Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No more (Akurate) Exaktboxes? And no immediate replacement? :(
You can go up to 3 way exakt aktiv within a selekt dsm….
I would expect a modular Selekt Exaktbox in the near future, with provision for up to ten channels. But only buy the number of channels that you need. No more wasted Exaktbox channels. Perhaps it could also function as a Selekt Exaktbox-I and include amplifiers.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Utopik will eventually become available for other devices, including at least some older models. Linn is not able to roll it out across the line yet so they are not making a big deal about it right now. Expect a more full rollout with upgrade kits as well to happen sometime in 2023.
Thanks Thomas

Reactions: maddog_007

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I tend to think if existing Selekt DSM owners want the Organik DACs the best thing to do would choose the stereo or dual mono upgrade path. I actually like the form factor of what is now Selekt Classic. The only possible thing I would miss is the headphone jack that is now included on the Select Edition but not a deal killer in any way.

@ThomasOK - can you clarify this item in the pricing.

Edition Organik
$4225 Stereo Organik DAC
$7150 Mono Organik DAC

Selekt Organik Upgrade
Selekt unit to Orgaink is $5280
Mono cards and Organik DACs $11,380

It seems there is a 1k premium for the upgrade of the stereo cards but for the mono cards the delta is much greater? Any thoughts as to why?
$7150 is just the price of the pair of Mono Organik DAC modules which must be added to the $1950 Mono Line out boards when configuring a new Selekt unit for a total of $9100. The price I gave for the upgrade of $11,380 is for pairs of the Mono Line out cards and Organik DAC modules as both would be needed for the upgrade. On the stereo upgrade price I assumed (I thought reasonably) that a stereo line out card would already be installed. If not that card would add $748 to the price (for instance if upgrading a System Hub to a full streamer/DAC/preamp).

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would expect a modular Selekt Exaktbox in the near future, with provision for up to ten channels. But only buy the number of channels that you need. No more wasted Exaktbox channels. Perhaps it could also function as a Selekt Exaktbox-I and include amplifiers.
This would be a partial solution for me. However, sitting here now I am seriously thinking about dumping Exakt (and with it probably new Linn) and going passive. If I do that then it will be Solos, a KK and a KDS/kat. I've been a Linn Aktiv user for over 30 years but active is just getting priced out.

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This would seem to be a possibility but would likely depend on whether Linn finds enough sales potential for a ten channel unit. I would expect a new motherboard would have to be created that could support 5 standard plug in cartridges and that might be practical only if they could sell enough of them. There are a limited number of speakers that need 4 or 5 way active and I wouldn't expect 350s to be part of the target market. So that leaves the few passive Akubariks, Akudoriks, 242s and 212s as the main contenders. Majiks are more likely to be used with an Exaktbox I.

I wonder if Linn might come up with a way to use two Selekt chassis somehow chained together to handle speakers with more than three-way crossovers?

CheckedShirtMatt

Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As someone whose first upgrade in 14 years only arrived three weeks ago, I was a bit narked when the teaser about this announcement came out last week.

Having read the announcement and seen the pricing, I feel I've dodged a bullet. I paid £5,600 for a Selekt DSM Katalyst but if my maths is correct, that now costs £6,860 whereas the standard DAC version is now £5,580 i.e. £20 less than I paid for the Katalyst version.

I'm half tempted to get in touch with Grahams to see what pricing they could offer to swap my Katalyst cartridge for Organik given my DSM is so new and Organik has arrived earlier than we were expecting, but my system still sounds great, hence only half-tempted. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Atze

Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
I would be interested to know if there is any trade in value for my Katalyst DAC, as well.

If it is zero Dollars/ Euros, the upgrade fee feels too steep for me.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This would seem to be a possibility but would likely depend on whether Linn finds enough sales potential for a ten channel unit. I would expect a new motherboard would have to be created that could support 5 standard plug in cartridges and that might be practical only if they could sell enough of them. There are a limited number of speakers that need 4 or 5 way active and I wouldn't expect 350s to be part of the target market. So that leaves the few passive Akubariks, Akudoriks, 242s and 212s as the main contenders. Majiks are more likely to be used with an Exaktbox I.

I wonder if Linn might come up with a way to use two Selekt chassis somehow chained together to handle speakers with more than three-way crossovers?
I was thinking ten (2x5) channels as the Klimax Exaktbox is six channels.

