Are you thinking about getting into CD's again

britishcomposers

britishcomposers
Wammer
Nov 8, 2017
Shaftesbury, Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, we do live in a phone zombie world you're quite right, it's changing society completely. You can't even go for a beer at the local without seeing 'them'.

It's a blessing and a curse, online life / communication. But it's very real a virtual world, it's stimulating the brain cells even more than that old face to face used to occupy.
That all depends upon the company one's caught-up with. Someone with interesting conversation, (good, and a pleasure in exchanging), a rabbiting chatterbox that might as well be a budgerigar with you as the long suffering mirror that merely says random, "Yes" and "I know", while you desperately seek a convenient segue with an exit strategy, or worse, a total bore; one crosses the road if quick enough. I must say that I enjoy all interaction, but do avoid negative people who are full-time moaners or that spew complete and utter rubbish. One such person who sometimes goes on and on when randomly telephoning me at the most inopportune moments to bend my ear in two for over half-an-hour with elevated yarns and fantastically unbelievable claims (he wouldn't know this site, nor know my handle, but went to college with), always secretly has, and forever will be, Bob Bullshit. Somehow though, if he stopped calling, I would probably miss the material I derive from his clearly unhinged and distorted diatribes.

Lancslinn

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
Lancashire UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why? :D

You're not one of those people are you that wants to stop and talk while people just want to go about their business are you :)

The amount of people I used to talk to in work or wherever who said, I saw so-and-so last night, we used to work with or whatever. He/She stood there and was talking about things that are no longer relevant, all I wanted to do was buy some fish fingers, but had to be polite and stand there while they talked at me. :D

Of course, socializing in a Wam show is fun and enjoyable, :) So we are not condemning it completely. But the Wam show is officially a calendar social holiday, and the best one ;) (y)
Sartre: The definition of hell is other people.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't play records (they are not 'vinyls') in my car so I play CDs. I still buy CDs and have just catalogued them so a few I had forgotten about have had an airing. I have about 460 CDs with many being doubles or sets.

My CD list is named, 'Catalogue Under Name or Title'.

Last edited:

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
now I listen to music saved on a NAS bought on the internet, hi-res, standard, I-tunes and streaming and I find everything right away, nice but in the long run this tends to kill the pleasure of research, discovery and waiting. But I admit, the pleasure of purchasing a CD in the shop in the historic center of my city after a breakfast with cappuccino and croissant or after an afternoon walk with friends is priceless...then I rip the CD.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The whole experience of playing CDs is a treat in itself. Opening the jewel case only for the front to detach and fall to the floor, taking the cd from the holder, Which most of the prongs have broke off and are rattling in the case itself. Wiping the fingerprints off with your t-shirt from the last time you used it, and place it on the plastic wobbly tray and loading it. Picking up the front of the case and taking your seat. Hit play on the remote and watch with a degree of nervousness as the CD player tries to find the disc. You know it’s in there but the cd player is just messing with you. Finally the display shows you the info and you’re off! Whoop, now where’s the liner notes, you gently slide the booklet out, which inevitably gets stuck on the plastic tabs and detaches the front page from the liner. Fuming, you get out the magnifying glass to read the liner and sit squinting in semi darkness enjoying the music. Aaahhhh. Digital bliss. 😊

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One such person who sometimes goes on and on when randomly telephoning me at the most inopportune moments to bend my ear in two for over half-an-hour with elevated yarns and fantastically unbelievable claims (he wouldn't know this site, nor know my handle, but went to college with), always secretly has, and forever will be, Bob Bullshit. Somehow though, if he stopped calling, I would probably miss the material I derive from his clearly unhinged and distorted diatribes.

Surely every one knows or should know a Bobby Bullshitter or Jay from the Inbetweeners?!

I do and it's funny listening to his random shit and the stories he comes up with. A most imaginative mind and one I don't mind giving half an hour to listen too. How he hasn't been arrested or got 1500 women pregnant is beyond me. Sadly, I'm not that lucky...

[No one pregnant btw]
[Can't talk about the other]

:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: britishcomposers

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have never left CD format and really appreciate the ease of use of streaming, but what I can't get my head round is when artists release albums on download and LP, but not CD... surely there are still more owners of CDP's than record decks? I've even seen albums being released on cassette and not on CD.
Mac

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
Have never left CD format and really appreciate the ease of use of streaming, but what I can't get my head round is when artists release albums on download and LP, but not CD... surely there are still more owners of CDP's than record decks? I've even seen albums being released on cassette and not on CD.
Mac
I completely share your opinion.
The number of titles released on CD worldwide deserve continued support. They are wonderful collecting items if you are interested in that (like I do) and trouble free in use.
Also CD players are cheap to produce, reliable and can be very good sounding machines.
I am all in :)

Last edited:

britishcomposers

britishcomposers
Wammer
Nov 8, 2017
Shaftesbury, Dorset
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Surely every one knows or should know a Bobby Bullshitter or Jay from the Inbetweeners?!

