Celebrating a new arrival ... Townshend Rock Reference

G

As some here are aware I took the bold step recently of selling a Linn LP12 I first bought for myselfin the late 80s, have owned ever sinceand upgraded into a fairly mean if heavily modded machine - notably Cetech subchassis, Jelco SA750D arm, Hercules II PSU, and various other mods. But I wasn't a happy bunny.

I've been researching the market for quite a while and was torn between a various NA models, a Kuzma Stogi/Stabi (the original one),Rock MK kII, and Roksan Xerxes (a list which should make it pretty clear I wasn't at all sure what I wanted). I even considered doing the DIY Garrard/3012/slate plinth thing.

The out of the blue, as I'mabout to agree a deal on a Hyperspace,pops a Townshend Rock Reference, with original Excalibur arm and Avondale PSU. This is a TT whose name I had long heard whispered in hushed tones (though I'd never heard the TTitself). Should I take the chance? It was in deepest Kent, best part of 2 hours away from me. I went theretonight.

First impressions: it's huge, and seriously heavy (the platter alone is probably heavier than the old LP12).When Isaw it it was covered in dust, its brass bits dull and unloved. No cartridge.Cracked but salvegable lid.Even so, top dollar price. I went for it anyway.

Got it home andan hour later with some elbow grease and brasso (only on the brass bits!) I was ready to do the setup. Put my Supex 900 on. Filled the trough with damping fluid. Some weird goings on with the electrics and earths (I stopped the hum but I don't think it's 100% resolved yet). Setup was prettyeasy, much easier than sorting a Linn.In 5min had Supex tracking all but the top HFN test track (and it nearly manages that too). Promising, considering this latest journey all started with a mis-tracking Lyra (due back soon from its rebuild in Japan).

First up, Beethoven F minor Quartet Op95.. Lots of rhythmic snap. Very precise, very controlled, alles in ordnung, but with all its ugent, compressed emotion right there in the notes. Just asthe popular wisdom about Rock TTs has it, in some ways more like CD than vinyl, but with one difference - the emotional expression was all there.

Buxtehude Op1 sonatas for viola da Gamba, violin & harpsichordconvinced me completely. I also sold myQuad ESLs last week (to Rabski) andam waiting to takedelivery of some modded ESLsby Peter Lindley.I'm borrowing a pair of Martin Logan Vistas right now from a dealer (see review pages).These speaks actually had quite a lot going for them in some ways, but I listened to the same gamba music (Boston Museum Trio) on CD last night and they didn't do it for me at all - no emotion, overbright in the treble, crossover that jumps out at you. Anyway, somehow the Rock put thefeeling back, every playful cadence, every nuance, every smile and every frown from the harpsichordist.

As I've been typing I've had Schwarzkopf/Szell in the Four Last Songs - wonderful. La Diva herself was positioned incredibly precisely, in 3D a few steps in front of the orchestra, with space all around her like she was blocking the way. Horns magnificent, double bass and cello intro to song no3 more subtle yet impactful than I've ever heard it, crescendos full and unreserved. I can't want for my modded Quads now!

Anyway, first impressions as, you can see, are very very good. I'll be able to say something definitive when I get my new Quads, at which point I'll have some serious expectations from this new beast and hopefully will have fixed the earthing issue.

I'm not sorry I sold the LP12 - there is life after Linn and I'm somewhat relieved to behere totell the tale.

M

murray johnson

Nice find. The light sensitive logo is also a fun touch!

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Mmmmm, nice!

What were the design differences between the Mk II Rock (like mine) and the Reference? I think the Ref has a more complex platter, and presumably it has a better motor? I think the bearing is similar. What is the suspension system (mine just has 3 big sorbothane balls, although I'm also using a Seismic Sink)?

G

I've never seen them side by side but compared to the Rock II I think the main difference are:

1) it's bigger/heavier, the plinth is a giant, and the platter is a monster all by itself (I would say right up there in weight with the NA tables)

2) it has an adjustable 'bellows' suspension arrangement built into the inside of the table as well as the big sorbothane balls

3) I don't think there's any internal PSU, this one uses an Avondale external PSU, but a lot I think used the Merlin PSU from Townshend themselves (connects using a 5=pin DIN connector) - I think the Rock II had an internal one but also an external option?

