Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A/V Systems.

I have a 5.1 A/V System which I use for watching TV, films, DVD’S, Laserdiscs, etc., on the “Big screen”, via a projector.

I am currently using a Mcintosh MHT-200 A/V System Controller, solely for this purpose, which in my opinion is a bit of a waste of its potential. I also have a Sony A/V Amplifier STR-DB2000 as a stand-by, which I’ve owned from new, and have been reluctant to part with. (both for sale in classifieds BTW).

As a novice when 5.1 was newly introduced I partnered the Sony A/V Amplifier with a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system consisting of 5 double cubes, and a powered sub-woofer. This has served my very satisfactory for years.

I’ve been thinking of changing to a more modern, and sympathetic Marantz A/V amplifier, to fit in with the rest of my 2-Channel system.

This is where I hit problems. The simple modern solution which I don’t like, seems to be a Soundbar & Sub. Combination.

Initially when I logged on to the Marantz website, I naively thought I could just pick a suitable 5.1 replacement to slot into my system. Not the case, as there are currently 9 different ones to choose from. With various speaker outputs of 5, 7, 9, 11, or 13 different channels. Furthermore a host of various different functions, many of which I’ve not even heard of, let alone heard.

A further search on a Hifi retail website, and I found 26 different A/V Amplifier/Receivers (new and discontinued), of various different combinations and functions, just from Marantz alone. Absolutely mind blowing.

This also got me on to the idea of if I was considering upgrading the Bose speaker system, to something for suitable for my needs. I posted a question on an A/V forum about comparing A/V Amplifiers with a simple switching system, but to my dismay there seems to be nothing simple to do this function.

As for a comparison of different surround sound systems, wether it be Amplifiers and/or speakers, how do you compare one with another, without spending a fortune, and making an expensive mistake.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As for a comparison of different surround sound systems, wether it be Amplifiers and/or speakers, how do you compare one with another, without spending a fortune, and making an expensive mistake.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can. You just have to go by reviews, recommendations and the brand's "house sound".

Make a decision on which speakers you want to live with, then pick the A/V receiver with sufficient number of channels and power output. Buy Japanese, would be my advice for AV receivers, and buy last years model. Marantz are very good if you want to play a bit of music as well.

Bolosun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2013
I have a 2 year old Denon AV amp and musically it leaves a lot to be desired. I now have an Audiolab 6000A that drives my front speakers and I can use it for listening to music on its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.