Can This Be True

F

falconer1

I recently attended a HiFi evening at a local Dealers,and in one room there was a demo going on where it was being demonstrated that bylifting the speaker wires onto blocks off the floor that the sound was improved. Can this be true,or was this more snake oil and hype. the sound to my ears was different- but would not say better,or is this just auto suggestion at work.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There are people that believe this. There are rather more people that believe in alien abduction, astrology and the Great Pumpkin.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
falconer1 wrote:

I recently attended a HiFi evening at a local Dealers,and in one room there was a demo going on where it was being demonstrated that bylifting the speaker wires onto blocks off the floor that the sound was improved. Can this be true,or was this more snake oil and hype. the sound to my ears was different- but would not say better,or is this just auto suggestion at work.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Some floor standers can affect a few types of speaker cables when used with certain amplifiers, its not very often and the great numbers of things on the market for this affect is not only over kill I doubt many work

I can only think of two systems I have heard where there was a less than 1% chance the cable on the floor was adding to the sound problems

the expensive items (as I doubt they where cheap) on demo at the show are not need cups like these upside down at 20 for £2 will do the trick

styrene_cups.jpg

If that does not help a speaker cable which has tissue paper inside it (Ants dad uses it) I use to will do the trick

en_b_2_40.jpg

Audiophile Speaker Cable Series with Tissue Paper Shield

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
There could be somthing in this that vibration traveling along a cable caused by speakers could effect a cd player for example :nuts:but more likely to be :td:cosmost cable is made with rubbery insulation and coverings and would cancel it out again so doubt anything would get though anyhow.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
hifinut wrote:

There could be somthing in this that vibration traveling along a cable caused by speakers could effect a cd player for example :nuts:but more likely to be :td:cosmost cable is made with rubbery insulation and coverings and would cancel it out again so doubt anything would get though anyhow.
Soft, flexible things can't really transmit vibrations. Even if this was an effect, the floor would transmit the vibrations more readily to the equipment - as would the air!

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Turn amplifier on. Roughly handle loudspeaker cables. Hear any rustling noises coming from the loudspeakers? No? Then loudspeaker cables are not audibly microphonic.

File under microphony. :Not Sure:

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Another serious audiophile's tweak that many audiophiles used themselves at home. Surely this effect is system dependent like the flooring materials and how sensitive the loudspeakers you have in the first place. Don't let a few sceptical know-it-all-who-never-bother-to-try-it themselves discourage you. If you actually heard this effect then don't let them accuse you for being mad and delusional.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sensitive? :Not Sure: They would need actual psychic powers...

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Hmm.... The state of general knowledge in hifi forum is really poor. Surelyeveryone knowstring is not a electrical conductor.

Dave is right. The Carpet that your cablesrest on will be very important. As you could understandour expensiveaudiophile cables are not ordinary cables.Since they arehand made with special propertiesit demand careful thought in thechoice of carpets. This is a serious matter so Notaclue please no silly comments. There are awhole lot of compatibility and synergy issues.And it is too complex for science to study it all. There are too manyvariables to be listed soat the end of the dayyou need to use your own ears.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
wolfgang wrote:

Hmm.... The state of general knowledge in hifi forum is really poor. Surelyeveryone knowstring is not a electrical conductor.
From http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/info/kite.htm

And when the rain has wetted the kite and twine, so that it can conduct the electric fire freely, you will find it stream out plentifully from the key on the approach of your knuckle. At this key the phial may be charged: and from electric fire thus obtained, spirits may be kindled, and all the other electric experiments be performed, which are usually done by the help of a rubbed glass globe or tube, and thereby the sameness of the electric matter with that of lightning completely demonstrated.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Thanks Dave for pointing out Ben's famous kite experiment. So the legend goes that our clever Ben wrote a letter to his friend suggesting to his friend he could fly a kite during a storm in order to demonstrate lightning is electricity. However, he being a clever chappy also advised one should hold the whole thing with a ribbon of silk in door so that the piece of silk don't get wet.

Now many people still debate until today whether he really did built such a kite. Many people said it was a hoax. Me... I think Ben did really built a such a kite because when his friends asked whether he fly the kite himself then.............

He said no. He asked a child to do this because he wouldn't want to be seen playing with such a silly childish game like flying a kite. Yeap clever. Very clever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.