ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With his ongoing DAC search I found time to get across town and visit with @Roby79 and have a listen to his Moon D260 streaming DAC and his loaner Soulnote D2 DAC. I took the Pulse and Holo Spring 3 with me.

He likes the node as a transport over the Mind 2 module in the Moon so that's where we began.

Associated Equipment: MF AMS35 class A freaking monster. Avalon Speakers I don't know the model.

His system is very transparent which I was not wholly prepared for even though I think mine is pretty clean in that regard. IN any event, it made comparing relatively easy and I put away the SPL meter after 30 minutes. The DAC in the Moon was pretty good. It sounded detailed, clean, polite, and there was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't "emoting" (that's probably not a word) me either. Roby already has it up for sale, so I guess it's going, but one could certainly live with it and it's a different universe than the Node2 DAC. We put on the Spring 3 and it was deeper. richer, warmer and more bassy than the Moon. His room is limiting in space so to talk about sound stage is harder because we are sitting a lot closer to the speakers than I'm used to. We talked more about "room filling" sound. Roby likes guitar and nice recordings so it was a heavy dose of Nils, SRV, MK, Muddy, BB and some brilliant covers of Ain't no sunshine from Eva Cassidy and Jose Jones.

Let me also say that amp of his connected to those speakers is a really nice combo. They work together well. @CnoEvil I can see why you like that amp so much. The system, regardless of source, has a lot of scale and sheer presence and impact. He's got more coin tied up in cables than my whole system by the look of the diameter of those bad boys. :)

The Soulnote D2 is special. It has all you could want I think. It's more detailed than the Spring and more room filling. I was honestly afraid the Spring 3 would not be able to get close to the D2, but that wasn't the case. They sound different, but each is good in it's own way. The D2 has a bunch of options and filters etc, that we didn't get to use, but in one case I was complaining a bit about "digital glare" brightness, whatever and with the touch of a button it enters NOS mode and all is well again. Impressive.

The Pulse added to the mix was more of the same from past demos: laid back, better bass, vocals move slightly back from the more up front Node as transport. More coherent and integrated. It ended up much as it always does, you start hearing something you like and you stick with it and comparing takes a back seat.

We probably listened to the Spring+Pulse more than the D2+Pulse. Either way it was down to sonic preference. Though, I don't think I'd like the D2 with my speakers as much as I did with his. I made a conscious choice to try and find a mellow, laid back, "analogue sounding combo." The D2 + Pulse probably fits the bill with its myriad of options and filters, the Spring 3 is just a rounder, warmer, slightly less detailed sound.

It's nice to have finally met a fellow Hifi nut and music lover in person.

IMG_6462.jpg

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ChemMan Steve what a great write up. Very useful info especially about the digital glare being erased by switching to NOS mode. Is it a real NOS mode or a simulated one?

Am pleased that you have a local audio buddy. Did you both wear white lab coats for the tests?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Roby79 and Juancho

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ChemMan Steve what a great write up. Very useful info especially about the digital glare being erased by switching to NOS mode. Is it a sticks NOS mode or a simulated one?

Am pleased that you have a local audio buddy. Did you both wear white lab coats for the tests?
ESS D/A chipscan't do real NOS but when no digital filter is applied the analogue filter produces a 5dB drop between 5kHz and 20kHz which will mask the 'glare' but will also rob the recording of its tonal neutrality and perceived sense of 'air':

qd4ZU3z.png

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ChemMan A very well presented assessment (as usual), that gets to the heart of the matter re the differences. Having a fellow enthusiast present as a sounding board makes all the difference.

I'm sure @Roby79 will be along shortly to give his take on things.
(Edit. Given here: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/my-digital-journey.118796/page-4 )

It's interesting that you mention system synergy - and what works in Roby's system may not be ideal in yours. It looks like he has been very clever over the years in putting together a great sounding system.

As Hannibal Smith from the A Team would say:

Last edited:

liongate

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2013
Stamford, UK
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Avalon speakers are either the Ascendant or the Idea, I have had both, either way I’m surprised they are do not appear to be elevated on their coupling spikes as they are ported under the base and need the breathing space.

Attachments

• IMG_9957.jpeg
    IMG_9957.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 1

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Avalon speakers are either the Ascendant or the Idea, I have had both, either way I’m surprised they are do not appear to be elevated on their coupling spikes as they are ported under the base and need the breathing space.
Well spotted - there was a discussion about this - which I'd forgotten about: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/alternative-for-rubbish-avalon-spikes.118492/#post-2406476

IMO. No final decisions should be made until the speakers are on their designated spikes and thus sounding as they should.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He has them but has been waiting to put them on as it’s a recent move and he’s contemplating serious acoustic treatment

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He has them but has been waiting to put them on as it’s a recent move and he’s contemplating serious acoustic treatment
IMV. Another big reason to hold off on big expenditure.

It's quite possible that once the room is treated and the speakers are properly set up, cheaper solutions may prove more than satisfactory.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabski

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I put the spikes that Sunday afternoon, when Alex came by to hear the D2
His conclusion was quite quick an same as @ChemMan an my self