hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends on the report but record sales will be higher than CD in £ or $ because they’re 2.5 times the price, or more. Volume/quantity is the better metric.
Good point. Could be a play on words 👍
Price and storage and user flexibility is
Why I favour cd. Like the feel of vinyl but feels something of a luxury nowadays.

Reactions: Nopiano

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
If I was living in Japan (or most big cities in Asia) I would also be a huge SACD supporter.
But here, in Europe, the few titles available were reissues, sold at high prices.
I believe that it is superior to the CD, but never had the start it deserved… can it still be resurrected at sane prices?…
(vinyl was considered dead some years ago)

Reactions: amigo7

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I was living in Japan (or most big cities in Asia) I would also be a huge SACD supporter.
But here, in Europe, the few titles available were reissues, sold at high prices.
I believe that it is superior to the CD, but never had the start it deserved… can it still be resurrected at sane prices?…
I think it comes down to simple economics. I would say it doesn't matter in sound quality terms as I am hearing better resolution now from cd than 20 years ago, due to the improvement in the players and dacs themselves.
I believe that's where we will continue to hear improvement in cd playback in the future too.

Last edited:
Reactions: naka

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know what mainstream pop/rock labels do these days but in classical music, labels like BIS, Channel Classics, Chandos and Linn offer SACD routinely. It’s one of the reasons I still buy discs.

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm back into CDs and happy, for many reasons

1. They sound different to other mediums, sometimes better but not always, but I like the variation
2. All physical music mediums still blow my mind tech-wise; about a 3-mile line of microscopic code in bumps, read by laser with ridiculous accuracy by the CDP 🤯
3. I listen to more albums in full than when streaming
4. Some of the electronic music I was in to when younger is pretty much CD only and seems to suit the format
5. Using my CDP as a CDT for my DAC makes me feel like I'm making progress in the hifi world and certainly makes me cool at parties
6. Lots of bargains out there to find and enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online