myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't see these around too often

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-INN...eAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cd83af31e

http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-INNOVATIONS-P2-MC-PHONO-VALVE-PREAMPLIFIER-/261325779742?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cd83af31e

I didn't know they did an MC only version with a gain control. I have an MM/MC switchable one. A lovely phono amp though if a slightly optimistic price.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its difficult to know exactly what it is worth. What ever someone bids I suppose.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't see these around too oftenhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-INN...eAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cd83af31e

http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-INNOVATIONS-P2-MC-PHONO-VALVE-PREAMPLIFIER-/261325779742?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cd83af31e

I didn't know they did an MC only version with a gain control. I have an MM/MC switchable one. A lovely phono amp though if a slightly optimistic price.
There wasn't specifically an MC only version. All of them had sockets for the T2 MC transformers fitted with internal switching for MM or MC and for Hi Low on the MC. When new I think it was £700 for the MM and £900 for the MM/MC but that was back in about 1993 or thereabouts. It was never £1500. They all (MM or MC) had a gain control.

It could always be made quieter by having the T2 transformers used off board. AI did make a separate transformer case for them which was sold as a T2.

• Upvote
Reactions: hairyderriere

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
pure sound,

I wondered if you would indicate if you thought that the P2 (or even L2) might be just as well refreshed with modern parts without necessarily modifying them?

Are the BP/Audio Note suggested modifications essential to get the best out of these designs, or just an alternative presentation?

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The BP suggested mod simply converts the psu to an LCLC configuration doing away with the active regulator circuit. If the regulator circuit is functionibng as it should then I feel that gives a better more 'live' sounding result.

The Peter van Willenswaard suggestions are more interesting as he was trying to refine/optimise the operation of the regulator circuit. That said, I've never heard a P2 (or L2) configured that way so can't comment on how well it works. On paper it looks promising but is quite involved to implement & set up.

Generally the P2 & L2 used quite well specified parts with resistors never being asked to dissipate more than half their rated power & good quality HT caps. The Jensen PIO's used as signal coupling might be improved on at a price. The Noble pots can become noisy but they are pretty good sounding items so shouldn't be replaced unless absolutely necessary. I think Phil (Papa Lazarou) has had some nice tantalum resistors put in in key locations. Fresh valves can often yield the biggest improvement if any in the unit are still original.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pete can elaborate more on the mods to my early Prototype P2. Certainly had Tantalums, Blackgates and AN Copper caps installed. I believe Pete looked at doing the Shunt mod for my P2, but due to the unusual layout inside (it is the hard-wired prototype) felt it could wait for another day.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
'Live' sounding is very apt and something I really like about mine. Its quite a vibrant sounding phonostage. When I was reviewing the top of the range Modwright kit I had some people over and was using the P2. It was mentioned that at no time would you think you were listing to to a sub £1k phonostage. Not sure what valves I have in mine at present but it does a fine job.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nick, I believe something like the P2 would RRP at over £1k these days. My P2 certainly bettered the £1300 Mingda last year, that said it isn't stock either.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I totally agree. Although the price of the P2 that is for sale on eBay seems optimistic it is in line with its performance IMO.

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The BP suggested mod simply converts the psu to an LCLC configuration doing away with the active regulator circuit. If the regulator circuit is functionibng as it should then I feel that gives a better more 'live' sounding result...Fresh valves can often yield the biggest improvement if any in the unit are still original.
Thanks for your help! I was hoping that might be the case. Do you still, by any chance, have schematics for the L2 and P2?

And it sold for less than £800.... ;^)

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I do, but I'm away in Germany until Sunday evening. PM me your email address & I'll send them when I get back.

(I'm at the euro triode fest with Pete (I should Coco) & Peter van Willenswaard is here so if you have any questions for him re that PSU mod PM them to me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.