LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There are two main parts to the launch. There is a new chassis called the Selekt Edition that is a step between the KDSM/3 and the original Selekt (now called Selekt Classic and still in the line). Both units will just say Linn Selekt on the front which they liken to all LP12s saying Linn Sondek LP12 on the armboard.

Selekt Edition has machined from casting (not solid billet) pieces to the casework. 8mm thick top and bottom with nice bevelled edge on top and 5mm thick side panels. The Selekt Edition does feature dual subwoofer outputs for stereo usage and a headphone output on the left side at the front. Other than that electronically they seem to be the same, at least when Linn was asked about the expected improvements all they talked about was the improved structural integrity and it's upgrade to the sound.

Besides the casework it has an improved knob with smoother bearing and a fancier look (a ss trim ring inside), improved preset buttons with a better feel and a better display and front glass. Overall it appears that the look and feel is much closer to the KDSM/3, but with it’s own unique machining to the top panel.

The other change is the Organik DACs. Here there is more than meets the eye. There is a stereo Organik DAC cartridge that fits on the same boards that standard and Katalyst DAC cards fit on (both of which are still available). So you can even upgrade 5.1 setups with Organik. However, if you want to do that you have to replace all 3 DAC cards with Organik as Organik and the others cannot be used together (unlike Katalyst and standard that can be mixed). In addition there are now mono line out boards and mono Organik DAC boards that can be used for the highest performance. The mono Organik DACs and matching boards are only sold in pairs and cannot be used with any other boards in the chassis - so only for the highest perfromance Selekt stereo streamer/DAC units.

So now to pricing (all US):
$12,940 Selekt Edition System Hub (no DACs)
$6370 Selekt Classic System Hub (no DACs) - an increase of $1170 from the last price sheet
$4225 Stereo Organik DAC
$7150 Mono Organik DAC sold as pair (I believe priced that way)
$1950 Mono line out cartridge sold as pair
$598 Stereo line out cartridge sold as pair
All the other modules and DACs have gone up as well.

So the top Selekt Edition stereo unit with the mono Organik DACs is $22,040 - very close to the KDSM with Katalyst price which Linn says this will outperform. They did not say how it would compare to a Klimax DS/DSM upgraded to Organik.

Selekt Classic stereo unit with the stereo Organik DAC is $11,193.

However, those prices are only when buying a chassis and the items together. Upgrading an existing Selekt unit to Orgaink is $5280, and the Mono cards and Organik DACs could also be fitted for a cool $11,380! One final note is that all Selekt units shipping now are AirPlay2 capable. Older ones are original AirPlay compatible and it doesn't seem that they are upgradeable for that capability.

Along with these announcements, all Akurate streamers and crossovers are discontinued. Akurate DS, DSM, System Hub, ExaktBox 6 and Exaktbox 10. The Exaktbox-I and the power amps remain in the line and the Akurate casework for the Uphorik and standard Radikal remain. Don't be surprised if the Akurate name disappears from the Exaktbox-I and the amps and just the rest of the name is left on the front panels. There will be generous trade-ins available for the discontinued units toward Organik Selekt units (or Klimax Exaktboxes).

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I wonder how close (both in performance and price) a top-spec'd Selekt DSM edition hub with the dual-mono Organik DACs gets to a Klimax DSM?
Linn claims that the Selekt Edition with Organic (stereo or even better dual mono) outperforms a KDS/M with Katalyst. Comparison with a KDS/M upgraded to Organik was not addressed.

Reactions: Chris 1970 and rad1

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I notice Linn describe the Utopik psu as ‘our best yet’. Wonder if it’ll be available for other devices if it is indeed better than Dynamik?
Utopik will eventually become available for other devices, including at least some older models. Linn is not able to roll it out across the line yet so they are not making a big deal about it right now. Expect a more full rollout with upgrade kits as well to happen sometime in 2023.

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That seems unlikely, as the Edition version features a headphone input. That part is of course missing inside the standard Selekt.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I notice Linn describe the Utopik psu as ‘our best yet’. Wonder if it’ll be available for other devices if it is indeed better than Dynamik?
It wouldn’t be billed as “best yet” if it wasn’t. I expect it to be rolled out in due course. I see Tom beat me to it…

’troll

Last edited:

rad1

rad
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn claims that the Selekt Edition with Organic (stereo or even better dual mono) outperforms a KDS/M with Katalyst. Comparison with a KDS/M upgraded to Organik was not addressed.
I’ve been holding off either (I) upgrading my KDSM to Organik or (II) potentially trading it in for an NGKDSM. I’d definitely like to hear how the top spec Selekt compares with both of these.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No more (Akurate) Exaktboxes? And no immediate replacement? :(
Presumably not big sellers now. As @ThomasOK said earlier, “There will be generous trade-ins available for the discontinued units toward Organik Selekt units (or Klimax Exaktboxes).”

