Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just had a close friend visit for the weekend and we had a seldom opportunity to indulge in a huge listening session. He is a jazz pianist and as I am a classically trained rock/pop pianist these sessions are always interesting.

So the HiFi discussion was 15 seconds long and as follows: Wow those speakers sound much bigger that they look. And where is the music coming from? (My Innuos) and lastly is that an internet radio?

The rest of the conversation was about key changes, timing changes, musical techniques that we heard and how certain musicians progressed through several albums. It was always about the music but never about the sound quality; literally not a single comment from either of us. And we were not even sitting in front of the speakers for much of the time. And at least a quarter of our listening time was in the kitchen listening to my Roberts radio as the girls had kicked us out of the lounge. At home my friend doesn’t have a HiFi system. In his lounge he has a TV that he listens to music on and a piano.

So why am I writing this post? It’s a reminder that when completely lost in the music that it really doesn’t matter what the HiFi system is. So the next time that you are thinking about an upgrade does it really matter? Will it increase your enjoyment? It’s been a long time since we have got together like this and it was so much fun. So does that mean that I will sell the HiFi? No! But it has completely stopped any thoughts about future upgrades.

Last edited:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds (pun not intended) like a lovely evening! I think we've mentioned similar things before, Dom, how it's possible to get enjoyment from what is essentially a lo-fi source. I don't think any of us will be kicking our systems into the long grass in favour of a kitchen radio, but equally it's true that there's a lot of pleasure to be had from hearing a favourite song whatever bit of equipment is making the noise.

Also, your wallet will no doubt thank you for not being tempted by that next purchase!

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely post that reminds us why many of us get into hifi and why, also, we can still enjoy music when not being reproduced on an audiophile system.

Forty or so years ago, I once knew a jazz pianist called Ed. He was and still remains a hugely talented guy, but from him I picked up an impression of just how much music sustains jazz musicians. It has to really because money is so often in short supply.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So does that mean that I will sell the HiFi? No! But it has completely stopped any thoughts about future upgrades.
But for how long will those thoughts remain stopped? A guy who spent a load of time auditioning and reviewing a variety of loudspeakers and then writing about it all on this very forum is probably going to feel the itch again.

Just saying... :)

• Haha
Reactions: lowendall and DomT

Valley Dweller

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend of mine is a professor of jazz and keen (but amateur) musician. He and his partner (herself a music graduate and very adept at playing her Bernstein grand piano) have bought a modest system (in which the record deck doesn't have a removable cart) in the last 5-6 years but before that just played music through the telly. He was round here a few weeks ago and we listened to a couple of albums on my expensively acquired (for me) set up. Our hi-fi conversation lasted less than 15 seconds and really only long enough for him to say that he did not notice the sound quality one way or the other. I was surprised to hear him say that. At the end I gave him a couple of my old albums that I'd recently replaced (the background noise had become too annyoing) and he was well chuffed.

Sometimes I wonder why I have allowed myself to get into this. Do I really get much more joy from listening to music now compared to 30 years ago on the system I had then? On balance probably not.

On the plus side I can avoid upgrades for years at a time (replaced my 35 year old record deck last year and my CD player just celebrated it's 20th birthday). I'm not into cars, tellies or clothes, and this is a pretty harmless hobby. But still.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a jazz pianist and bassist and for me like many other musicians music is a living thing, not just recordings you sit and listen to. So I listen sometimes for pleasure but also very often to check things out. Like beats to get ideas, tunes with interesting chord changes, genres like garage etc. Plus I record in Garageband so I have a keyboard and mic set up for recording, and then I play back the tracks so I can edit and make changes.

Like the jazz pianist in question I almost never just sit down and listen to a recording, and certainly never play a vinyl record, those are long gone. I have multiple playlists in iTunes and YT to check out different styles of music. Generally when I listen I'm at my computer or working on other things like building amplifiers. So I just let playlists run. So there's a lot of music happening, but a lot of it is functional and has a specific purpose.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The play anything function (Innuos) that pulls from every tune I have, is a v.handy way of finding inspiration. Never long before I find a rabbit hole to dive in. Music first..hifi a close second :)

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But for how long will those thoughts remain stopped? A guy who spent a load of time auditioning and reviewing a variety of loudspeakers and then writing about it all on this very forum is probably going to feel the itch again.

Just saying... :)
that’s a valid point but in my defence my speaker thread was also to help fellow wammers on a similar journey. 🤪

My friends who visited are wealthy, have a very expensive house, but have few actual possessions and the actual possessions, apart from the piano, are very modest. So spending quality time with them also comes with a nudge about what’s important in life. And certainly from a music perspective it was amazing.

Reactions: Sotosound

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
that’s a valid point but in my defence my speaker thread was also to help fellow wammers on a similar journey. 🤪

My friends who visited are wealthy, have a very expensive house, but have few actual possessions and the actual possessions, apart from the piano, are very modest. So spending quality time with them also comes with a nudge about what’s important in life. And certainly from a music perspective it was amazing.
Loads of money but nothing much spent on anything but their house? They sound more like accountants to me. :)

• Haha
Reactions: AndyCC72

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I am at a similar place - as my last few home demo equipment items went back to the dealer (something that never used to happen). Why? Well on paper the various amps and speakers I have tried over the last couple of years may or may not have been "better" (they probably were technically superior) but somehow the actual music always sounds preferable to me through my current set up. My system is certainly good but modest by some standards - but to me at least it lets me enjoy the music in a non analytical way which makes it more enjoyable and relaxing - it just lets the music flow. It's certainly good to take stock of what you have sometimes instead of always looking for the next Hifi hit.

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have just had a close friend visit for the weekend and we had a seldom opportunity to indulge in a huge listening session. He is a jazz pianist and as I am a classically trained rock/pop pianist these sessions are always interesting.

