Celebrating a new arrival ... Townshend Rock Reference

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
uktel wrote:

BeckypumpsThe V is the latest top flight Rock and the main difference is the new platter material and the air bellow suspension.

The V doesn't sound as dark as the Reference and is even quieter on record imperfections and has an even lower noise floor.

I was devastated to see my one go
So is the Rock v the one with remote vta adjustment?

uktel

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 11, 2008
New Ash Green, ,
The V does not have the remote vta adjustment although it is supposed to be in the pipeline.

The one off Master Reference was the deck that had this function but never made it into production

Terry

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
Terry

Many thanks the penny has dropped . It was the master ref I was thinking off I did not relise that it never made production. Would this be the time line

Cranfield rock (dinsdale)

rock (Bogie)

Rock mk2 (Elite)

Rock ref mk1

Rock mk3 and Avalon

Rock master ref

Rock mk5

Rock mk7

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
beckypumps wrote:

TerryMany thanks the penny has dropped . It was the master ref I was thinking off I did not relise that it never made production. Would this be the time line

Cranfield rock (dinsdale)

rock (Bogie)

Rock mk2 (Elite)

Rock ref mk1

Rock mk3 and Avalon

Rock master ref

Rock mk5

Rock mk7
now confused.The Elite rock (that you call Mk2) is what I thought I owned, but the mark 11 has the ground platter top...flat textured finish with a clean edge, wheras mine has the moulded platter, with a radiused edge and a simple mattish paint finish all over....no grinding at all.

What model do you think I own? (bought 1985, but was ex demo so 84?)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
here's the old girl...note the smooth platter AND green on off button...the trough does say elite rock, but there was an identical version, out a little later, where the platter top had been ground...all else the same....was that the Mk3 then? cos I'd thought the Mk111 was mid 90's. :?

editted to add pic:doh:

uktel

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 11, 2008
New Ash Green, ,
No

That was still a mk11

The mk111 was basically a seismic sink with an actual acrylic platter ala Pink Triangle and you are correct about the mid 90s

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
so mines a sort of MK11a:)

I wonder if it's rare?

(I didn't win the euro rollover last night)

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
My mk2 has a different platter and is 1985/86 . The early ones (mk2) had the clear clamp but they were prone to cracking so the later mk2s had a black clamp. I feel im getting a bit geeky now:shock:

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
beckypumps wrote:

My mk2 has a different platter and is 1985/86 . The early ones (mk2) had the clear clamp but they were prone to cracking so the later mk2s had a black clamp. I feel im getting a bit geeky now:shock:
geek shock also, but it's interesting to read all this...for the last 5 years I seem to have been a lonely rock voice in the wigwam wilderness!

I have a clear clamp

and it's cracked! :)

editted to add, tomorrow I pack the arm up to be audioorigamied...bearing fettle, rewire, gold this and that etc. Will let you know what the results are in due course. :)

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well, geeky too.....my trough doesn't have a 'kink' at the inner end...

Rockmeister; you know you're always ahead of the game?

Oh, and i have a black clamp. Bought in 86, I think, with Merlin supply and base/cover.

Custom painted a year later. (see earlier pic)

I think Max wasn't perhaps consistent in identical looks? You got 'friday afternoon' finishes?

(Sorry, Max! They're all great sounding!)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hornucopia wrote:

Well, geeky too.....my trough doesn't have a 'kink' at the inner end...Rockmeister; you know you're always ahead of the game?

Oh, and i have a black clamp. Bought in 86, I think, with Merlin supply and base/cover.

Custom painted a year later. (see earlier pic)

I think Max wasn't perhaps consistent in identical looks? You got 'friday afternoon' finishes?

(Sorry, Max! They're all great sounding!)
I asked him about the platter shape and finish last time I was in Kew, but he just mumbled something about 'continuous improvements' and since he was busy tring to sell me a table support, I let it go (always a relief to get out without an overdraft). :)

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
rockmeister wrote:

beckypumps wrote:
geek shock also, but it's interesting to read all this...for the last 5 years I seem to have been a lonely rock voice in the wigwam wilderness!

I have a clear clamp

and it's cracked! :)

editted to add, tomorrow I pack the arm up to be audioorigamied...bearing fettle, rewire, gold this and that etc. Will let you know what the results are in due course. :)
Mr 7 made a splendid job of gold plating my knob and weights on the old Excalibur. It would be interesting to try a pu7 on the Rock as it seems to be the arm of choice these days.

Are you getting the sme female end plug fitted?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just cardas internal rewire with cardas gold tags, bearing fettle and lube and new super ofc external cable. Around £160 inc postage.

That done its new cart time...

I love planning and dreaming! :D

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
In the early 80s Mr 7 was the main man for Elite/Townshend in Scotland. He used to run Prism Audio and is a decent guy as well. As I bought my Rock in the mid 80s from inhifi in Edinburgh he supplied it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online