Are these mains cables a good or bad idea ?

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
I have seen it advised that its best, especially with amplifiers, to plug components direct into the wall sockets.

If however (like me) you only have a single socket close to your system then you have to use an extension block.

However i have just come across this cable design that has a single mains plug but with two IEC connectors attached allowing two components to be plugged into a single socket.

Therefore are these cables a good or bad idea ?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-cable-assemblies/8188912/ 

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks interesting but I’d rather have one cable for one item. Look expensive for what they are too. A decent well made mains block would be better well spent on imo

Reactions: ANADROL-50

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They were usually sold in computer shops - allowed you to connect the monitor and the PC to a single mains socket - not advisable for hifi IMO - get a good plug board (or get an electrician to put in extra plug sockets on the ring main (no spurs) 

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have seen it advised that its best, especially with amplifiers, to plug components direct into the wall sockets.

If however (like me) you only have a single socket close to your system then you have to use an extension block.

However i have just come across this cable design that has a single mains plug but with two IEC connectors attached allowing two components to be plugged into a single socket.

No different from using a mains extension block. I use a similar twin cable for my dual-mono phono stage.

Reactions: lazycat

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely fine, although do remember that they are definitely directional.

wink.png

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
They were usually sold in computer shops - allowed you to connect the monitor and the PC to a single mains socket - not advisable for hifi IMO - get a good plug board (or get an electrician to put in extra plug sockets on the ring main (no spurs) 
Is it best then (if possible) to simply plug components direct into wall sockets and do away with any extension blocks etc ?

Muckplaster

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2013
Stoke Trister
AKA
Edward Harris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

It really doesn't matter at all. 

Reactions: Blzebub

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it best then (if possible) to simply plug components direct into wall sockets and do away with any extension blocks etc ?
for hifi you have more than two items so best to use a decent plug board or plug direct to the wall .. If you only have two items these serve a purpose - as to how well they will work for you only you can decide.  All I know is they worked a treat on a computer and monitor and cut down on plugs 

Reactions: ANADROL-50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.