Are you thinking about getting into CD's again

Craig_

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2020
Norwich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
😂 morse code to the lady across the road who types my posts for me on her laptop. Or more realistically I use my own smart phone. Tbh I find smart phones a necessary evil for work. But I’ve deleted all social media platforms, don’t do mobile banking, avoid diy scanning booths at shops etc. I want to talk to people in person, have a chat with people at shops etc. If we enable all this automation to happen it’s going to be a bleak world.
It‘s a fair point but personally I can’t think of anything more tedious than having to pop to the shops and interact with folks whilst trying to pick something for tea!! For me it just highlights how bleak the world already is:ROFLMAO:

Home delivery and a brief chat with the driver works perfectly well for me!

Regarding mobile banking, if you happen to live around the north Norfolk coastline you will notice a severe lack of banks, they have pretty much all gone nowadays so you will have a long drive if you need to use one . Mobile Banking is a must really, but this is the very point you are making, use it or lose it.

Gecko

Wammer
Jun 20, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On my system I have found CD playback to be very similar to high res streaming via Tidal.
However SACD playback trump both CD and tidal.
MoFi SACDs are so sweet and smooth sounding.
I would also highly recommend Yo-Yo Ma plays Morricone SACD ISO if you can get hold of it.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Regarding mobile banking, if you happen to live around the north Norfolk coastline you will notice a severe lack of banks, they have pretty much all gone nowadays so you will have a long drive if you need to use one . Mobile Banking is a must really,
Yes it's pretty much the way it's going that is true. The Mrs works for a bank and customer service is now pretty much, as customers come in for service she tells them how it's done on the mobile app. Showing herself out of a job, but It's only a matter of time anyway. She'll still have work but things are getting very technology automated now, doing away with need for service or buildings.

I'm fine with mobile banking myself, I really don't want to go to a building, if I need something I'll call.

Anyway, besides the point :) but similar, music is now on an app hi res, doing away with the need for physical record shops and a shop keeper :D

Reactions: Craig_ and hiesteem

Owl

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it's pretty much the way it's going that is true. The Mrs works for a bank and customer service is now pretty much, as customers come in for service she tells them how it's done on the mobile app. Showing herself out of a job, but It's only a matter of time anyway. She'll still have work but things are getting very technology automated now, doing away with need for service or buildings.

I'm fine with mobile banking myself, I really don't want to go to a building, if I need something I'll call.

Anyway, besides the point :) but similar, music is now on an app hi res, doing away with the need for physical record shops and a shop keeper :D
When WWIII kicks off at the end of this decade, the satellites and internet physical installations are destroyed, CDs will be going strong. plus the cash under my floorboards will mean I’m not trying to access inoperable online banking

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When WWIII kicks off at the end of this decade, the satellites and internet physical installations are destroyed, CDs will be going strong. plus the cash under my floorboards will mean I’m not trying to access inoperable online banking
If it's that bad, don't think we are going to be worrying about our CD collections :) I have kept all mine anyway, not thinking of dumping or selling, not that they are worth anything, but they are staying. Collections don't take long to build anyway, it's just general hoarding. I have a better collection of vinyl now than I did when vinyl was in its heyday and my main medium, and I dumped/lost all those the first time around.

Collecting physical media is just hoarding, all these possessions can become a burden on our lives, especially when there's a better option.

The Internet will always find a way anyway, that's what it was designed for, military purposes. It's called the web as if one connection breaks, it can always find another link. And its structure now is way beyond what anyone ever thought it could be!

Last edited:

Drummerman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2018
I was meant to deliver something to you. Could you possibly give me your address again? Thank you

• Haha
Reactions: JustinTime

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shouldn't one keep them as a physical backup for when the hard disc goes phtt?
This. Apart from any legal issue with keeping the rips after selling the CDs.
I sold all my LPs around 40 years ago, and then spent years trying to replace them. So they will never be sold, and I feel the same about CDs now. I don't need to sell them, financially, and I have room to keep them.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still occasionally buy a Deluxe box set CD , I'd never buy the vinyl equivalent , sold all my vinyl re-issues but still like playing my original copies . There is something about SACD , Blu-Ray and CD specials that I like .

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's one of the saddest things I've read recently.
Why? :D

You're not one of those people are you that wants to stop and talk while people just want to go about their business are you :)

The amount of people I used to talk to in work or wherever who said, I saw so-and-so last night, we used to work with or whatever. He/She stood there and was talking about things that are no longer relevant, all I wanted to do was buy some fish fingers, but had to be polite and stand there while they talked at me. :D

Of course, socializing in a Wam show is fun and enjoyable, :) So we are not condemning it completely. But the Wam show is officially a calendar social holiday, and the best one ;) (y)

Reactions: Craig_

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Are you thinking about getting into CD's again​

BNL - I still have my 1000 or so CDs and only dig into them for an album I can't find on Qobuz - so very rarely.

I ripped the lot many years ago, but this proved a waste of a huge effort as everything is now available from Qobuz, often in higher sound quality. However if browsing for music to listen to, this is impossible with Qobuz, so I browse my Library of ripped CDs as I know I like just about everything there. My Library s sub-divided into 4 or 5 folders such as Classical, World & Weird, etc and this helps with browsing, depending on my mood that day!

