Answered Can you use a multimeter to confirm a dead MC cartridge?

This question has been answered.

trumpetman

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
Worcestershire
AKA
Trumpet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have used one to confirm a suspect MM, after doing all the usual checks.
Can you use a multimeter on a suspect MC cart given their very delicate electrical construction?

Paul55

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
NN
All basic digital multimeters will measure sub-ohm resistances, may be not accurately, but enough to confirm that both channels are the same and have a reasonable resistance. You would expect a few ohms but the actual number is quite variable by cartridge design.

No digital multimeter will send enough current through a resistance under test to do any damage.

So 'yes'. I would avoid using an analogue meter though, especially a cheap one., probably fine but...

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All basic digital multimeters will measure sub-ohm resistances, may be not accurately, but enough to confirm that both channels are the same and have a reasonable resistance. You would expect a few ohms but the actual number is quite variable by cartridge design.

No digital multimeter will send enough current through a resistance under test to do any damage.

So 'yes'. I would avoid using an analogue meter though, especially a cheap one., probably fine but...
Even the cheap ones will only pass minute currents on the resistance settings, but I would avoid any kind of continuity tester.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ordinary digital multimeters will be fine. Some older analogue ones (Avos, for example) actually run quite a high current at some resistance measuring scales. Modern self-ranging DMMs use a minute current and are high impedance sources, so no problem.

As Tony suggests, avoid 'continuity testers', as they may put a significant current through what is being tested.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of MM carts have high coil resistance so it should be safe even with a analogue multimeter as dissipation would be in a couple mV region
With MC carts I'd check the specs - open circuit voltage on specific resistance test or the maximum test current if applicable and calculate dissipation as most manufacturers give coil impedance value

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be safe, I'd use the multimeter to exclude all other parts of the phono signal path. If they are all good, then the problem is with the cartridge requiring repair/replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.