So I expect there to be a few preowned Exaktboxes in the dealer network.

’troll

Reactions: akamatsu

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks @ThomasOK

So is the case upgradable if you already have a Selekt now?
No upgrade mentioned nor do I think it is likely or even practical. Since the Selekt Edition has both a headphone output and two subwoofer outputs there are apparently changes to the main board. New main board, new power supply, new case - that doesn't leave a lot, if anything, to carry over. Linn also don't mention anything in the launch documents to dealers about any official trade in for Selekt Classic owners to Selekt Edition although they do spell out the upgrades for Akurate DS and DSM to SE and for Akurate Exaktboxes to Klimax Exaktboxes. So I expect this to be something you would want to take up with your dealer to see what kind of trade in you would get if you were interested in Selekt Edtition.

Note that not only the Orgaink DAC but also the mono line out boards and dual mono Organik DACs work with existing Selekt units and the Utopik will eventually be available as well. So you would have to decide how much the looks and/or sound differences of the new casework are worth to you.

Reactions: akamatsu

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
No more (Akurate) Exaktboxes? And no immediate replacement? :(
Nope, unless you consider Kilmax Exaktboxes a replacement. As mentioned the Akurate Exaktbox-I is still in the line, although the name may get shortened over time. I expect the Akurate Exaktboxes are not big sellers as those using them would need to be comfortable with several amplifiers and would have to own speakers they work with. Since Linn has no passive speakers currently between the very expensive K350 and the entry level Majik units, both of which are unlikely to be used with Akurate Exaktboxes and separate amps (for opposite reasons), there aren't likely to be many sales there. Probably the occasional one for someone using them with older Linn speakers but it is likely most of them who were interested have already done it. Probably also not a big seller with third party speakers, few of which are really set up for active operation.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From Linn on Facebook:
” Utopik is our very latest – and best ever – PSU topology. Expect it to be rolled out to products existing and new over the course of the next year or so.”

“And yes, it will eventually supersede Dynamik.”

And, for our Akubarik owners -
“whilst it’s not on the product plan now, it hasn’t been ruled out entirely that Akurate Exakt loudspeakers will get Organik DAC. Initially we thought it impossible due to space restrictions, but some significant developments have been made. I’m not promising, but it might happen…”

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
UK Prices:
SELEKT DSM COMPONENTS*
Selekt DSM: Edition Hub 9,950
Selekt DSM: Classic Hub 4,900
Mono Line Out Cartridge (sold as pair) 1,500 For dual-mono configuration. Requires pair of Mono
Organik DAC modules.
Stereo Line Out Cartridge 460 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Power Out Cartridge 855 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Hybrid Cartridge 660 Requires 1x DAC module.
Mono Organik DAC (sold as pair) 5,500 For dual-mono configuration with Mono Line Out
cartridges.
Stereo Organik DAC 3,250 For use with any stereo cartridge.
Stereo Katalyst DAC 1,500 For use with any stereo cartridge.
Stereo Standard DAC 220 For use with any stereo cartridge.
HDMI Upgrade Module 750 With eArc capability
DSP Surround Sound Module 1,095 Requires HDMI Upgrade Module
*When purchased in conjunction with Selekt hub
SELEKT DSM UPGRADES
Mono Line Out Cartridge (sold as pair) 1,875 For dual-mono configuration. Requires pair of Mono
Organik DAC modules.
Stereo Line Out Cartridge 575 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Power Out Cartridge 1,070 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Hybrid Cartridge 826 Requires 1x DAC module.
Mono Organik DAC (sold as pair) 6,875 For dual-mono configuration with Mono Line Out
cartridges.
Stereo Organik DAC 4,060 For use with any stereo cartridge.

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tend to think if existing Selekt DSM owners want the Organik DACs the best thing to do would choose the stereo or dual mono upgrade path. I actually like the form factor of what is now Selekt Classic. The only possible thing I would miss is the headphone jack that is now included on the Select Edition but not a deal killer in any way.

@ThomasOK - can you clarify this item in the pricing.

Edition Organik
$4225 Stereo Organik DAC
$7150 Mono Organik DAC

Selekt Organik Upgrade
Selekt unit to Orgaink is $5280
Mono cards and Organik DACs $11,380

It seems there is a 1k premium for the upgrade of the stereo cards but for the mono cards the delta is much greater? Any thoughts as to why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.