrong ?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well please excuse my smug expression but Liverpool were a bit tasty tonight . The pressing and some of the attacking play was pretty darn good . I thought Arsenal showed that they are progressing and for most of the game they stood up to Liverpool and could easily have achieved a different result with better finishing .

Yet again Liverpool just show they know and find a way to get the job done and secure a win . None of the team look like they are jaded or satisfied with last years triumph instead they look even hungrier at times . I hope this is not me going to jinx anything but we really do look like we did last year and now have a number of additional team players who are pushing the starting eleven for a place. Pleased for Jota that he got his goal that will take pressure of him and allow him to ease in to the squad .

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well please excuse my smug expression but Liverpool were a bit tasty tonight . The pressing and some of the attacking play was pretty darn good . I thought Arsenal showed that they are progressing and for most of the game they stood up to Liverpool and could easily have achieved a different result with better finishing .

Yet again Liverpool just show they know and find a way to get the job done and secure a win . None of the team look like they are jaded or satisfied with last years triumph instead they look even hungrier at times . I hope this is not me going to jinx anything but we really do look like we did last year and now have a number of additional team players who are pushing the starting eleven for a place. Pleased for Jota that he got his goal that will take pressure of him and allow him to ease in to the squad .
Unlike Chelsea. Their defence is a shambles. Based on the 3 games so far Lampard won't be in charge unless he tightens up the back line. Over 200 million squid and he brings in a 36 year old defender and Chilwell, who's very good but injured at the moment...

Just hope he isn't turning into another Keegan where he deployed a 'Charge of The Light Brigade' mentality.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Yes they were very good indeed. I was pleased with Arsenal's effort and application, especially as 10 of the team were Emery players, give Arteta some money Arsenal, and then see what he can do with his own players. He has done a remarkable job with the ones at his disposal. 

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liverpool v Arsenal round 2 tonight . I just wonder how many of those playing on Sunday for either side will be playing tonight , not that many is my guess probably 4 in total for both sides . Last time out the second string were pretty impressive against Lincoln but not sure how different this will be . Arteta may well confound my ideas and play a very strong side which could make things very interesting . In a very odd way i am looking forward to this one and to see what both sides do and how they approach the Tie . Lots of people are critical because of the wholesale changes but i like the chance of seeing how the other squad players line up and play . Beers are in the fridge Linda is going out so I can really enjoy a full night of watching the game before then straight in to Liverpool's game .

Reactions: greybeard

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liverpool v Arsenal round 2 tonight . I just wonder how many of those playing on Sunday for either side will be playing tonight , not that many is my guess probably 4 in total for both sides . Last time out the second string were pretty impressive against Lincoln but not sure how different this will be . Arteta may well confound my ideas and play a very strong side which could make things very interesting . In a very odd way i am looking forward to this one and to see what both sides do and how they approach the Tie . Lots of people are critical because of the wholesale changes but i like the chance of seeing how the other squad players line up and play . Beers are in the fridge Linda is going out so I can really enjoy a full night of watching the game before then straight in to Liverpool's game .
Agree with you Andrew, alot of changes to be expected. Let's hope it is as entertaining as last season's encounter, 5-5. 

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let's hope it is as entertaining as last season's encounter, 5-5. 
Well it was as far removed from that game as possible, but a competitive match all the same. Liverpool, as you would expect as reigning champions, and the home side, had the better of it, but Arsenal looked well organised, and dug in to get their third win, in 4 matches against Liverpool, albeit 2 were on penalties after draws in 90 minutes. 

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck in the next round

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could someone please explain what just happened in the last 2 Premier league fixtures???

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liverpool were awful for the match I watched and it seems for whatever reason they could not change what they were doing . Hopefully that was just a bad day at the office and they can get better. However with Alisson out for at least six weeks that may not be the case .

Reactions: greybeard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.