I'm still thinking of having a TT bakeoff BTW once things settle down, would be interesting to bring a few together and see how they compare.

M

murray johnson

I recall that the plinth surround was actually a Nielsen picture frame and that the controls were touch sensitive lamps. As you say the platter was much more massive than that on the Rock2 and if I recall, the suspension, such as it was, was more sophisticated than that on the earlier model. It was a very stable, powerful if slightly dark sounding deck but certainly was one of the very best available at the time. I used to hear one at a friend's place quite regularly. I've no doubt it would see off many modern designs without breaking a sweat!

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:notworthy:

you lucky, lucky.............

great find. Check the platter bearing is oiled enough...they can get neglected, and a couple of drops of machine oil (MT sells the stuff, but I'm sure there is a commercial alternative if you know the required viscosity) will make huge differences to speed stability/pitch IME.

happy listening.

We can soon start a rock club on the wam...I think that's 6/7 peeps now.

Maybe we should start a thread on how you need to nought to improve it and nought to keep it going day to day. ! ;-)

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, I see a sub-club of Rock-ers soon!

They are pretty musical, in fact your description of the singer in her own space is very apt. Instruments DO seem to have their own 'aura'(?) around them.

you're right about the Merlin. Mine uses one.(peeping out on second shelf in pic)

What a great combination! Valves/ELS-de-luxes/Rock de luxe! (AND Donald Fagen!) :cool:

P/S. Engine oil is fine; 5/20. Can get silicone oil from chemists, I believe (the base for polish, after all!)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice one Tom, looks a really good TT.

Would love to come to a TT bake off some time, I would happily bring mine. :)

G

Love the funky paint job!

Yes a bake-off definitely on the cards in not too distant.

W

weald-audio

Once you go to the "trough" theres no going back.i sell em, but i use one too.

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
Since this is a Rock love-in ;) can I ask how the trough swings out of the way for changing a record?

My guess is that it hinges around the screw at the far right of the trough, with the support in the middle being somehow removable. Am I right? And how do you release the middle support? Is it screwed, or it there a catch or lever?

Thanks,

James

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
There is no middle fixing; the screw on the right is the hinge position, and the middle it just rests in place, unless you have one of the posh ones that locks (pointlessly, according to Max)

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
Can I join the rock club as I have a rock ref and also a couple of mk11. I sent all my brass bits of to J7 at audio origami to be gold plated and they have come out a treat. If its any help glue a shelter 901 on the end of your arm .

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
montesquieu wrote:

I've never seen them side by side but compared to the Rock II I think the main difference are: 1) it's bigger/heavier, the plinth is a giant, and the platter is a monster all by itself (I would say right up there in weight with the NA tables)

2) it has an adjustable 'bellows' suspension arrangement built into the inside of the table as well as the big sorbothane balls

3) I don't think there's any internal PSU, this one uses an Avondale external PSU, but a lot I think used the Merlin PSU from Townshend themselves (connects using a 5=pin DIN connector) - I think the Rock II had an internal one but also an external option?

I'm still thinking of having a TT bakeoff BTW once things settle down, would be interesting to bring a few together and see how they compare.
The plinth surround is very different and so is the rest of the plinth (along with a rather stiff suspension and sorbothane feet). The platter is much heavier and has largelead inserts in the plaster and the covering mould is thicker. The arm mounting arrangement is stonger and the bearing is beefed up to support the heavier platter and the trough is more substantialwith brass bling I believe (from memory). I had one for 13 years, but sold it four years ago. :^ :cool:

Looks nice, onceit has run in and settled for a while (day or so to let the suspension and trough fluid settle) it will sound even better. It is one of the few turntables where the lid does not massively ruin the sound.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AmDismal wrote:

There is no middle fixing; the screw on the right is the hinge position, and the middle it just rests in place, unless you have one of the posh ones that locks (pointlessly, according to Max)
The trough lock is for piece-of-mind, as anybody splashing this sort of cash on a TT is likely to have a nice arm/cartridge, so when the trough is locked, it lessens the chance of damage occuring to the cart and bearings of the arm. I used to use it as then you know it won't move.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
anyone had any external work done? Arm re-wiring/ new motors/different power supplies?

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread...maybe start a rock corner? :?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles