Changing arm on Technics 1210GR

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
As per title, is it worth it?

seems there is some debate as to how good or not so good the arms are on the newer Technics decks.

I am thinking of getting a SME 309 or similar, I can’t see any point in changing to anything lesser price wise, so I will exclude the Rega RB250/300 or derivatives.
The Audiomod looks interesting.
Anyone else changed their arm on a Technics?

Ive seen SME 5’s on some, which seems a bit overkill.

Currently using Audio Technica 0C9 XML cartridge and AT440MBL into Trilogy 906 phono stage.

I like the ease of removable shell for easy cartridge change, hence the 309.

Thoughts please.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May be worth considering a better Rega arm, the 880? As well as the Audiomods.

Would it be worth changing? I had good results, with my Mk2, with an AO'd RB300 but my present Tabriz was a real step up from this.
TBH the Tabriz is going nowhere it works very well IMO.

Would I cough up for an SME? No, upgrade the T/T.

Reactions: Motortown review

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Find your dream cartridge and then match the arm to it .. personal view is also take a look at the Audio Origami PU7, Alphason HR200s (new arm basically a furhter improved HR100S), Kuzma arms, Zeta, Mission SM (the Zeta and SM are I understand very similar) . Go do a list of what takes your fancy that matches your dream cartridge, google all the reviews and try and get your ears around them if you can.

I would suggest (well I have to as I use one) you get your ears around a Decca .. if you fall in love with it (as I did and still in love after 40 years plus) then all you need is a second hand Mayware Formula 4 or Hadccock damped unipivot ..

Paul Allen

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an SME IV on my Technics 1210. Don’t know how the arm fitting differs on the GR but I doubt it’s that different. I previously used an Origin Live Silver mk3 (very briefly) and an audiomods arm but they sounded flat and dull. The IV took this deck into very high end territory. The 1210 also has an external power supply and decent platter mat. For comparison I have an ancient SME 10 and LP12 valhalla / Ekos but they’re both in storage as the Technics is my preference.
Based on my experience, if you’re going to mod it, go big or just leave it be…

montesquieu

Renaissance Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2021
Sandhurst, UK
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hugo Cass of Ammonite Audio has a lot of experience with these Technics decks (old and new) and produces armboards for a variety of arm options. Would be a good idea to look on his site.

I've heard a Glanz MH-900S (the 9in Glanz) on his 1200G and it was stunning with SPU. He also had a 9in Groovemaster which ran it pretty close (for a lot less cash). Both use a standard removable headshell.

The advice to choose the arm based on cartridge you want to use is fair enough as far as it goes especially with a fixed headshell, but with a removable headshell you might find yourself collecting different cartridges for different moods/different recordings (including exploring mono, for example) so the arm would then drive the cartridge you choose rather than the other way round.

IMO the arm choice is more important/significant in the building of a system than the cartridge (cartridges tend to come and go a lot more frequently).

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
I have an SME IV on my Technics 1210. Don’t know how the arm fitting differs on the GR but I doubt it’s that different. I previously used an Origin Live Silver mk3 (very briefly) and an audiomods arm but they sounded flat and dull. The IV took this deck into very high end territory. The 1210 also has an external power supply and decent platter mat. For comparison I have an ancient SME 10 and LP12 valhalla / Ekos but they’re both in storage as the Technics is my preference.
Based on my experience, if you’re going to mod it, go big or just leave it be…
I'm with you on that, I can't see me opting for something lesser than an SME 309 or above as it would seem a small step. What arm is on your SME10 ?

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
Hugo Cass of Ammonite Audio has a lot of experience with these Technics decks (old and new) and produces armboards for a variety of arm options. Would be a good idea to look on his site.

I've heard a Glanz MH-900S (the 9in Glanz) on his 1200G and it was stunning with SPU. He also had a 9in Groovemaster which ran it pretty close (for a lot less cash). Both use a standard removable headshell.

The advice to choose the arm based on cartridge you want to use is fair enough as far as it goes especially with a fixed headshell, but with a removable headshell you might find yourself collecting different cartridges for different moods/different recordings (including exploring mono, for example) so the arm would then drive the cartridge you choose rather than the other way round.

IMO the arm choice is more important/significant in the building of a system than the cartridge (cartridges tend to come and go a lot more frequently).
I definitely want a removable headshell if poss or something like SME 4 or 5, which I believe allow easier cartridge change.

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
You could consider (assuming you haven't already) a better headshell, and fitting a KAB fluid damper on the original. My 1200MkII had that along with a rewire and foam fill from Jonny at Audio Origami and sounded much better for it. Other than that I'd be looking at fitting one of the last Jelcos if you can find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online