Active Speakers Reference Thread

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn’t hear much noise from ours - maybe a feint hiss only audible up to a couple of centimetres but nothing from normal listening distance. I think the noise on turn off is not unusual - we got it as well.
Do both make the same noise? Have you tried plugging them into a power socket directly instead of the power bar?
I also hear much less noise from my AE1 actives. I can hear a hiss from a few cm away, but nothing from any normal listening distance (and I tend to hear hiss quite well, and find it annoying).

Reactions: KnightofCydonia

Barbour81

Wammer
Jun 1, 2020
Upminster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
any PMC result 6 here? considering flr a secondary system.

I use them in my office system (which to be fair is my main system nowadays since working mainly from home). had them since summer 2020 and I'm very happy with them, but then again bought them when they were £2k, I see they're more expensive now. Very simple as no DSP, run XLR straight in from my Bryston pre-amp.

KnightofCydonia

New Wammer
Sep 16, 2021
So just waiting on a replacement pair of AE1. I’m just debating if I am gonna cut my losses and go with some KEF ls50. I know I’m downgrading probably in every way, but I started just thinking do I wanna be tied to having to walk over and turn on the speakers all the time. I feel like it’s somewhat silly but also having 3 mains cables vs 1 is now bugging me. Maybe I’m just being over critical. I’m guessing the ae1 are probably sonically better then any amp I can get for the ls50 but I did like their imaging when I drove down to listen to some.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
So just waiting on a replacement pair of AE1. I’m just debating if I am gonna cut my losses and go with some KEF ls50. I know I’m downgrading probably in every way, but I started just thinking do I wanna be tied to having to walk over and turn on the speakers all the time. I feel like it’s somewhat silly but also having 3 mains cables vs 1 is now bugging me. Maybe I’m just being over critical. I’m guessing the ae1 are probably sonically better then any amp I can get for the ls50 but I did like their imaging when I drove down to listen to some.
You don’t have to justify yourself, it’s your money and more importantly your ears.

I’ve often thought myself that speaker cables are a ball ache but better than mains cables and RCA or balanced cables running across the floor. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if someone offered me a pair of SCM40A at a bargain price though.

Cheers BB

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick question.

Is anyone aware of an active stand-mounted speaker that can offer the sound quality of the ATC SCM20ASL Pro, at a similar price point, but that does a nice living-room friendly wood finish?

Shame they only do the SCM20A in black.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your sure they're the speaker for you then contact ATC and ask the question. They do different finishes for their other speakers so I'm sure they could sort something on the 20ASL Pro, for a slight premium.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick question.

Is anyone aware of an active stand-mounted speaker that can offer the sound quality of the ATC SCM20ASL Pro, at a similar price point, but that does a nice living-room friendly wood finish?

Shame they only do the SCM20A in black.
I can’t think of a good alternative but you could go to a furniture company and get the speakers refinished. I like the ATc sound and so that’s was I would do.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can’t think of a good alternative but you could go to a furniture company and get the speakers refinished. I like the ATc sound and so that’s was I would do.
I have considered that. I was a bit concerned that playing around with the cabinets could affect the tuning of the speakers though.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have considered that. I was a bit concerned that playing around with the cabinets could affect the tuning of the speakers though.
If they take off the veneer and add another one then it’s going to be negligible I would have thought. If they veneer over the existing veneer then that might make a difference.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If they take off the veneer and add another one then it’s going to be negligible I would have thought. If they veneer over the existing veneer then that might make a difference.
I think I would personally be more concerned about the resale value after major unofficial modifications, than any effect the veneer had on the sound.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason ATC can't just make these in a wood veneer is presumably because they have metal cabinets. Maybe vinyl wrap could be an option? That would be reversible for resale I think.

You could ask ATC what speakers they make that do come in a wood finish would sound/perform closest. Probably the SCM19a though I suppose, which are floorstanding, although compact.

Have you had a home demo of the SCM20ASL Pro to be confident they'll be right for you?

Burchardt A500s are popular and have a walnut option but you'd need to hear some to see what you think (I haven't).

Reactions: karlsushi

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm still researching options to be honest, thus the question. Have only been nothing but impressed by active ATCs when I've heard them in the past.

Was lucky enough to have an extended home demo with some SCM40A's which are incredible speakers, but after trying a few different options now, I am convinced that floor-standers just aren't going to work in my living room setup due to some bass modes.

Other options are some of the BBC type monitors (Harbeth/Stirling) and a couple more tasty looking stand-mounts I'm eyeing-up (QLN, Marten and Kudos).

So the question was really around a nice wooden cabinet stand-mounted active that might compete.

As it stands, the ATCs are pretty much off the list due to aesthetics, which is a shame, but we're talking about a living room, not a studio, and it's not just me they need to please in the family!

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Buchardt A500 in walnut. small and flexible incorporating their master sound tuning. Enabling you to tune them to your room. My understanding is the bass output can be adjusted to suit your room.

Reactions: Chumpchops

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should probably add the Buchardts to my shortlist. Seem to have a strong following.

I'm not convinced they'll be in the same league as the ATCs (?) but I'm always happy to be proved wrong.
I have the A500s and also looked at the scm20 actives. I didn’t ge5 a home auction but a mate has a pair fed by Chord TT that have heard a lot. They are great and have that AtV house sound and delivery which is stunning. However they are more than twice the price of the A500s, have half their power, and most importantly donnt really get beyond 50-60hz for that low end authority, where the Buchardts head far lower in the registers. Neither do they have the adjustments with room correction Timon and master tunings that the Buchardts can so so well to customize sound fir your room.

But they still sound inherently right and never give sense of not having a cast iron grip on the music whatever the levels

ultimately by the time you have added a suitable c
DAC n pre, you are in a £10k+ spend class way above the Buchardts, which as AIO, have everything in the box. I’d just want more bottom end at that price.

But I also do love the ATC sound.

the A500 45 day home buy n try deal is bulletproof. There was no way mine were going back.

however now I would be looking ar the a500 SEs with purity drivers.

i also suggest you look at the Dynaudio active range of speakers that blend that studio monitor sound with domestic livability.

Esee

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 21, 2021
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also suggest you look at the Dynaudio active range of speakers that blend that studio monitor sound with domestic livability.
Was just at my son's today to listen to his Dynaudio Lyd 5 + S8 sub setup and it sounded very good indeed. He's had several different monitors and I've found the slightly darker Dyns to be the easiest to listen to for extended periods of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.