I did buy a new streamer / ripper some years ago, but I chose one that could also simply PLAY CDs rather than having to rip them first. These are rare as hen’s teeth, but now CDs can be played directly without waiting for the rip and no need for stand-alone CDP.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

You're not one of those people are you that wants to stop and talk while people just want to go about their business are you :)
No, I'm one of those people who regret the lack of an ability to relate to others, unless it is virtual. Which of course, is not real.. And who knows if the "people" in cyberspace are real, anyway?
Since the rise of social media, and of course since Covid, it has increased. Just look at the groups of phone zombies walking with friends while totally ignoring them, preferring to "talk" on the internet.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I'm one of those people who regret the lack of an ability to relate to others, unless it is virtual. Which of course, is not real.. And who knows if the "people" in cyberspace are real, anyway?
Since the rise of social media, and of course since Covid, it has increased. Just look at the groups of phone zombies walking with friends while totally ignoring them, preferring to "talk" on the internet.
Yes, we do live in a phone zombie world you're quite right, it's changing society completely. You can't even go for a beer at the local without seeing 'them'.

It's a blessing and a curse, online life / communication. But it's very real a virtual world, it's stimulating the brain cells even more than that old face to face used to occupy.

Martha's dad

Now Milly's dad
Wammer
Jun 2, 2007
Overstrand
AKA
Papa du chien
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Craig you are not alone, I am also on the North Norfolk coastline now living on my own with an old english sheepdog and no banks.
However, recently I rigged up my NAS turntable, with Morch arm and Ortofn Kontrapunkt cartridge. I enjoyed the ritual of placing the record, and the stylus on the record, then returning to the armchair and felt like Professor T (see the TV Detective series). It was very therapeutic.

My problem is I have a lot of music that cannot be obtained on streaming - rare film music in particular if i can find what I want amongst thousands of CD's and vinyl hidden in old captain's sea chests. But streaming is getting very good indeed and I can rest my osteo-arthritic limbs and graze the Tidal app.

Reactions: Craig_

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I'm one of those people who regret the lack of an ability to relate to others, unless it is virtual.
As an aside from the main point. Some us, a rare few, can cope very well without social interaction. I was stuck in my flat for almost a year without much contact.

Apart from the lack of independence - which was a nightmare - I've never been happier.

Apparently, I'm not on the autistic scale {tho' I disputed this).

Oddly, I've always worked supporting people - Nursing and LD's - and was very good at it. At a cost.

I admit it's rare to be like this, but I've had 50 years of it.

As for CD's, charity shops have provided me with masses of music at a bargain price. Even tho I rip them.

Last edited:

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As an aside from the main point. Some us, a rare few, can cope very well without social interaction. I was stuck in my flat for almost a year without much contact.

Apart from the lack of independence - which was a nightmare - I've never been happier.

Apparently, I'm not on the autistic scale {tho' I disputed this).

Oddly, I've always worked supported people - Nursing and LD's - and was very good at it. At a cost.

I admit it's rare to be like this, but I've had 50 years of it.

As for CD's, charity shops have provided me with masses of music at a bargain price. Even tho I rip them.
👍for charity shops I’ve brought 100s and 100s of CDs during and after lock down .. for me apart from our quality butcher the charity shops are all I tend to go in .. we are a smallish town with one Main Street but have 5 charity shops with another half a dozen within a 10 min drive

I am very able at being on my own but being with people is much better .. although I can’t be doing with chatting about banal rubbish , although it might be interesting to them I just politely switch off, but somehow still manage to appear interested…….

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

The amount of people I used to talk to in work or wherever who said, I saw so-and-so last night, we used to work with or whatever. He/She stood there and was talking about things that are no longer relevant, all I wanted to do was buy some fish fingers, but had to be polite and stand there while they talked at me. :D

Of course, socializing in a Wam show is fun and enjoyable, :) So we are not condemning it completely. But the Wam show is officially a calendar social holiday, and the best one ;) (y)
Never let tedium get in-between a man and his fish fingers. 👌

Craig_

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2020
Norwich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's one of the saddest things I've read recently.
It’s just a totally unnecessary faff - plus I don’t particularly enjoy having to breathe second hand smoke or vape when walking into the local Sainsbury’s/Tesco and I certainly don’t want to listen to crowds of people gossiping & swearing whilst trying to get my shopping or paying for it! I’m certainly not against using brick & mortar outlets in general, I use my local butcher and the same can be said for the curry house & pub, these folks I regard as friends and enjoy their company.

Certain things I’d never consider purchasing online because I have an interest in seeing/hearing them & enjoy talking about them with the dealer - Hifi & vinyl would be some of them!

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: eddie-baby

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still occasionally buy a Deluxe box set CD , I'd never buy the vinyl equivalent , sold all my vinyl re-issues but still like playing my original copies . There is something about SACD , Blu-Ray and CD specials that I like .
There are some excellent CD box sets that have content that is not on the Streaming service platforms. I recently bought Level 42 box set and am very happy - but it's ripped to my Innuos. I back up on three pro portable sealed ssd drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online