Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Volante many thanks for posting this link. 

I have wanted one of these amps for a long time to drive the second coil on my Ref 3's but did not want to pay £1k.

Mine is now on its way having made an offer a bit below the price mentioned above.

Dvddvd

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi just wondered if this is suitable to power two DIY subwoofers sealed box with 12 inch drive units ? I've just bought a Berhinger 6000dsp amp to power them, but after plugging it in there was an almighty bang and lots of sparks and smoke, I'm seriously doubting the quality ! 

Dvddvd

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the behringer one I bought I plugged in and it banged, sparked and a bit of smoke and died, lasted 5 seconds. So I've sent it back and bought one of the Anthony Gallo amps. Feel a bit happier the behringer one was very plasticy and light and was like an Xmas tree with all flashing lights before it died

volante

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2008
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dvddvd - the owner's manual for the gallo SA Amp is available as a pdf download online - it has  a small section about use with non Gallo passive subs (and some other applications)

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If I didn't already have too many speakers, the Gallo looked VERY suitable! (Yes, I know you guys don't know what 'too many....." means!)

Dvddvd

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic amp, I'm using it to power two DIY 12 inch sealed box subwoofers. What a difference in stereo subs in a room.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having managed to buy the amp at a bargain price and then installed it into the system the results were anti-climatic.

It became clear that the amp was not driving the second voice coil on one of the speakers. After a bit of investigation I discovered that one of the speakers had an intermittent connection on the second voice coil.  This may have been the first time that the second coil had been used on these speakers so the problem may well have been there for a long time.

I was then concerned about the cost of getting this problem fixed and could see my bargain purchase was going to become less of a bargain. I did try and check the wiring but the wires disappeared into the body of the speaker somewhere and I was not able to follow the cable all the way inside.

So, I got in touch with AG in Scotland to find out if they could help. Stephen at AG was very helpful and he described how to get acces to the bass driver.  I did attempt to slide the bass drive out but gave up after deciding I might cause damage to the body of the speaker. Whilst re-assembling the speaker I did manage to make things worse by breaking some more wires off the treble control switch!

So off to AG they got shipped.

The best case was they would find a problem with the wiring but if not it was going to be new drivers.  They did not have any Ref 3 drivers but could fit some from the Ref 3.5 model.  I was a bit concerned about having a hybrid version of these speakers especially when I come to sell them.  Fortunately the problem turned out to be a dry joint in the wiring so no additional expense incurred to buy and fit new drivers. :)

The speakers are now back at home, setup with the new amp and I am enjoying the music with a little more oomph at the lower frequencies.

So thanks to Volante (Neil) for the original post about these amps being available.

Plus the support from AG to solve the problem was great and they only charged me the courier costs to get them there and back.

volante

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2008
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chrisph - glad that you got the problem sorted out and good that AG was so supportive.

Still enjoying AG sub with my 3.5s with that extra je ne sais quoi at the lower level

• Upvote
Reactions: chrisph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.