So the HiFi discussion was 15 seconds long and as follows: Wow those speakers sound much bigger that they look. And where is the music coming from? (My Innuos) and lastly is that an internet radio?

The rest of the conversation was about key changes, timing changes, musical techniques that we heard and how certain musicians progressed through several albums. It was always about the music but never about the sound quality; literally not a single comment from either of us. And we were not even sitting in front of the speakers for much of the time. And at least a quarter of our listening time was in the kitchen listening to my Roberts radio as the girls had kicked us out of the lounge. At home my friend doesn’t have a HiFi system. In his lounge he has a TV that he listens to music on and a piano.

So why am I writing this post? It’s a reminder that when completely lost in the music that it really doesn’t matter what the HiFi system is. So the next time that you are thinking about an upgrade does it really matter? Will it increase your enjoyment? It’s been a long time since we have got together like this and it was so much fun. So does that mean that I will sell the HiFi? No! But it has completely stopped any thoughts about future upgrades.
Your conclusion is so true and something my wife keeps repeating to me every time I so call upgrade.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still remember an episode of 'through the keyhole' which featured the home of Cleo Lane and Johnny Dankworth. The house was packed with albums, cassettes and r2r, their system? An Amstrad Tower.
It kinda proves that you don't need pricey kit to enjoy music.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes I wonder why I have allowed myself to get into this. Do I really get much more joy from listening to music now compared to 30 years ago on the system I had then? On balance probably not.

On the plus side I can avoid upgrades for years at a time (replaced my 35 year old record deck last year and my CD player just celebrated it's 20th birthday). I'm not into cars, tellies or clothes, and this is a pretty harmless hobby. But still.
That’s why it’s a hobby and not work ..

Reactions: Chumpchops

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of the best evenings I had with music was a party at a friends house ..
He has an original 1960s Jukebox .. it sounds great …
With a very varied selection of music to suit all tastes .. it’s great when people can choose their own music ..
We’re saving up for one ..
Mind you by the time we’ve saved up enough to get one that Diane like’s we will probably change our minds and book a cruise instead ..

egg1dog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2009
northants
AKA
paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Very interesting thread Dom. I've been obsessed (addicted?) to this hobby for 30 years. Slowly but surely I built up a system over many years (always carefully buying second hand or ex-dem) culminating a few years ago in my purchase of a pair of Wilson Sasha loudspeakers (after inheriting some £££'s) I had had cheaper Wilsons WP7 previously but I couldn't live with myself and ended up selling the Sasha's 6 months later they were far too big for my room but I was obsessed with owning a pair of Wilsons!!
I did have regrets selling them but I didn't lose any money. Anyway I was then made redundant shortly after and the juices started to flow again .....my only thought was to buy another pair of Wilsons!!!..........i then woke up one day and thought what the hell am I doing, my car was a 2002 Golf and I was contemplating spending £12k on some speakers how crazy is that! This is what this hobby does over time you lose all sense of reality and perspective, for many it is not about the music it is just about upgrading your kit and the cables!!
I've since sold most of my expensive kit (Esoteric cd player, Plinius power amp, Focal 1028 speakers) these funds along with my redundancy have funded a £40k extension at the back of our property which I feel very proud about. On another day it could have all been consumed in upgrading my hifi. 😩
I have rebuilt a much more modest system using my years of experience (I've kept hold of my Esoteric C03 preamp). My current Usher speakers cost me £1,000 and I couldn't be happier. If I win the lottery no doubt I will indulge again but for now I have a much better balance in my life but I am not foolish enough to think I am cured!🤞

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting thread Dom. I've been obsessed (addicted?) to this hobby for 30 years. Slowly but surely I built up a system over many years (always carefully buying second hand or ex-dem) culminating a few years ago in my purchase of a pair of Wilson Sasha loudspeakers (after inheriting some £££'s) I had had cheaper Wilsons WP7 previously but I couldn't live with myself and ended up selling the Sasha's 6 months later they were far too big for my room but I was obsessed with owning a pair of Wilsons!!
I did have regrets selling them but I didn't lose any money. Anyway I was then made redundant shortly after and the juices started to flow again .....my only thought was to buy another pair of Wilsons!!!..........i then woke up one day and thought what the hell am I doing, my car was a 2002 Golf and I was contemplating spending £12k on some speakers how crazy is that! This is what this hobby does over time you lose all sense of reality and perspective, for many it is not about the music it is just about upgrading your kit and the cables!!
I've since sold most of my expensive kit (Esoteric cd player, Plinius power amp, Focal 1028 speakers) these funds along with my redundancy have funded a £40k extension at the back of our property which I feel very proud about. On another day it could have all been consumed in upgrading my hifi. 😩
I have rebuilt a much more modest system using my years of experience (I've kept hold of my Esoteric C03 preamp). My current Usher speakers cost me £1,000 and I couldn't be happier. If I win the lottery no doubt I will indulge again but for now I have a much better balance in my life but I am not foolish enough to think I am cured!🤞
We are building a new house. Like you the money will be put into the house and not HiFi. I still can’t get over how good @Lurch ’s and @Fourleg’s second systems sounded.

Reactions: egg1dog

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of the best evenings I had with music was a party at a friends house ..
He has an original 1960s Jukebox .. it sounds great …
With a very varied selection of music to suit all tastes .. it’s great when people can choose their own music ..
We’re saving up for one ..
Mind you by the time we’ve saved up enough to get one that Diane like’s we will probably change our minds and book a cruise instead ..
Streaming services are the new jukeboxes. When we have friends over they are encouraged to chose their own music from their Spotify accounts.

Reactions: Chumpchops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.