So a Majik 140 owner using an Exaktbox-I could first upgrade by getting separate amps. Then they could further upgrade by going to the Selekt Exaktbox. Beyond that, new amps and/or new speakers. Just one example, but I think a Selekt Exaktbox would open up some possibilities. Linn want to push Exakt. Currently, a Klimax DSM/3 Hub and a Klimax Exaktbox comes in at just over the price of the Klimax DSM/3. I'm thinking that offering the Klimax DSM/3 Hub with a Selekt Exaktbox with Organik at a lower price point with ability to expand to more than 3-way speakers might tempt some into going Exakt.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

So a Majik 140 owner using an Exaktbox-I could first upgrade by getting separate amps. Then they could further upgrade by going to the Selekt Exaktbox. Beyond that, new amps and/or new speakers. Just one example, but I think a Selekt Exaktbox would open up some possibilities. Linn want to push Exakt. Currently, a Klimax DSM/3 Hub and a Klimax Exaktbox comes in at just over the price of the Klimax DSM/3. I'm thinking that offering the Klimax DSM/3 Hub with a Selekt Exaktbox with Organik at a lower price point with ability to expand to more than 3-way speakers might tempt some into going Exakt.
Being still a humble, cave-dwelling, analogue creature I've read through this a couple of times and am reminded, IIRC, of Cat's line from Red Dwarf - "I was with you all the way 'til simply" :)

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...So that leaves the few passive Akubariks, Akudoriks, 242s and 212s as the main contenders. Majiks are more likely to be used with an Exaktbox I...
... and all of the speakers out there that have filters for them that people have bought into Exakt for. Many of them in a different league to the Majiks. I still see Selekt as aimed at those requiring a one box solution - but to go active it will need active speakers or a good number os amplifier slots in the Selekt. I suspect that a Selekt EB-i is likely on the cards - in a Selekt enclosure. A Selekt Radikal (or a new PS). They could even go back to an inboard PS using the new technology - Ektopik ?

I can see my Akurate system growing old with me
!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Being still a humble, cave-dwelling, analogue creature I've read through this a couple of times and am reminded, IIRC, of Cat's line from Red Dwarf - "I was with you all the way 'til simply" :)
What's ironic is that the complexity of Exakt makes an Exakt system with integrated Exakt speakers so simple. :)

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

The question isn't whether it will tempt some, but whether it will persuade enough to buy...

Reactions: akamatsu

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
$7150 is just the price of the pair of Mono Organik DAC modules which must be added to the $1950 Mono Line out boards when configuring a new Selekt unit for a total of $9100. The price I gave for the upgrade of $11,380 is for pairs of the Mono Line out cards and Organik DAC modules as both would be needed for the upgrade. On the stereo upgrade price I assumed (I thought reasonably) that a stereo line out card would already be installed. If not that card would add $748 to the price (for instance if upgrading a System Hub to a full streamer/DAC/preamp).
So if I have a stereo line out card - the one with balanced and single ended outs - I guess I would only need to stereo Organic DAC upgrade. I always thought the DAC was in the stereo out card itself, and might be.

Do you know what part will be replaced for an original SDSM? I also have the HDMI board.

Thanks -

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also received an email from Linn this morning about the new Selekt DSM with Organik DAC’s and have been contemplating the new direction that Linn has taken.

Thinking out loud: It actually makes a lot of sense if you think of about how complicated Exakt systems can be with all the amplification channels required, Exaktboxes and all the cables necessary for Exakt, using passive speakers.

The new Selekt options simplify the whole process and reduce the box count, which may be much more attractive to most audio sales people. Many audio sales people prefer to sell traditional boxes, a separate preamp, amplifiers, digital streamer and speakers. Exakt made that a more difficult sell for many salespeople, as they would have to convince customers to buy multiple boxes including Exaktboxes, multichannel amplifiers, and all the cables required for an Exakt setup

The new Selekt DSM’s will allow customers to have a more integrated system, with less boxes, which hopefully translates into greater sales

I hope this new direction translates into greater sales for Linn, and appeals to a much wider range of audio buyers.

Reactions: Tendaberry

Specialboy

Wammer
Dec 11, 2021
Nuneaton
AKA
Iain
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had my ADSM for just over a year now and have gone from ADSM & A2200 adding an A4200 and AEB6 earlier this year. I have repeatedly expressed concern that the Akurate will change to the new style boxes like Klimax and Selekt and have been reassured and continued with my purchases. I know the Dealers don’t know everything that Linn are thinking and doing, but people like @akamatsu seem to be pretty well informed in advance. I can understand the withdrawal of the ADSM but why bother to kill the name and introduce 2 different versions of Selekt? It’s just madness. It would be good if the AEB was to get the option of Organik but I’m not sure I want to throw good money after bad and upgrade anything in the Akurate range. The Values will have tanked and Linn haven’t even had the courtesy to send me an email to inform me of the upgrade options. I was looking to NGKSH and KEB anyhow, but there is a reliance on trading in or selling the current kit that now has now taken a hit. No doubt the introduction of the new PS is the Klimax level kit will be a good excuse for a price rise.

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
So if I have a stereo line out card - the one with balanced and single ended outs - I guess I would only need to stereo Organic DAC upgrade. I always thought the DAC was in the stereo out card itself, and might be.

Do you know what part will be replaced for an original SDSM? I also have the HDMI board.

Thanks -
Yes, you would just need the Organik DAC cartridge. The DAC is in a small cartridge that plugs into the line out or amplifier card, regardless of which DAC is used. So to upgrade to Organik the existing standard or Katalyst DAC module is removed and the Organik one plugged in.

Reactions: CaptenBonScott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online