I do and it's funny listening to his random shit and the stories he comes up with. A most imaginative mind and one I don't mind giving half an hour to listen too. How he hasn't been arrested or got 1500 women pregnant is beyond me. Sadly, I'm not that lucky...

[No one pregnant btw]
[Can't talk about the other]

:cool:
Re- Bob Bullshit, when we were at engineering college back in '81-'82, when he was on a roll, I used to count his use of the 'f'-word in sentences at the rate of every seven seconds. Made Al Pacino's Scar-Face seem positively tame.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mac
hmmmm I think nowadays more LP. New generation prefer bite music with streaming, the old generation prefer LP or use dowload instead CD. I see in the remains stores of my city a lot of people that choose LP but a few people in CD aisle.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still occasionally buy a Deluxe box set CD , I'd never buy the vinyl equivalent , sold all my vinyl re-issues but still like playing my original copies . There is something about SACD , Blu-Ray and CD specials that I like .
In 1999 Sony was invented one of the best stuff of hi-end history: the SACD. The real SACDs was much, much better than CD. When I listened a real SACD I enjoied natural music for the first time. SACD was killed by Major. Money win always

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In 1999 Sony was invented one of the best stuff of hi-end history: the SACD. The real SACDs was much, much better than CD. When I listened a real SACD I enjoied natural music for the first time. SACD was killed by Major. Money win always
I have several Mofi SACDs , a couple short of Bob Dylan's 15 , wait for a decent price as they fetch around £45 a pop .

SpLinnter23

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2022
Walton on Thames
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still buying CDs . I listen differently to physical media vs streaming. Start at the beginning and listen to the end. No screen tempting me to ‘move along’. So I enjoy the music more. Secondly because buying new CDs supports the artist whereas streaming really does not. Always try to buy at a gig for that reason.

Having said that streaming is unbeatable for exploring new music recommendations and the cross referencing from the credits info that Qobuz etc all provide.

Bit of everything really 84517A0E-6FE1-4B84-A4A8-99F48341ACB4.jpeg

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reports say vinyl sales surpassed Cd sales last year for the first time since 1987.
However combined physical medium sales were up 3% overall.
This shows a taste for the physical medium overall including cassette but also that cd sales are still very popular.

Reactions: whitehart

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't see a decline in the CD format. Everything is still being released in the format (new releases I see anyway) so it will still go on.

I think how artists get paid for streaming their music must be a minefield.

Just a general point: we as a species are becoming more and more impatient. Everything now has to be available immediately. We want to speak with someone so we expect them to answer their mobile phone immediately. Drivers don't want to wait at traffic lights and at islands so many now go through a red light and sail through islands in busy traffic. Drivers in a side road deliberately stick the nose of the vehicle out to bully their way onto a main road. I had one do that the other day and because I steered around him, he sounded his horn at me.

Last edited:

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't see a decline in the CD format. Everything is still being released in the format (new releases I see anyway) so it will still go on.

I think how artists get paid for streaming their music must be a minefield.

Just a general point: we as a species are becoming more and more impatient. Everything now has to be available immediately. We want to speak with someone so we expect them to answer their mobile phone immediately. Drivers don't want to wait at traffic lights and at islands so many now go through a red light and sail through islands in busy traffic. Drivers in a side road deliberately stick the nose of the vehicle out to bully their way onto a main road. I had one do that the other day and because I steered around him, he sounded his horn at me.
Beep beep 😭

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reports say vinyl sales surpassed Cd sales last year for the first time since 1987.
However combined physical medium sales were up 3% overall.
This shows a taste for the physical medium overall including cassette but also that cd sales are still very popular.
It depends on the report but record sales will be higher than CD in £ or $ because they’re 2.5 times the price, or more. Volume/quantity is the better metric.

Reactions: Wenge1 and hiesteem

d88

Wammer
Dec 2, 2020
Scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got back into CDs during the COVID lockdowns, mainly as I had bought a NAS drive and was looking for cheap physical media to 'feed' it. 2nd hand it's hard to beat CDs VFM at the moment.

There are also instances of listening to an album through my CD player sounds better than listening through the likes of Tidal, so for me for various reasons there is still a future for CD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online