Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha! Uzzy loves his Hafler. A fine power amp from over 30 years ago and not disgraced in the company of many modern amps but not a good match for the LS50 Meta. Far too warm in the bass. I had my Hafler DH-200 with JBLs in the early 90s (with a a Harman Kardon integrated as a pre) and that was a fine combo…

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy, have you heard the combination your suggesting with the Kef’s?
Unfortunately not with the Metas .. but I have heard it with just about everything available up to the mid 80s and of course Art Loudspeakers and others since.

The amps I have recommended add nothing and take nothing away, have awesome control and bags of power (even below 4 ohms) .. Shame you do not live close you could bring the Metas round and stick them in my system to find out.
Someone above says too warm in the bass .. that made me smile a bit as if you check any review on the Hafler the last thing it is is warm in the bass but with its power and control and high damping factor it is very precise in the bass regions and I would suggest his warmth was probably due to the preamp and the speakers. I can assure you with the Gale 401s, Pro9TL transmission lines, KEF 101, LS3 5As, B&W DM2as, Kef 104/2, Art Impressions, lots of others and the old Timewindows I have in the garage, there is definitely no warmth in the bass at all .. natural yes - warm no.

Last edited:

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now now Uzzy. I know the Hafler is your favourite amp because you always recommend it. I’ve heard it in many systems and with many speakers and, while it’s good, it does have a slightly laid back character. Particularly in the treble. That’s why I partnered it with my titanium domed JBLs and my uncle with Yamaha NS1000Ms. Back in the day it was THE amp to have in certain circles - I should know, I had one and I knew two other owners. It was that good. Actually, I might have to buy another one just to see how it goes with my current gear..! If I don’t like it I’m sure I can flog it with little or no loss.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s why I partnered it with my titanium domed JBLs and my uncle with Yamaha NS1000Ms.
I know not what preamp you were using but all I can say is on the NS1000s the Hafler was neither warm nor laid back (we sold a lot of Lux valve amps to those who wanted that kind of presentation with NS1000s).

I have had an itch to change it for some years (familiarity breeds contempt) amd have tried many (I chose it over a second hand pair of EAR 509s). latest comparison was with a Nord Class D amp (the wife asked what was wrong with the hifi when that was plugged in but I persisted for a week before putting the Hafler back in (and then sold the Nord). What can be said is that compared to the Nord it was neither laid back nor warm.

I will add when my Audionics phono stage broke and I got a Townsend Elite Pre and by god it sounded warm and laid back (and lacking), the same with the raved over Mission Preamp that went with the big power amp moulded in the name Mission, the same with a Beard Valve preamp I tried when looking for a replacement (and after trying many I ended up with the Audio Research) .

If you match the 200 with the 110 preamp the top end is to my ears too pronounced but the bottom end is still solid and not warm.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HK PM655vxi. Great integrated and a good pre. The HK amps of that era could never be accused of being soft sounding. Quite the opposite in fact. High instantaneous current and high slew rates were their USPs! Designed by the legendary Matti Otala. Better than any equivalent Sonys and Pioneers imho. My uncle was using a Nakamichi receiver as the pre amp for his NS1000Ms at the time. I’ve also had a pair of (red) NS1000Ms… Fabulous speakers. Hmm… There’s a battered Hafler on eBay at the mo for £250.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HK PM655vxi. Great integrated and a good pre. The HK amps of that era could never be accused of being soft sounding. Quite the opposite in fact. High instantaneous current and high slew rates were their USPs! Designed by the legendary Matti Otala. Better than any equivalent Sonys and Pioneers imho. My uncle was using a Nakamichi receiver as the pre amp for his NS1000Ms at the time. I’ve also had a pair of (red) NS1000Ms… Fabulous speakers. Hmm… There’s a battered Hafler on eBay at the mo for £250.
I chose the Hafler over the Nakamichi power amps (and the Audionics over the Nak Preamps) and the HK Citation pre and power, Yamaha C2 B2 pre power, @Bokke will confirm my system is neither "warm" or "laid back" .. I lived with every power amp in the shop (taking home weekends too) to make my choice. perhaps it is my ears.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
perhaps it is my ears.
It is. We all hear things differently.

@Bokke is a man of fine taste.

Back to the OP: The LS50 Metas need space, good current and an amp with a ‘tight’ bass (otherwise it can sound overblown). Rega Elicit and Simaudio Moon come to mind. Unison Research Unico too.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something not too old and still supported by a dealer network would be ideal and relatively hassle free.

Reactions: Jezzer

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently run some KEF R3 speakers, and have Primare i22 integrated amp. I would thoroughly recommend the pairing. Second hand Primare amps do come up regularly on that there internet auction site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.