Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chaps,

Can the assembled intellect advise me as to the best way to experience the Goldberg variations?

Best regards,

Lindsay

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
There are many fine recorded performances. My personal favourite is the 1981SonyClassics version by the great eccentric pianist Glenn Gould. Wonderful playing. Angela Hewitt for perhaps a more conventional but still magnificent performance. There will probably be as many recommendations as posts, but those are mine.

:)

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is the Gould 1981 version:

[video=youtube;N2YMSt3yfko]

You will find that, the better your hi-fi, the more obtrusive Gould's moaning along becomes (one producer threatened to gag him). Nevertheless, as John says, this is a superlative performance, and this video allows you to see what a wonderful technician Gould was - given the famously low height of his piano chair, you sometimes think that he's going to play a third line with his nose. The contrapuntal lines are played with a wonderful clarity and crispness. The Goldbergs were written for harpsichord with double manuals, so hand crossing is no problem. On a single manual piano it is a problem, so it's fascinating to see how it's done - watch the fun from 7:14 onwards.

I agree that Angela Hewitt's is top-class, as is Murray Perahia's. For the original harpsichord version, Trevor Pinnock's version is excellent.

Plato

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2009
, ,
Here is the Gould 1981 version:[video=youtube;N2YMSt3yfko]

Brilliant thank you.

Although I have his 1981 version - and listen to it a lot, I'd never seen him perform.

Wonderful stuff.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Gould, hmm...

My favourite is Perahia, although I quite like Simone Dinnerstein as well. Shows I have no class, I imagine!

peteAllen

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd second Gould, the 81 version is the one to beat, and the 55 version is great too.

Barenboim has an interesting talk about the Goldberg (although IMO he simply lacks the technical ability to play top notch Bach himself):

Tureck sounds dull to me, and I also don't like Schiff's version - somehow it makes me feel itchy!

If only Sviatoslav Richter had recorded the Goldbergs...

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glenn Gould 1981 - wonderful. As is Perahia. Good reccies above.

I would also suggest you try a version played on an accordion - this is seriously good!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldberg-Variations-Hussong-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000027AA9/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411714417&sr=1-2&keywords=bach+hussong

It sounds just like a small organ (no tittering at the back :p ) and works well with the music. Superb interpretation.

It's Suzuki on BIS for me on harpsichord. Some samples here http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-S-Bach-Goldberg-2-Masaaki-Suzuki/dp/B0000267VG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411714494&sr=1-1&keywords=bach+goldberg+suzuki

peteAllen

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the record, I also think Feltsman and Hewitt's recordings are excellent. I must listen to Perahia's some time

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Robin Holloway has "arranged" the Goldberg Variations for two pianos in a piece called the "Gilded Goldbergs", adding his own twists in places (available on Hyperion). It's OK but not as good as the real thing.

I only have the Angela Hewitt recording of the real thing but I might give Murray Periaha a go as well

k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles