Breaking into the high end with speakers….?

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, ok. Hope you are enjoying your LV’s nak. I heard a pair (think they were R25’s) at Definitive last year. They sounded fabulous on the end of some expensive kit.

Reactions: nak

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forgive my ignorance; what are the boxes (on stands) either side of The LV’s?
I know some of the LVs have the crossovers in external boxes, so assume that's what they are, but I've certainly never seen anyone put them on their own dedicated speaker stands before!

Edit: looking again, the speakers seem to be connected direct from the amps, so I'm not sure they are the crossovers after all. I'm as befuddled as you.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if this has been mentioned but have have you thought of stand mounts and a sub ?

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That's what I would have said until I purchased a REL sub, but I only have the settings on low (my REL's don't have any frequency markings) and I think it adds in a very positive way in a much smaller room than yours. Although it is very difficult to judge the size of your room looking at your photos I'd go with floorstanders, the Q Acoustic 500's look a good option, although my previous post with the Duevel's would still be worth a listen.

Reactions: hiesteem

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have stand-alone subs (and don't want them), but I appreciate the advantage you mention to moderate bass at times that may annoy neighbours. My speakers have twin 12" drivers each side, so ample bass when I want it. However I can attenuate the bass with my amplifier by saying I'm using a sub. This cuts the bass from the Main output by applying a cut-off frequency from anywhere 40 and 200 Hz. Instant restoration of harmonious neighbour relations!
I don't have stand-alone subs (and don't want them), but I appreciate the advantage you mention to moderate bass at times that may annoy neighbours. My speakers have twin 12" drivers each side, so ample bass when I want it. However I can attenuate the bass with my amplifier by saying I'm using a sub. This cuts the bass from the Main output by applying a cut-off frequency from anywhere 40 and 200 Hz. Instant restoration of harmonious neighbour relations!
Av perchance?

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, ok. Hope you are enjoying your LV’s nak. I heard a pair (think they were R25’s) at Definitive last year. They sounded fabulous on the end of some expensive kit.
Love them.
Pretty sure they will never be changed unless I win the lottery.

I know some of the LVs have the crossovers in external boxes, so assume that's what they are, but I've certainly never seen anyone put them on their own dedicated speaker stands before!

Edit: looking again, the speakers seem to be connected direct from the amps, so I'm not sure they are the crossovers after all. I'm as befuddled as you.
They're definitely not external crossovers for the LV's. The R25a's have an internal crossover.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Av perchance?
Absoutely not. No interest in AV, but my 2-channel amp has a no Sub, a single Sub or a 2 Sub choice within Settings. If subs are chosen, the XO can be selected and only those low frequencies go to the sub(s). The Main speaker outlets are attenuated at the same frequency so bass is reduced. As I have no subs, selecting Sub just cuts the bass from Main output, allowing higher late night volumes without over-upsetting neighbours! NAD Master Series M33.

The earlier M32 and current M12 preamp offer much the same, except with more flexibility - the XO can be set differently between the Sub output and the Main output - for what that's worth!

Reactions: m7rso

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absoutely not. No interest in AV, but my 2-channel amp has a no Sub, a single Sub or a 2 Sub choice within Settings. If subs are chosen, the XO can be selected and only those low frequencies go to the sub(s). The Main speaker outlets are attenuated at the same frequency so bass is reduced. As I have no subs, selecting Sub just cuts the bass from Main output, allowing higher late night volumes without over-upsetting neighbours! NAD Master Series M33.

The earlier M32 and current M12 preamp offer much the same, except with more flexibility - the XO can be set differently between the Sub output and the Main output - for what that's worth!
Essentially you are introducing a high pass filter to your system. That's quite a nice feature to lean on.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Living Voice would work well in that space. They need to be a fair way apart and with plenty of space to the sides. I love them, others don't (though I suspect the haters may never have heard them in an ideal space). Worth and audition.

The standmount plus sub is a good combination, but we've already noted the top-floor flat and heighbours, so it may not be ideal.

As for integration, forget it. It needs care, but there is no way a sub will sound like a sub if it's set up properly. I run one here and most listeners have no idea. They are simply surprised how deep the Living Voice seem to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.