Small room means no quality deep bass ?

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
Is it a simple fact that, if your listening room is under a certain size, it is impossible to get quality deep bass reproduction from a system ?

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good question! No it is'nt My room is 3.9m x 4.3m and my system gives me all the qualty bass I want and thats with a suspended wooden floor with a 5 foot deep void below it.

The trick is trying different speakers until you hit the sweet spot my first mistake was persisting with floor standers as trying to isolate them was impossible. Once I started down the standmount route the floor problem was solved. Once I got my Event Opal active monitors the bass and everything else has been spot on.

Very good bass can be achieved in a small room you just have to find the hifi that will give it to you and I think my Esoteric Pre has a lot to do with it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ANADROL-50

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it a simple fact that, if your listening room is under a certain size, it is impossible to get quality deep bass reproduction from a system ?
No. But as room size decreases, achieving this without also having distracting room mode resonances at particular frequencies increasingly necessitates the use of some form of EQ. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also think removing a 4/5 seater settee that has been in my music room for many years to cater for others to listen to my hifi was a major step in getting my room sounding right.  I now have just one seat a Stressless Recliner & Foot stool as I realised 99% of the time I'm the only one listening.

Now no one is sat in a corner feeling/hearing any bass nodes mushing their ears & head it's the hot set or no seat these days.👌🏻

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I also think removing a 4/5 seater settee that has been in my music room for many years to cater for others to listen to my hifi was a major step in getting my room sounding right.  I now have just one seat a Stressless Recliner & Foot stool as I realised 99% of the time I'm the only one listening.

Now no one is sat in a corner feeling/hearing any bass nodes mushing their ears & head it's the hot set or no seat these days.👌🏻
If someone else wants to listen, do you stand next to them with your arms folded and making a point of checking your watch? 🤣

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nah! I get out my very comfy folding chairs out and put them either side 🪑🪑🪑🪑😝😝

Reactions: savvypaul

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Nah! I get out my very comfy folding chairs out and put them either side 🪑🪑🪑🪑😝😝
JIWcCU.jpg

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a home demo of the Dutch & Dutch 8c a few years ago and they delivered by far the best bass I’ve ever heard in any venue - and this was in a small flat.
Blimey their not cheap & cheerful are they at over 8k 😲😲

Reactions: justinhd

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think for me, once you accept the space you've got & its limitations you stop hankering for that old room you used to have that was better. Your right Steve about the settee but a lie down is v.important ?  🙂   I live in an old terraced house....but am not jealous of other folks Beverly Hills type choices 🤢....honest ?

• Haha

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think for me, once you accept the space you've got & its limitations you stop hankering for that old room you used to have that was better. Your right Steve about the settee but a lie down is v.important ?  🙂   I live in an old terraced house....but am not jealous of other folks Beverly Hills type choices 🤢....honest ?
It became the pooches day bed & I never got a look in 🤔 I can lay down in myrecliner👍

Reactions: garn63

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My personal experience is quite the opposite. The boundary effect in my room reinforced the lower register rather than diminishing it. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They come with the best graphs, though...
I would'nt know a graph if it jumped up & bit me on the arse if I'm honest never looked at anything like that in my hifi journey to date :nup:

Reactions: savvypaul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles