Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say the Olsen Gear is made to very decent levels and the six way on this level looks to be as good as anything you could want .

https://olsondirect.co.uk/product-category/hospital-grade/
Be careful with Olsen as it appears that they do not *really* allow returns and they have a handling fee. What they say is “Please note goods must be returned in an unworn, re-saleable condition in their original, undamaged packaging” and 

“How do I return an item?

Simply contact us to arrange a return. Any returned items will incur a 30% handling charge. Bespoke and made to order items are non-returnable.”

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given that Wammers don’t live in a hospital what seriously will these do that a B&Q block will not do appear from the hospital sticker and being metal?

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given that Wammers don’t live in a hospital what seriously will these do that a B&Q block will not do appear from the hospital sticker and being metal?
They are very well made, have decent non-foo wiring and excellent sturdy sockets.

I have 2 but they each cost me less than £20 from eBay.

Reactions: DomT

mrc

New Wammer
Aug 30, 2020
I have been really pleased with my Titan Audio 6-way mains block. No filtering, compact in size and fully hard wired. Sounds great. In the past I tried the Tacima but in my sytem it destroyed transparency.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did a test today comparing the cheap Masterplug 6 way socket bought in B&Q for about £15 to a direct wall socket. The test was done using a Vermona 14 analogue synth and a Yamaha S70XS digital piano and a pair of Meze Empyreans. Using the Mastersound didn’t change the sound on either instrument. I would expect the Vermona 14 to be more sensitive than HiFi equipment. I also did a quick test with the only all-in-one HiFi that I have the Sony WM-D6C using the original Sony power adapter. Again I could discern any difference to audio quality. 

You wanted something that didn’t add or take anything away and this will do it. But I have the feeling you may prefer something ‘better built’ but the best built one that I ever tested from Heretic Audio dramatically affected the sound as I have previously reported on here.

Specialboy

Wammer
Dec 11, 2021
Nuneaton
AKA
Iain
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a MCRU No79 mains block. Very high quality with a decent power chord and it isn’t too expensive at £150. These things are all relative though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did a test today comparing the cheap Masterplug 6 way socket bought in B&Q for about £15 to a direct wall socket. The test was done using a Vermona 14 analogue synth and a Yamaha S70XS digital piano and a pair of Meze Empyreans. Using the Mastersound didn’t change the sound on either instrument. I would expect the Vermona 14 to be more sensitive than HiFi equipment. I also did a quick test with the only all-in-one HiFi that I have the Sony WM-D6C using the original Sony power adapter. Again I could discern any difference to audio quality. 

You wanted something that didn’t add or take anything away and this will do it. But I have the feeling you may prefer something ‘better built’ but the best built one that I ever tested from Heretic Audio dramatically affected the sound as I have previously reported on here.
Got up early today and thought that I would also test this ‘studio’ block £35 below and again found no difference between listening directly via wall socket or distribution block plugged into the same socket. I realise that the majority prefer to buy from HiFi suppliers but studios are far more sensitive an environment than a lounge with a HiFi system.

https://www.studiospares.com/mains-conditioner-and-rf-interference-filter-6-way_517330.htm

• Upvote
Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wondering how people are testing the before and after affects of mains blocks. Are you guys plugging all of your HiFi directly into individual sockets and then via distribution blocks so that you have a clear a/b comparison.  That’s ok if you have a CDP and integrated amp as it’s likely that you have a double socket but otherwise how do you do it?

By the way I am not saying that there are always no differences. I have found that with expensive HiFi blocks the sound is often altered. My Isotek has more bass output and the Heretic had less bass and more midrange. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online