Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m looking to replace my old power strip and don’t want to spend silly money. 
I want to get a block that adds nothing and takes nothing away but is sturdy and built with good quality components. That’s all. 
I purchased my gear for how it sounds and not for how it could be changed etc so I don’t really want a cable debate if at all possible. 
Thought of this, what do you think? Thanks

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/merlin-tarantula-6-way-mains-block-new/

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to get a block that adds nothing and takes nothing away but is sturdy and built with good quality components. That’s all. 
I purchased my gear for how it sounds and not for how it could be changed etc so I don’t really want a cable debate if at all possible. 

Just been through the above sir :) , looks very decent and reasonable. I was just checking if there was any blurb about filtering or conditioning, which luckily it doesn't do. So should work as intended in my opinion :)

Reactions: Rockchild

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Looks pretty sturdy to me it should do the job perfectly👍

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Looks okay. I always thought the Supra blocks were a good choice, but they seem to have increased in price quite a bit recently. Perhaps that's the cost of Boris declaring war on Johnny Foreigner.

I confess for basic use around the house (and second systems over the years) I've always preferred to use just a basic RS block and wire a bit of Supra Lo-Rad into it with an MK plug at the business end. At least as good as anything else at reasonable cost.

• Upvote
Reactions: bigrod

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Looks rather similar... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-THOWALL-Sockets-Mounted-Household-Black/dp/B08NXD85CK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3PWRBKOYMTE1S&keywords=metal+extension+block&qid=1641563004&sprefix=metal+extension+block%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-4

I bought the 12-way version of this for the workshop, then stripped it to remove the switch (which I don't need). I have a spare one that I plan to re-do on a star-wired basis, but the workshop one has seen use in my system and despite the fancy mains cables I use, I couldn't hear any difference, improvement, worsening, etc.

Obviously, take it as read that my wife didn't ask what I'd done to the system.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have a reasonably well made power lead for any block that is recommended that needs one. I probably don’t want to spend more than £150 or so. 
The Sugden amp doesn’t like filtering or anything btw

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have a reasonably well made power lead for any block that is recommended that needs one. I probably don’t want to spend more than £150 or so. 
The Sugden amp doesn’t like filtering or anything btw
I know he's largely persona non-grata in this neck of the woods, but I think the basic RA powerblocks have always been pretty good. Ignore the optional doodads. 6 way option available.

https://www.russandrews.com/powerbar-s-8way/

I'll get me coat...

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some people will say every block will make no difference and others will say that every block will make your HiFi sound different. I have found the later. Given that you have said that your budget is in three digits rather than no more than £20 then it seems that you are also of the opinion that they can make a difference; so it’s lucky dip time as there is no way of knowing what you will prefer. 

Reactions: notevenclose

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some people will say every block will make no difference and others will say that every block will make your HiFi sound different. I have found the later. Given that you have said that your budget is in three digits rather than no more than £20 then it seems that you are also of the opinion that they can make a difference; so it’s lucky dip time as there is no way of knowing what you will prefer. 

Hi Quality well made don’t have to make a difference to the sound Dom. It’s just that over £20 would give me a better build imo. I also said up to £150 not I want to. 👍🏻

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Strider

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks rather similar... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-THOWALL-Sockets-Mounted-Household-Black/dp/B08NXD85CK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3PWRBKOYMTE1S&keywords=metal+extension+block&qid=1641563004&sprefix=metal+extension+block%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-4

I bought the 12-way version of this for the workshop, then stripped it to remove the switch (which I don't need). I have a spare one that I plan to re-do on a star-wired basis, but the workshop one has seen use in my system and despite the fancy mains cables I use, I couldn't hear any difference, improvement, worsening, etc.

Obviously, take it as read that my wife didn't ask what I'd done to the system.
Are you going to star wire and have an earthing terminal too? Sounds good Richard.

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Quality well made don’t have to make a difference to the sound Dom. It’s just that over £20 would give me a better build imo. I also said up to £150 not I want to. 👍🏻
If you're not open to the possibility or don't anticipate any difference, I'm not sure why you'd want to bother spending £150.

If I were you, I'd order the RA block, plug it in for a couple of weeks, then revert to what you had before. If you don't consider you're missing anything, send it back.

If you do have a 'well bugger me sideways' moment of revelation, then I'd still send it back, and immediately order one of their top-of-the-range £1600 jobbies which has had its virtues so recently extolled in these very pages. 

Okay, I might be kidding about that last bit.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Tacima CS947 6 way block. I know you said you didn't want filtering etc but certainly with my kit it's not taken anything away.

https://www.richersounds.com/catalog/product/view/id/86148/s/tacima-cs947-6way-mains-socket/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm4Me74MgXbt-95lFFzUA9IJbfYNpN2btaqg0aNIwkw4B1MxRnTtU0BoCcfgQAvD_BwE

I actually won mine in a competition 😀
Hi Glen

I have actually got one of those already. I did try it but something wasn’t right with my kit when in use. Some kit might be fine with it.

I use it with the TV etc now. 

Reactions: lazycat and glenhb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online