Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Standard system in new mondeo's is pretty good...

Upgade in Passat better...

Saab also better and 9.5 a good long distance load lugger with just THE BEST seating and ergonomics.

Beyond those, better speakers will make the most difference, and with in built stereo head units these days, are the easiest option too for v.little pissing about.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Visited another VW dealer this afternoon - heard a Dyna System not in the Passat but in the EOS Coupe (smart car). Sounded really good even with an iPOD!

Decision time coming in the next few weeks.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Strat wrote:

Visited another VW dealer this afternoon - heard a Dyna System not in the Passat but in the EOS Coupe (smart car). Sounded really good even with an iPOD!Decision time coming in the next few weeks.
If you're wanting a nice stereo, don't get a dealer or manufacturer upgrade. They'll likely soundmediocre and cost a small fortune. Best to buy the car and then - if you're unhappy with the standard equipment - visit a local installer who will fit a decent Alpine head unit and quality speakers. In my experience, this route always comes up trumps.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Injector wrote:

The Strat wrote:
Visited another VW dealer this afternoon - heard a Dyna System not in the Passat but in the EOS Coupe (smart car). Sounded really good even with an iPOD!Decision time coming in the next few weeks.
If you're wanting a nice stereo, don't get a dealer or manufacturer upgrade. They'll likely soundmediocre and cost a small fortune. Best to buy the car and then - if you're unhappy with the standard equipment - visit a local installer who will fit a decent Alpine head unit and quality speakers. In my experience, this route always comes up trumps.
Generally I'd agree with that - but this system really did sound detailed and musical both through FM, CD and through the iPOD adaptor.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was unfortunate enough to own an Alfa 147recently... Ithad the Bose Upgrade - extra amps, uprated speakers, a subwoofer in theboot - but with a Blaupunkt cd head unit. The cd head unit sounded significantly more dynamic than the iPod (which was connected via an Alfa-installed interface...).

My cousin has a Nakamichi tape deck with Acoustic Research speakers in his BMW. Not sure what amps though. Sound is quite special.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

I was unfortunate enough to own an Alfa 147recently... Ithad the Bose Upgrade - extra amps, uprated speakers, a subwoofer in theboot - but with a Blaupunkt cd head unit. The cd head unit sounded significantly more dynamic than the iPod (which was connected via an Alfa-installed interface...).My cousin has a Nakamichi tape deck with Acoustic Research speakers in his BMW. Not sure what amps though. Sound is quite special.
Jezza - the ultimate car hi-fi might well have been a Nakamichi tape deck with quality tapes done on a Nakamichi cassette deck but those days are gone I fear!

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Strat wrote:

Jezza - the ultimate car hi-fi might well have been a Nakamichi tape deck with quality tapes done on a Nakamichi cassette deck but those days are gone I fear!
tongue.png

You're right of course... Now everything we listen to in the car has limited dynamic range. Face it, your sound on the move is going to be compromised...

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
I hate to say it guys but some of the bose kit sounds quite reasonable in cars, especially if the car manufacturer has spend some time in the custom developement. Try an exec Accord with the 6 disc plus sat nav thingy in it. For a standard fit unit it is quite good. Its a long way from being the last word, but in the enviroment of a car its as good as you'll get without spending serious money on something the local chavs will help themselves to.

I think JonR heard one a while back and was quite suprised..

Hawk

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Strat wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
I was unfortunate enough to own an Alfa 147recently... Ithad the Bose Upgrade - extra amps, uprated speakers, a subwoofer in theboot - but with a Blaupunkt cd head unit. The cd head unit sounded significantly more dynamic than the iPod (which was connected via an Alfa-installed interface...).My cousin has a Nakamichi tape deck with Acoustic Research speakers in his BMW. Not sure what amps though. Sound is quite special.
They made some fantastic stuff:

TD-1200 (Basically the equivalent to a playback only dragon for cars with auto azimuth alignment)

td1200ii1.jpg

1.jpg

CD - Changer - 100Mb

100iimb.jpg

Testy

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
vbgarage.jpeg

screens.jpeg

i use an alpine multi media head unit, alpine speakers all round, amps and seperate sub etc... together with 4 screens and dvd.It is not a cheap set up, but was one of the best quality rigs i heard when i was looking for an install. The movie side of it is fantastic, but music , although good, is nowhere near the quality of the home rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.