Linn Owners

Another Space Optimisation Adjustment

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PS I'm wondering if firing across one end of a longer room is something that SO overcompensates for, thus shifting to the right (not something I'd normally support 😁) is better. Be interesting what others in our situation find.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today I made identical space profiles with 80:20, 70:30, 50:50, & 30:70, swapped between them a few times and as you would expect the 30:70 has the most bass, but still benefits from the general improvement in sound that SO gives. So I'm going to try that for a few days and see how I feel. Overall, at the moment I think it is sounding better as putting the bass back in hasn't degraded anything.

Glad you started this discussion!
There's another method you can try in order to increase bass, and this is Linn's recommended way. That is to set the Optimisation Preference Slider (OPS) to default 80/20, and increase the absorption of the top two materials. Usually this is wall and ceiling or floor. If SO thinks that more bass is being absorbed, that is being allowed to pass through the wall, it will increase the bass to compensate. I did use this method, but slowly worked my way back to all default settings.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PS I'm wondering if firing across one end of a longer room is something that SO overcompensates for, thus shifting to the right (not something I'd normally support 😁) is better. Be interesting what others in our situation find.
I recall recently talking with a dealer about this sort of situation. Where the system is located at one end of a long room. He said that SO sorted it all out quite nicely. And this was a rather extreme notable example and was sharing it with me because.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today I made identical space profiles with 80:20, 70:30, 50:50, & 30:70, swapped between them a few times and as you would expect the 30:70 has the most bass, but still benefits from the general improvement in sound that SO gives. So I'm going to try that for a few days and see how I feel. Overall, at the moment I think it is sounding better as putting the bass back in hasn't degraded anything.

Glad you started this discussion!
It is a good plan to live with it for a while. Personally I usually find that initially I am entranced by the EXTRA bass but over time realise it is dominating so move the slider to the left for less bass but more control...YMMV

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is a good plan to live with it for a while. Personally I usually find that initially I am entranced by the EXTRA bass but over time realise it is dominating so move the slider to the left for less bass but more control...YMMV
I suspect different rooms, ears and preferences all play a part.

Yesterday I was fortunate to hear two different orchestras in the same hall, alongside choirs and other live music over the whole day. Hearing Mussorgsky’s ‘Pictures…’ played by a world-class orchestra is pretty overwhelming, and the power of the percussion and bass is stupendous. Even the best Hifi can’t come close to that, and no domestic room could handle it.

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's another method you can try in order to increase bass, and this is Linn's recommended way. That is to set the Optimisation Preference Slider (OPS) to default 80/20, and increase the absorption of the top two materials. Usually this is wall and ceiling or floor. If SO thinks that more bass is being absorbed, that is being allowed to pass through the wall, it will increase the bass to compensate. I did use this method, but slowly worked my way back to all default settings.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, will give it a try. My room is not well defined using the existing materials as it is brick walls, with plasterboard/drywall/gyprock stuck directly to them and concrete ceiling with thin battens and plasterboard. Presumably that should actually reflect more bass than SO thinks, as it is set to plasterboard, following Linn's recommendations?

I suspect different rooms, ears and preferences all play a part.

Yesterday I was fortunate to hear two different orchestras in the same hall, alongside choirs and other live music over the whole day. Hearing Mussorgsky’s ‘Pictures…’ played by a world-class orchestra is pretty overwhelming, and the power of the percussion and bass is stupendous. Even the best Hifi can’t come close to that, and no domestic room could handle it.
Indeed, I was actually already debating whether to start another thread about how people reproduce orchestral music.

Had an interesting experience this weekend, went to a full on modern rock gig Friday night at a place with a pretty good PA that was very loud (bass thudding through one's chest throughout), followed by professional state orchestra the following night (Strauss, Haydn, Saariaho, Sibelius), which we regularly attend. Neither experience (one highly artificial, one entirely 'natural') is well replicated by a home hifi, but the latter particularly not. As you note, the percussion and bass notes are especially noticeable compared with the home system, the other thing of course is the sound stage, which is really not even vaguely reproduced. It was actually the orchestral bass, rather than the rock music bass that inspired me to experiment again.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As you note, the percussion and bass notes are especially noticeable compared with the home system, the other thing of course is the sound stage, which is really not even vaguely reproduced. It was actually the orchestral bass, rather than the rock music bass that inspired me to experiment again.
Yes, there’s something about that huge mass of air filled with an orchestra’s sound. The trumpets searing their way through the densest of textures; the almighty bass drum, the resonant gongs, and yet the celesta is sparklingly audible.

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@akamatsu Another good tip I can try, thanks.

@Nopiano I could not agree more. so much air between the notes, such a wide space. I think I just need a bigger house.

Not only orchestral is difficult to reproduce in the house, also chamber music. I regularly play the cello in my own house, and the difference is enormous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online