AV processors rather than amps - what's still available?

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all

At present I'm using a Pioneer VSX-2021 AV amp for both multi-channel and 2-channel duties. I've an Oppo BDP-73 (I think that's the right model! Blu-Ray player which doesn't see much use any more, the most recent Apple TV 4K and Sky Q on the AV side, and my turbocharged Pro-Ject Essential turntable / Tube Tech MAC phono stage and a Cambridge 740C CD player on the 2-channel. All goes to a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40 for front main duties, with a Concept Centre for, er, the centre  o_O  and Concept 20's for the surround rears. There's a Cambridge sub for multi-channel duties.

In short, the Pioneer isn't very good at all with 2-channel stuff, and it uses too much electricity. I'm looking to try and boost the performance of 2-channel audio while reducing my energy consumption. I'm looking for an amp that will do duty as the heart of the 2-channel setup and also integrate with the AV system, so I'm after something with an HT bypass input that will stand me in good stead for a few system upgrades without getting out of its depth. I'm considering my options in the Class-D world for both the stereo / front amp and also for the surround channels for the AV bit. Currently on my shortlist for contenders are the Primare I25 and the NAD M10 for the main amp, and something along the lines of the Box Designs Amp Box DS2, which I think should be more than powerful enough for surround duties.

However, the real question is how to handle the AV audio processing. What I'm trying to avoid is having to use an integrated AV amp as that means having channels of amplification I'm not using (the main front pair) and the power consumption that goes with it. So I was wondering about going down the route of dedicated AV surround processors. However... 

The only name I really know in that line of product is Lexicon, which is at a level WAY above what I'm looking to achieve. So, are there other companies making this sort of product at a more modest price point (~£1000-ish)? I don't need Atmos capability - I thought about pulling the lounge apart and wiring properly for ceiling mounted effects channels etc but I've decided against that. So 5.1 / 7.1 is quite sufficient. Don't need hundreds of bells and whistles, and I don't listen to multichannel audio only, a couple of music Blu-Rays excepted. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on what's available, and if there's another way to achieve the aim. If I can't keep the overall idling power consumption down to less than the Pioneer I've already got, there's not a lot of point changing! 

Thanks a lot

Jules

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.