Linn Owners

Anyone experienced an Ekstatik failing?

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got my Ekstatik 3 weeks ago and I'm absolutely happy with it. However, last Friday (after 25 hours of using it) I've suddenly heard strange noises when listening. After some research I'f detected a kind of loose wire, as you can see on the picture. It seems to work as a little 'antenna' ... .
The Ekstatik is still working well, but I've got this additional noises which can be heard between the tracks or at the end of the record.

Has anybody an idea about this loose wire?

IMG_1628.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: kryno

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got my Ekstatik 3 weeks ago and I'm absolutely happy with it. However, last Friday (after 25 hours of using it) I've suddenly heard strange noises when listening. After some research I'f detected a kind of loose wire, as you can see on the picture. It seems to work as a little 'antenna' ... .
The Ekstatik is still working well, but I've got this additional noises which can be heard between the tracks or at the end of the record.

IMG_1628.jpg
That’s not right so back to the dealer for diagnosis.:eek:

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You sure it’s a wire and not a hair or fibre you’ve managed to pick up?

The only wires there should be the ones coming from the coils and running along the grooves in the body. Can’t imagine it working at all if one of those has come adrift.
1677530987781.jpeg

’troll

Last edited:

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it is a conductive wire it might be touching the record like a ghost stylus.
Hopefully just a bit of his sleeve.:eek:

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's what concerns me!
If it's any komfort 😉, I bought a "refurbished" Krystal a few years back as a stop gap. It was clearly differentiated from new stock as it was un-loggoed (no Krystal blue badge). Also, it was made clear that no subsequent trade in would be available...

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

IMG_1628.jpg
What happened to the Linn logo on the front of the cartridge? 'Additional noises' can't be right.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What happened to the Linn logo on the front of the cartridge? 'Additional noises' can't be right.
The noises reported tally with a ‘wire‘ tracking in the groove and buzzing, hence it’s audible when the proper stylus is a bit further ahead in a silent passage. But, it definitely shouldn’t be there!

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm in agreement about it going back to the dealer for a check. If it were one of the coil wires going back to the pins you would be missing a channel as they are single strands. In addition those wires go through plastic tubes embedded into the aluminum body so it is hard to imagine how one would come loose. If it isn't something picked up off the record my best guess is it is a leftover strand of wire that somehow got stuck to the cartridge in manufacturing.

If you felt adventurous you could try to gently pull it off the cartridge with tweezers. But if it caused any additional damage you might void the warranty doing so. The safest bet is to take it back to the dealer and have them deal with it.

• Upvote
Reactions: mskaye and akamatsu

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Short update: Yesterday my Ekstatik went back to my dealer. He checked it and found it o.k. He'll send it back to Linn for a repair.

IMG_1832.jpg

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, clearly, it's not OK! He might have meant it produced a sound in 2 channels.

Reactions: pirov

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What was the problem he says it’s ok but it has to go back.:unsure:
My dealer wanted to make sure that the wire is not broken before he started to remove the Ekstatik from the head shell and prepare it for shipping. The wire must be re-located and fixed in its correct position and the Ekstatik should checked by the manufacturer after this repair.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer wanted to make sure that the wire is not broken before he started to remove the Ekstatik from the head shell and prepare it for shipping. The wire must be re-located and fixed in its correct position and the Ekstatik should checked by the manufacturer after this repair.
Wow
That’s a bummer especially if it has to go back to EMT you might have a wait.
Disappointing to say the least.
Good Luck.

jororupp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow
That’s a bummer especially if it has to go back to EMT you might have a wait.
Disappointing to say the least.
Good Luck.
My dealer will go to Glasgow next Sunday. I'm confident that he'll discuss this case with the 'authoritys'...

Reactions: ThomasOK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.